just aquired new baby!2003 alh wagon

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
My uncle downgraded to a 2010 wagon lol.so i bought his old wagon.Im thouroughly impressed with the tuning,but it seems i have room for some more air at this point.I can get a cloud when i hammer down.Ive got a vnt17,.205's,2.5" exhaust,vr6 clutch,and rocket chip tuning.I was wondering about front mount intercoolers and if they can efficiently burn some more of this fuel by packing in some more air.just wanted to say hi

Last edited:

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
it couldnt hurt if you take your time and put some thought into the route of the piping...

however, id go with all hard piping from the airbox (keep the accordion pipe, or get something equally flexible) all the way to the intake manifold, and a better manifold, as the stock manifold gives better air to #2 and 3 than it does to #1 and 4

i would think cooler air would just make that more pronounced

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Yah i see some guys running the pd intake,this must be for this reason.Ive got an egr block,and crank case vent mod too.I was reading on the rocket chip tune last night.How many differnt vnt17s are there.Still need to ID this one.It can spool to 15psi instanly.I monitor through scanguage

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
First thing: get a real boost gauge. The scan gauge is too slow to use as a tuning tool.

With a VNT-17, nozzles and tuning, yes, you are dying for more airflow. I would start with a turbo intake pipe (T.I.P. or oldman intake). Upgraded intercooler piping, and PD150 intake manifold. You say you have a 2.5" exhaust. Cat-back only, or do you have a downpipe also? If not, a 2.5" downpipe with high-flow CAT would really help.

Your coolant is wayyy too full, also.

Nice vehicle acquisition there, enjoy it.

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
yah got a turbo back system.I was looking at restrictions in the air charge system,and the pre intercooler pipe is rediculously small and squeezed into the wheel well.Are you guys running 2" stuff or 2.5"?Anyone have any idea where my egts are at with the 2.5" pipe when i hammer it?The chip is tuned for the vnt17 and 205s.Im afraid its getting hot.It sure is pushing some power.Can i do a bleed on the n75 for more boost?Im maxing at 33.3 map on the scanguage with atmosphere.I still have a ton of fuel to get to.Hoping to round the torque peak.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
i personally wouldnt try to bleed any more boost etc..
some people put diodes on their map sensor etc.

i wouldnt do that either.

your just asking for trouble if you do

as for inter cooler piping, some go 2.5 and some go 2

id personally go 2.0 with the stock manifold
the higher velocity of the air would help fill the intake manifold at higher RPM's
thats just my take on it though

if your going to upgrade to the PD intake manifold 2.5" piping would probably be slightly better

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Are you guys upgrading the intake tube with some 2.5-3" pipe w/ a "u" bend around to the air box? seems kinda tight?I know the filter is not a restriction ,but if the intake tube isnt a restriction ,will i see increase from upgraded charge pipe?

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Congrads on your new car...

As far as FMIC kits, I would say try upgrading your air system first.

Get a VR6 or PD150 Airbox, MAF, and PD150 TIP.

Then get a PD150 Intake Manifold.

You can also upgrade the lower IC piping and you can get a Eurojet SMIC, it's plug and play and much cheaper and easier to install than a FMIC.

IMHO, that should support your current mods.

Also, check your coolant level... seems a little high in the photo.

Do you have RC3+?

My uncle downgraded to a 2010 wagon lol.so i bought his old wagon.Im thouroughly impressed with the tuning,but it seems i have room for some more air at this point.I can get a cloud when i hammer down.Ive got a vnt17,.205's,2.5" exhaust,vr6 clutch,and rocket chip tuning.I was wondering about front mount intercoolers and if they can efficiently burn some more of this fuel by packing in some more air.just wanted to say hi

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Congrads on your new car...

As far as FMIC kits, I would say try upgrading your air system first.

Get a VR6 or PD150 Airbox, MAF, and PD150 TIP.

Then get a PD150 Intake Manifold.

You can also upgrade the lower IC piping and you can get a Eurojet SMIC, it's plug and play and much cheaper and easier to install than a FMIC.

IMHO, that should support your current mods.

Also, check your coolant level... seems a little high in the photo.

Do you have RC3+?
Yah, its rc3.I have a ton of 2" stainless pipe to do the charge pipe,but i read the intake is sufficient?Do i use the pd150 maf?Got the coolant,check

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RC3 is a GREAT tune .... I love how my car performed on RC3. Give it more air and you'll like it even more.

You may do better with a set up like this. You can still use your elephant trunk set up but upsize the TIP to a PD150 one. You can get it from Ryanp (in the UK) user on this forum or else buy and OMI from some stateside vendors. Best deal by far is RyanP.

This is an R32 box but you can go VR6 or PD150 Airbox/MAF . You use the MAF housing from either of those cars and you relocate your TDI MAF sensor in the housing.

You would also benefit from a PD150 Intake Manifold. this is a very common mod w/ RC3. That and TIP and airbox will improve your performance.

If you wanna go the FMIC route because you have a bunch of piping in stock go for it. I would still suggest the air mods first thought. IMHO, FMIC is not gonna help you move more air through your turbo to reduce your smoke and increase your power, as much as opening up your air system. Look how restrictive the TDI OEM TIP and IM is.

More air = more combustion = less smoke = more powar

Good luck

Yah, its rc3.I have a ton of 2" stainless pipe to do the charge pipe,but i read the intake is sufficient?Do i use the pd150 maf?Got the coolant,check

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Pierre, do you really think that a front-mount, or better IC in general wouldn't help with smoke? I've always thought the opposite. Cooler air = better combustion, no?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I concur, however, personally I would invest in a bigger airbox, MAF, TIP and IM before I add a FMIC, my 2 cents.

That small OEM TIP and IM are very restrictive and opening those up will add a better flowing system.

However, it's your car .... not mine ;-)

A denser charge does have more o2 in it.

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
thanks for the input guys.Ive been reading threads about the airbox and filter being more then sufficient to support big power.Is it just for the TIP that your upgrading the box?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correct, the airbox itself and filter are more then sufficient to support big power.

The only thing that changes between these R32, PD150/VR6 and the TDI airbox is the size of the opening in and out of the box and the snorkel which connect to it.

We upgrade the boxes for the up-sized 3" or 3.25" MAF and the upsized snorkel which allows more airflow in and out of the box. The box itself is identical dimensions.

thanks for the input guys.Ive been reading threads about the airbox and filter being .Is it just for the TIP that your upgrading the box?