2013 golf apr stage 1 tune problems

vedubbmk6

TDI
2013 golf
My golf is a 1/13 production. I bought the car new 6/13. At 3k miles 9-13 I got the Apr affiliated vw dealer(where I bought the car) to install the tune. It was great for the first couple weeks.

After the first 2 weeks apx, the car seemed to revert back to stock mode or maybe limp mode idk. Since the tuned was installed it has been to the dealer twice. Once they tried to lock the ecu(to no help). A couple of weeks ago the car went back and they reinstalled the tune. It was fine for until earlier this week, Monday limp/ stock Wednesday same Saturday same.

I called the dealer yesterday, at this point I am at 8800 miles and will wait to get the problem fixed when service is due. I need to add that when not in the diesel tune mode the mpg drops about 5 mpg. I don't think the dealer has a clue, this is my first tdi so I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Can you scan the ECU for diagnostic trouble codes with a VCDS cable and then post the results here? Maybe it's a problem with a temperature sensor (intake air/coolant/fuel/etc) or MAF sensor gone bad. If everything checks out okay and it's the 'tune' then get your money back from them and give it to Malone.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Can you scan the ECU for diagnostic trouble codes with a VCDS cable and then post the results here? Maybe it's a problem with a temperature sensor (intake air/coolant/fuel/etc) or MAF sensor gone bad. If everything checks out okay and it's the 'tune' then get your money back from them and give it to Malone.
I'd have to agree that you should ask for your money back and locate the closest Malone dealer and get a tune from Malone.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Another vote for Malone...
Mark is excellent, but there are also several other competent tuners out there for our cars (RocketChip, TDTuning, Revo). I knew APR was having trouble with their Passat (NMS) tunes, but its a pity that they cant eben get the Golf/Jetta one working right. APR has always been a gasser tuner, perhaps that should stick to what they do well and leave diesels alone (or at least stop using their customers as beta testers). Stick to tuners with plenty of diesel experience.

Have Fun!

Don

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
Maybe give API a chance?

Just my 2 cents: API has the closest affiliation with VW of any tuner out there, with many joint racing projects, both VW and Audi. There is considerable engineering talent, on staff, full-time.

May I suggest the OP contact API, give the company an opportunity to collect data, maybe make this right? I had API tunes on several of my VW's, going back to my '98 Passat 1.8T. These folks are capable of very good work.

Yes, reading this board, it is clear APR is not up to speed -- so to speak -- with its TDI tune products.

But I want APR to present a competitive alternative. Maybe, with some data collection from problematic installs, APR can do better than Malone. Then, Mark will have to up his game. So will Rocketchip. We win.

So I hope OP gives APR a chance to address the problems. If APR gives OP the brush-off, I want to know that, too!

Last edited:

vedubbmk6

TDI
2013 golf
At this point I think it could be the dealer, they are a new apr affiliate. On the flip side the tune has been installed 2 times and doing the same thing. I will se what happens @ the 10k service when they give it another crack.

If it can be fixed I will go will Malone. Thanks for the feed back!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just my 2 cents: API has the closest affiliation with VW of any tuner out there, with many joint racing projects, both VW and Audi. There is considerable engineering talent, on staff, full-time.

May I suggest the OP contact API, give the company an opportunity to collect data, maybe make this right? I had API tunes on several of my VW's, going back to my '98 Passat 1.8T. These folks are capable of very good work.

Yes, reading this board, it is clear APR is not up to speed -- so to speak -- with its TDI tune products.

But I want APR to present a competitive alternative. Maybe, with some data collection from problematic installs, APR can do better than Malone. Then, Mark will have to up his game. So will Rocketchip. We win.

So I hope OP gives APR a chance to address the problems. If APR gives OP the brush-off, I want to know that, too!
Who/what is API? :confused:

As for APR, they are 4 years behind in the commonrail game, and over a decade behind in the diesel game. If you want to be a Guinea pig and help them play catch-up, go right ahead.

If you want a little history, they just popped in here last year and spammed all of our subforums with announcements that they were now tuning TDIs. They didn't bother to fill out a vendor registration or follow our policies. Worse than that, they didn't involve the community here in development of their diesel tunes - they just showed up and spammed us. Since then, they have filled out a vendor registration, but they haven't posted anything - a far cry from being active and involved in our community.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Who/what is API? :confused:

As for APR, they are 4 years behind in the commonrail game, and over a decade behind in the diesel game. If you want to be a Guinea pig and help them play catch-up, go right ahead.

If you want a little history, they just popped in here last year and spammed all of our subforums with announcements that they were now tuning TDIs. They didn't bother to fill out a vendor registration or follow our policies. Worse than that, they didn't involve the community here in development of their diesel tunes - they just showed up and spammed us. Since then, they have filled out a vendor registration, but they haven't posted anything - a far cry from being active and involved in our community.
That certainly should narrow everyone's choice of tuner...:eek:

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
That certainly should narrow everyone's choice of tuner...:eek:

Well it does and it doesn't. APR will still get some diesel business because of their fantastic reputation they built up on gassers. Their parts are fantastic on those cars and I have nothing but good things to say about them in that world (firsthand experience).

But, it seems they need to do more testing and find out what kinds of things/features diesel people care about. It's a shame their tunes just don't perform like some of the other big diesel names out there.

FistLaw

TDI
2010 Jetta: 6spd manual, APR tune, blk grille
Well its nice to find this thread 4 days after my APR tune!
Hopefully since mine is a 10 they've had time to figure it out.

That said its damn zippy now.

Please post back with updates on this.

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
YES, I meant APR. And the company is missing an opportunity not being involved here, and - agreed - it's particularly bad form to spam the forums and then leave town.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
I've had the APR tune on mine for a bit more than 1-1/2 months. Yes, there are a few issues. I've been in contact with APR and am in the process of obtaining VCDS readings back to them for evaluation. On mine it will occasionally hiccup while the engine rpm is just under 2k, which translates to either at 30-35mph, or 50-55mph depending on what gear the DSG is in. Switching back to the stock program, the engine does not hiccup at all. I thought it might have been the DSG causing it, but it feels more like the fuel is shut off for a split second and then resumes. Once I get my Ross-tech cable/software running I'll hopefully know more. (I feel like a beta tester....)
Not sure if it is my imagination, but over time it has felt as if the program has caused a loss in power also. Right from the start I could feel the additional torque, but that feeling has slowly dissipated. Perhaps I'm expecting too much.
Another thing I might add, fuel mileage has suffered. I can't keep my foot out of it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are you being compensated for your beta testing?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Why do people think that just because you have made a name for yourself tuning gassers - somehow that makes you qualified to tune high-tech diesel engines. APR is not enhancing their reputation by jumping head first into the diesel market with a flawed product. It's a pity.

Have Fun!

Don

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Is it a DSG or 6MT? Perhaps the DSG torque limiter is causing some of the issues? APR claims the DSG does not need to be tuned, but others have said differently.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
It is a DSG

Is it a DSG or 6MT? Perhaps the DSG torque limiter is causing some of the issues? APR claims the DSG does not need to be tuned, but others have said differently.
I thought of that, but when it happens I am not full throttle. I am actually just cruising at speed with a steady foot, not accelerating at all. Thus, there should be no interference from the transmission. (One would think.) I'm getting the Ross-tech cable tomorrow and will hopefully know more by the end of this week.
It would be nice if APR compensated me for this. Who knows, maybe they will if I ask nicely. Otherwise I may just ask for a refund until they can fix the issue. Even though it is well past the 30 days. Thought I would give them a chance to get it right.:eek:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
all the other tuners represented on TDIclub forums in a positive light have stood behind their products and get raves for customer service before/after the sale...
just sayin'

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I thought of that, but when it happens I am not full throttle. I am actually just cruising at speed with a steady foot, not accelerating at all. Thus, there should be no interference from the transmission. (One would think.) I'm getting the Ross-tech cable tomorrow and will hopefully know more by the end of this week.
It would be nice if APR compensated me for this. Who knows, maybe they will if I ask nicely. Otherwise I may just ask for a refund until they can fix the issue. Even though it is well past the 30 days. Thought I would give them a chance to get it right.:eek:
It's your DSG. The only way APR can do anything for you is with a DSG tune, but they don't have one. Just because you aren't at full throttle doesn't mean you can rule out the torque limit. The torque limit isn't a flat line in a map. The DSG knows what it torque input it should see at whatever respective pedal position and gear you are in. When that limit is exceeded, it pulls fuel from the engine trying to keep it in check, hence the stumbling and hesitation that everyone who gets an ECU tune without a DSG tune experiences.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
all the other tuners represented on TDIclub forums in a positive light have stood behind their products and get raves for customer service before/after the sale...
just sayin'
This holds true for Malone in a vice-versa situation to the OP with my brothers MK4 1.8t gasser. I talked him into using Malone vs. the popular gasser tunes and the car is phenomenal. Mark makes gasser tunes as good as he does our TDIs.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
The problem with companies like APR applies to the computer software business too.
The big companies don't always have the most innovation or incentive to find new things.
I have dealt with "number 1" software companies that write pure garbage, but are number 1 just because of VOLUME and SALES. In fact, they spend more time/money on sales than research. The techs wanted to use a program from a small company, but the bosses go by name/paper credentials.

Just look at K&N, who is able to be perceived by most as the best filter, when in fact it is not.
The lovely world of PR and marketing. It's a shame that APR runs in here without even respecting the rules, but hey, that's how you grow big!

Even some of the well known tuners here have lost innovation and drive when it came to tunes that they can push out easily, like for the older VE based ALH's. I think popularity kills innovation, if it 'works', why fix it?
Believe me, as soon I started learning how to tune for myself on ecuconnections forums, I was amazed at how many things were overlooked which were simple enough to implement.

Last edited:

gary2smart

TDI
2013 TDI Jetta
Got APR Tuned 2 weeks ago

2013 Jetta TDI
APR Tuned ECU
Unitronic TCU on DSG.

Basically the same story here went from a wow to blaa! plus my VW dealer in Mt. Prospect IL is telling me that I will have to pay an extra 2 hours of labor to re-flash back to stock $200 :mad:. I have decided that they will never put their hands on my car again. I have since driven a car with the Malone tune and will have them tune over the APR flash. This too has opened my eyes that when at the dealer we pay for all the razzle dazzle and get little in return.
I called APR to complain and was told that they will refund the money for the tune only.
The problem I have noticed is that during the DPF regeneration cycle is when the car starts stuttering as if its about to stall out if driving in Auto mode. It happens when the normal idle RPM moves from 800 to 1000 RPM.
I also observed that everything goes back to normal if you shut the car off to cancel the DPF cycle.
Met with the Malone tuner who guarantees me that this will never be my problem again with a Stage 2. It just so happens that my tuner will be my service mechanic for the life of the car and for the other VWs or Audi that I buy in the future. Dealer take notes I will never even use you for even an oil change again!!!!!

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
That's shameful, two hours of labour. It's a 20 minute process at most.
It's their way of saying "We don't want to do it and we're going to make sure you don't want to do it either.
"If we ever had a customer want to go back to stock, I'd do it for free and it would take 30-45 minutes.

Howling

TDI
2013 Golf 2dr Dsg
2013 Jetta TDI
APR Tuned ECU
Unitronic TCU on DSG.

Basically the same story here went from a wow to blaa! plus my VW dealer in Mt. Prospect IL is telling me that I will have to pay an extra 2 hours of labor to re-flash back to stock $200 :mad:. I have decided that they will never put their hands on my car again. I have since driven a car with the Malone tune and will have them tune over the APR flash. This too has opened my eyes that when at the dealer we pay for all the razzle dazzle and get little in return.
I called APR to complain and was told that they will refund the money for the tune only.
The problem I have noticed is that during the DPF regeneration cycle is when the car starts stuttering as if its about to stall out if driving in Auto mode. It happens when the normal idle RPM moves from 800 to 1000 RPM.
I also observed that everything goes back to normal if you shut the car off to cancel the DPF cycle.
Met with the Malone tuner who guarantees me that this will never be my problem again with a Stage 2. It just so happens that my tuner will be my service mechanic for the life of the car and for the other VWs or Audi that I buy in the future. Dealer take notes I will never even use you for even an oil change again!!!!!
I'm in Northern Illinois as well and was curious who you talked to about the Malone tuning?

Thanks
Eric

andrewspearns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDi Highline
It's their way of saying "We don't want to do it and we're going to make sure you don't want to do it either.
"If we ever had a customer want to go back to stock, I'd do it for free and it would take 30-45 minutes.
I flash APR tunes for the gasser community locally and if someone requires a flash to stock, for whatever reason, I do it for free as well. Sometimes they bring me a coffee for my troubles :)

$200 is a scam at best, and you hit the nail on the head.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Just makes me happy I went with Malone from the get go. I read all sorts of tune reviews. I almost had my Passat 1.8T APR tuned because of the great reputation (for gassers), but other mechanical problems got in the way.

All I can say is, stage 1.5 on my '13 6MT still impresses my friend with a Mazdaspeed 3. He can't believe how close I can keep up with him with only ~160 HP at the wheels. The torque feels great and I have never had a issue.

gary2smart

TDI
2013 TDI Jetta
I'm in Northern Illinois as well and was curious who you talked to about the Malone tuning?

Thanks
Eric
Wisconsin Diesel. Its a little hike but a great test drive after the tune is done. I was and is still in awe of their great customer service. I was being held hostage by APR dealer but they were able to unlock my ECU and program it. I did the CR17 upgrade and did the stage 3 even though I am not a lead foot knowing that the power is there if I need it.