TDI Stuttering Problems after tune up

TDI
jetta 99 tdi
I have a 1999 Jetta TDI 5 speed. with less than 80K miles.

I brought it for a full tune up and the mechanic cleaned fuel system, replaced air filter, brake fluid, glow plugs. He also replced the Air flow sensor because the engine check light was on.

Now when I drive in mostly 3rd, 4th gear, it makes a stuttering (jerking) motion for 3-4 seconds. It was was slight jerking, but now it seems to becoming worst. The car never had this jerking movement until the day I took the car home from the tune up.

Help!

BTW, I had a tune up done at a mechanic I thought I could trust but no longer do. I recommended this mechanic to my friend, and she had her car tuned up and also had issues after the tune up.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
No telling what was done in that case. If you have one of the TDI gurus on this list near to you have them look at the car. You can try unplugging the mass air flow sensor plug (it is on the air filter housing box, right next to the fresh air hose that goes to the engine) and see if it runs better. Unplugged, the ECU uses programmed default values. If it runs better, the sensor is bad. It will give you a check engine light, doing this, though.

You need someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

--Nate

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
I'm sorry to hear that, that is why you need to seek out a honest guru, to undue any sloppiness done. That car should never act up. Find a guru in your area off the list and act for references.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Also, if you come to TDIFest this year, you will meet some of these people and other locals around you. The New England crew is fantastic. http://www.tdifest.com