Clutch pedal vibration

robco

TDI
2003 GLS Jetta TDI loaded
My 03 Jetta has a bit of a vibration when I'm barely putting pressure on it. Kinda like your feeling the throwout bearing. Is this normal. The dealer I bought it from said it had just had a clutch put in it, kinda strange for only 60,000 miles but it was woman owned.

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
I believe this vibration is normal. Both of my TDI 5-speeds do what you describe. My opinion is we are feeling each of the cylinders firing as it seems to be related to engine speed. I was very concerned about it when I bought my first one, but at 134K miles and still on the original clutch, it must not be much to worry about.

TW

robco

TDI
2003 GLS Jetta TDI loaded
Thanks TW that eases my mind alot. Just trying to make sure everything is up to par on it. Robby

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
Is that car an A3/B4? I have a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon (A4) w/ 5-speed type EGR,
about 117k miles, all original, and the clutch is doing the same thing except when
I press (disengage) the clutch (stopped, in 1st gear etc.) it vibrates noticeably.

I believe the release bearing is going bad, but not sure how close it is to the edge
of the cliff. Will plan on getting a complete clutch but hopefully not soon, it'll be
over 1000 USD (maybe 1200) here. Larry

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
L C,

As I said earlier, my experience has been that my 02 Jetta has had this vibration from day one, when I bought it new. It now has 135K miles on it with RC3 and PP520's. The original stock clutch is holding the power without slipping, so far. I also have an 03 Beetle TDI that I bought used and it has the same vibration at 65K miles. If your vibration is the same, its probably normal and I believe it's related to feeling the engine firing.

TW

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
I was wondering why robco had this in the A3/B4 section. Anyway, mine now vibrates/
rattles only when I have the clutch disengaged (pedal pressed toward floorboard) ...
previously it never rattled at all. I'm hoping it's just the release bearing, and no DMF issues. Larry