www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 5th, 2013, 20:04   #61
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

Trans went in in March. There was a mileage jump then. Warmer weather compounded with the 6 speed would be May.

Not looking forward to winter.
Old September 14th, 2013, 16:13   #62
Uberhare
Veteran Member

New clutch will be here next week! Time to pull the gearbox again...
Old September 14th, 2013, 16:35   #63
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Ouch.

How hard is it to take out the gearbox in the passat? Does it seem easier then the MK4 jetta?
Old September 14th, 2013, 17:32   #64
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Depends which gearbox! I can yank this 6 speed in about an hour. (Don't ask me how I know)

The auto is a bit more work. You have to drop the subframe out of the way.
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:07   #65
Ropre

Jason

When pulling the auto tranny did you remove the subframe all the way, or just lower it? Meaning can you leave it attached to the lower control arms.
What clutch are you using now?

Thanks -Rory
Ropre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:09   #66
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropre View Post
Jason
When pulling the auto tranny did you remove the subframe all the way, or just lower it? Meaning can you leave it attached to the lower control arms.
What clutch are you using now?
Thanks -Rory
No need to mess with the subframe at all. Clutch is a DC clutch. Whitbread can give you more details on it.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:58   #67
Ropre

Really. Wow you can get to all the transmission bell housing bolts and remove the junkbox (auto) out without loosening the subframe at all? Cool
Yes I am currently in communication with Matt about buying a clutch through him.

Thanks again.
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:17   #68
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Quote:
Really. Wow you can get to all the transmission bell housing bolts and remove the junkbox (auto) out without loosening the subframe at all? Cool
Yes I am currently in communication with Matt about buying a clutch through him.
Thanks again.

That is definitely not correct. I just did this job. Took a lot of pics, perhaps I should post them.

Anycase you HAVE to drop the subframe, not all the way, but enough to tip the ZF auto trans down to get to the bellhousing bolts. This requires removing the bolts in all four corners of the subframe and disconnecting the lower strut/shock mount, along with holding up the engine.
Now I heard with a manual, it is not needed to drop the subframe.

Old November 20th, 2013, 11:20   #69
vwztips
Veteran Member

I have not managed to do that. my extensions do not bend like that. Not saying it can't be done.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 15:24   #70
Ropre

Sorry Sprocket,

I ment the other Jason (uberhare)
Old November 20th, 2013, 17:37   #71
Uberhare
Veteran Member

To pull the auto - drop the subframe. Doesn't have to come right out but drop it down out of the way.

The 6 speed is small enough it can be removed without touching the subframe. My Sachs racing clutch is sitting on the workbench waiting....Oh I miss 27 PSI.
Old November 20th, 2013, 17:45   #72
Uberhare
Veteran Member

To further explain the clutch - I went with the stock DMF 240mm setup and a Sachs racing clutch. I actually spoke with a tech from LUK on the DMF vs SMF issue on these transmissions (and in general). If you measure the weight difference between a sprung clutch disc and unsprung, the difference is pretty significant. I went to the shelf later and verified...Yes pretty big difference. All of that extra rotational mass has to be slowed down by your syncro before it will engage the syncro hub. Your syncros will wear much quicker with all that extra force it has to "brake". Some domestics actually use a lining on the syncro gears similar to a brake material. Think if it like pulling a trailer all the time on your brakes. Extra load on every stop, they WILL wear much faster.

So I decided to stick to the factory DMF. We'll see how it holds up.
Old November 20th, 2013, 22:58   #73
Ropre

Ubershare-
What did you do to deal with the minimal pilot bearing engagement do to the 5.5mm spacer? What is your opinion of having the 6 speed box? Do you think you could have lived with just 5 gears and a slightly higher rpm on the interstate? If you can please try to answer this pretending the 5 speed box was just as stout as the 6 speed and could hold your 27 psi just fine? Thanks for humoring me.

Last edited by Ropre; November 20th, 2013 at 23:01.
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:20   #74
jonlowe
Veteran Member

The 5 speed and 6 speed TDI boxes have the same final ratio, so the highway speed RPMs in top gear are the same. Intermediate gear ratios are different.

Jon

Quote:
Ubershare-
What did you do to deal with the minimal pilot bearing engagement do to the 5.5mm spacer? What is your opinion of having the 6 speed box? Do you think you could have lived with just 5 gears and a slightly higher rpm on the interstate? If you can please try to answer this pretending the 5 speed box was just as stout as the 6 speed and could hold your 27 psi just fine? Thanks for humoring me.
jonlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:53   #75
vwztips
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
The 5 speed and 6 speed TDI boxes have the same final ratio, so the highway speed RPMs in top gear are the same. Intermediate gear ratios are different.

Jon
There is one exception that I know of which is the DQS gearbox. I do not know from first hand experience, but from what I have read here, it seems there are issues with the resonances in 6th gear due to the taller gearing.

There are plemty of threads and discussions here about the pros and cons of the 5 speed vs 6 speed. Personally, I am more than pleased with the 5 speed.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote