www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:49   #16
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

I’m sure those extra two plugs near the ecu and maf were for the 5th injector probe and power for the 5th injector pump.

Did the engine not come with the Passat cluster and wire harness?
Josh_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 11:31   #17
njt1rider
Veteran Member

TDI(s): T1N
Fuel Economy: 22ish

Couple quick thoughts:

-Josh I believe you are correct as there is a port in the exhaust for the 5th injector. Looks like it has already been deleted. I have not had any luck finding the schematic to verify which plugs actually go to the fifth injector but I have everything else I need so I'm not too worried about it

-We have the Passat cluster but for some reason don't have the U1 and U2 wiring harness. We would like to upgrade to the newer style cluster so I have sent a request to Frans and we will see what happens. At the very least I need to find the instrument cluster harness.

-The ETKA website I was thinking of is oemepc.com I can get it to work on my phone but it still appears to be infected with a virus and wont open on my computer as my virus program blocks it. Any other solutions?

-I will not be able to use the gasser pedal in the Eurovan because it is an "otto" and I need a diesel. Once again a request to frans but I could also just fabricate one use the A3 Pot as I did in my last swap. I think having the proper pedal would be slicker and easier and more reliable but we will see.

-The connector plug going from G1/2 to G2/2 is the outside temperature sensor and I believe it connects to the instrument cluster via U1 or or U2

-We will need to source a newer style ECU for tuning purposes

-Will delete the EGR and use an EGT probe in the EGR delete plate

-The starter plug I was referencing is for a clutch switch so you cant start the vehicle without the clutch depressed

Last edited by njt1rider; October 2nd, 2018 at 11:34.
njt1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 16:02   #18
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

A guy I helped through his 01 diesel conversion purchased a 2.5 tdi pedal from Europe and was plug and play, and bolted right on. It looked just like the vr6 pedal.

I put my egt probe into the egr delete plate on the exhaust header, but I think it’s not a very good setup. It’s only really grabbing heat from cyl 4. Maybe you have a different header.

Do you know if the ABL sump will need to be modified to fit, with the engine connected to the syncro transmission?
Old October 2nd, 2018, 21:42   #19
njt1rider
Veteran Member

-I would like to use the 2.5 TDI pedal but we will see if I hear from Frans. I picked up an A3 pedal pot just in case

-I am planning on putting the EGT probe in the EGR blanking plate but asked Kerma where they usually put it and will probably go with their recommendation.

-Sorry for the ignorance, what is the ABL sump?

-Sourced an FA ECU. Is there anything I need to consider with the wiring harness when switching to this ECU? (Mainly thinking glow plug circuit)

Found the only TDI in the pull and pays in Colorado so took the opportunity to snag up all the missing parts:

Too bad theres a group of guys that go around the junkyard and cut out the ECUs of every vehicle and put them on ebay. Pretty crappy if you ask me:

This Jetta has only been in the yard for about a week. Its a shame as it was a pretty well taken care of TDI. Looks like they snapped the TB belt. Engine and trans is still there if anyone in Colorado Springs is in need...Most definitely TB/piston/head impact issues:
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:24   #20
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

ABL sump = ABL oilpan. If you do go with the old pot, there is someone who makes a factory style bracket, but you would still need to put together the pedal.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 10:35   #21
njt1rider
Veteran Member

Here is some info on the 02D Syncro transmission (gear ratios). I have not found the exact ratios for the CTV trans which I hope to find soon out of curiosity.
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43863

Here is Justin's write up of the Syncro conversion. Will be dissecting that post pretty closely here soon:
http://greaseworks.blogspot.com/2015...er-syncro.html

Josh, I would love the info of the guy who makes the bracket. I remember whatever option I used on my last swap was pretty straight forward and simple but the easier the better I say! Ideally I would go with the 2.5 Pot as taking out the pedal cluster is a HUGE PITA.

Oilpannnn Ohhhh I got ya. Hmm yeah I don't know what modification needs to be done. If I remember on my last swap the biggest difference of the oil pans was that the drain plug was on the front of the engine instead of the rear. I can't really see how the syncro will affect anything at the moment but maybe I will have an Ah Ha moment when I start putting it all together. If you have any more info on what you are talking about Id love to hear as it sounds like it could be important!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:59   #22
njt1rider
Veteran Member

Another issue I thought of so just wanted to throw on here:

With my 93 I just threw the A3 air box in there and called it good. I think I would like to use the stock Eurovan air box in this build. I think I have read where people have used the stock air box. I need to find that information. If I can use the Air Box and MAF from the Eurovan it would be very slick and convenient. Just glancing at the 2 MAFs side by side, the 1z has 6 wires where the EV has 5 wires...doesn't seem so promising...anyone have any insight on that?
Old October 3rd, 2018, 15:43   #23
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

This is the guy who put a 1z into his 02 EV. He used the stock airbox and managed to connect the 1z maf housing to it. He said he explained it in his video. If you’ve got time, you can watch through and see some differences to converting the 93. One is that the vr6 high side power steering line is perfect for reaching the low slung pump.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 16:46   #24
njt1rider
Veteran Member

Did you mean to add a link?
Old October 3rd, 2018, 18:06   #25
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

Oops. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7f4T3120lc
Old October 4th, 2018, 04:51   #26
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njt1rider View Post
Another issue I thought of so just wanted to throw on here:

With my 93 I just threw the A3 air box in there and called it good. I think I would like to use the stock Eurovan air box in this build. I think I have read where people have used the stock air box. I need to find that information. If I can use the Air Box and MAF from the Eurovan it would be very slick and convenient. Just glancing at the 2 MAFs side by side, the 1z has 6 wires where the EV has 5 wires...doesn't seem so promising...anyone have any insight on that?
The stock airbox pulls air through the RT fender intake grill-which the early short nose T4s did not have. The later SN fenders are bolt whereas the early SN fenders are spot welded on. I have interchanged them. The later SN fenders mount a little different behind the front bumper and the front bumper is secured differently but again are adaptable.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 07:36   #27
njt1rider
Veteran Member

Mogly, I dont think I understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting using a 93 airbox, MAF, and fender? I can already say that we are probably not willing to swap fenders. I would ideally use the stock 2003 EV airbox and MAF. If not that, then stock EV airbox with the TDI MAF

Last edited by njt1rider; October 4th, 2018 at 07:52.
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:35   #28
mogly
Veteran Member

I had it in my head you were swapping into a '93. Maybe a case of one too many dark roasts this AM. haha. You're swapping into an '03 which ALREADY has the right fender intake grill- this is perfect. I'd suggest the factory ACV 2.5L air box and MAF, simple bolt in. If you work an alternative though, i'm all ears.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:41   #29
njt1rider
Veteran Member

yes that would be ideal along with the 2.5 pedal pot....FRANSSSSSS!!!! Where are YE?
Old October 4th, 2018, 18:15   #30
njt1rider
Veteran Member

Made some progress today:

-Power washed the engine and trans. They don't look half bad! They will look much better re sealed and mated

-Pulled the engine and transmission wiring harness out of the 03 EV. I thought the 93 looked like a rats nest back there...this fuse block is a nightmare

-lined some parts up to get the vision going. Realized the half shafts we have do not have tone rings for the ABS. I haven't verified but I think these are the 100mm half shafts and not the bigger 108s as mentioned in Justins blog. hmmm. I am hoping we can swap the outer ends with tone rings of the 108s onto the rest of the 100 shafts. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

-Hopefully making an order with Kerma in the next couple days and when we get that we can really start making some tangible progress on this project.

-How does removing the Engine and Trans from the 03 affect the canbus system? Seems like that could be a big issue but because there are a few 01-03 swaps running around I'm guessing its not a big deal?