Anyone install central lock switch to the inside of a B4

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
It's annoying to have to stick the key in the door to unlock the rest of the doors or the fuel door. I know my MK3 had one on the dash, but I'm curious as to why the B4 doesn't. Anyone ever install one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Pulling or pushing the driver plunger acts like a switch.

-Todd

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
So if I just have the drivers door unlocked I have to push down (locks all doors) then pull up (unlocks all doors)? I'd like to stay away from the pump having to run that wasted step of locking them all first

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Personally, I think you’re overthinking the issue, but there are plenty of aftermarket door lock systems.

-Todd

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
I definitely overthink often!

I'm not going to think about aftermarket locks. It was a nightmare sorting out the one in my Corrado from the PO. I was just seeing if there was any kind of OEM+ solution, and if not I wasn't going to really put that much effort into it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
People have installed the 1998-99 A3 Jetta CCM into those cars I believe, that not only allows for the input of that dash button but also gives you the two mode lock operation AND keyless entry. I do not know what all is involved with that, but it probably is not too terribly hard.

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
People have installed the 1998-99 A3 Jetta CCM into those cars I believe, that not only allows for the input of that dash button but also gives you the two mode lock operation AND keyless entry. I do not know what all is involved with that, but it probably is not too terribly hard.
That's what I was looking for! I'll start digging into that to see what's involved

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
White box installation won’t add dash control, only remote locks. I’d imagine pulling the switch and harness out of a Jetta would be possible to install in the Passat. I’m not sure if any wires from the switch go to the white box...

I’d bet I used that switch in my Jetta less than 5x. Do you lock your doors once you’re inside?

From personal experience, I’d go aftermarket before going with the white box. The fob range is pretty poor.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
White box installation won’t add dash control, only remote locks. I’d imagine pulling the switch and harness out of a Jetta would be possible to install in the Passat. I’m not sure if any wires from the switch go to the white box...

I’d bet I used that switch in my Jetta less than 5x. Do you lock your doors once you’re inside?

From personal experience, I’d go aftermarket before going with the white box. The fob range is pretty poor.

-Todd
Very poor unless you open the white box and add a wire for antenna.

I would tend to agree, I maybe used my interior lock switch in the Jetta only a few times ever, I just don't think that much about it. It's not like newer cars that lock you in when you get past a certain speed.

I added white box to my 97 Jetta because I had one, and I've picked these up over the years when I found them and intact because they were installed on all 98 up Mk3 cars. You wanted to make it work though you had to buy the fob from the dealer.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you cant just add an antenna, you have to get the correct amount of turns and wire distance and a boost on the crystal chip. been there, done that. after i was done my mod, i was able to lock and unlock (more specifically to blast my train horns) from about 1500 feet away with the jaw trick.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Last edited:

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Get the ignition key switch and then key the others yourself, it’s very easy. I have a writeup on here I posted years ago.
I've re-keyed locks before by replacing the little slides/wafers/pins in the tumbler, but thought it might just be easier to buy a complete set.. I mean, on Ebay if a kit includes OEM front door handles, and all the locks, and all my locks are acting up, and my non-OEM door handles are all slightly broken with cracks in the cheap pot-metal, then it seems to make sense to just pay $200 for a kit that includes all that stuff. Especially if I want to keeeeep it OEM.

Thanks for the good reminder though! I greatly enjoyed reading about your flight-controller joystick ignition project when I came across it a few months ago!!

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've re-keyed locks before by replacing the little slides/wafers/pins in the tumbler, but thought it might just be easier to buy a complete set.. I mean, on Ebay if a kit includes OEM front door handles, and all the locks, and all my locks are acting up, and my non-OEM door handles are all slightly broken with cracks in the cheap pot-metal, then it seems to make sense to just pay $200 for a kit that includes all that stuff. Especially if I want to keeeeep it OEM.

Thanks for the good reminder though! I greatly enjoyed reading about your flight-controller joystick ignition project when I came across it a few months ago!!
You might be less impressed with the new ones you're buying on Ebay though.

Generally you can get the non-OE handles to work pretty well with some tweaking and careful install. The little plastic tip at the end of the latch finger does adjust up and down, and you can also tweak the latch levers.

Biggest thing is to be sure that the latches themselves are clean and well lubricated. I think it's too often that a gunked up latch ruins a reasonable door handle when it wasn't necessary.

Steve

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
I got my ignition fully disassembled and discovered the "little tab" at the bottom of my tumbler had broken off, and that this is a fairly common issue. I also saw the pin that holds it all together and observed how easy it would be to buy a random replacement tumbler and simply swap this part onto the old tumbler so I can keep my old keys.

So I shopped a bit, tried to find a nice German made replacement tumbler and ordered it for about $25. It should arrive tomorrow.

All this seems to make much more sense than buying a full set of everything.