www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 17th, 2019, 10:18   #7291
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
My B4 came without the rear Passat TDI emblem. I'd love to replace it if anyone has one kicking around.
I had a vinyl decal made to replace mine. You can see it in my sig photo.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust ē CCV/EGR Deleted ē Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ ē Autometer Gauges ē Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 22:00   #7292
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

After hiding in the garage since (I think) November 2017 The Mk3 gets a new timing belt.

Had to change it because it's being moved to the new building tomorrow.

I had forgotten what it was like to drive it. I've been driving the B3V as a DD since early 2016, the Jetta only came out a couple times when the B3V had to be down for overnight maintenance.

Timing was almost spot on when I set it after the belt change in Vag-com.

Had a pic but with photobucket blurring everything seemed worthless to post it.

switched it to Imgur, time to move everything off PB I guess.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Addy; September 28th, 2019 at 20:03.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 15:19   #7293
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Been a few months, so I went to the junkyard. Last 2 trips, I left empty handed. This time I found a vr6 Passat sedan.... haven’t had a B4 in the yard in probably 5 years. Body is good, but the paint is trashed. Interior is also trashed.

Grabbed the 2 piece grill, door pins and instrument cluster. There were 2 rubber pads on the rad support that the metal grill sat on... never saw these before. Will be going back for the hood, bumper and front doors. Don’t need them, but you never know...

The mirror control actually had the clips on it... pretty rare to see this.

Rear left door won’t open from the outside or inside... I’m guessing the door panel will need to be sacrificed to get in?

Found some old A/D/S passive crossovers in the trunk. This was high end audio, from yesteryear... curious what’s in the doors. Me loves some quality gear....

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 20:27   #7294
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy
Had a pic but with photobucket blurring everything seemed worthless to post it.
I wonder if their goal is to kill their own company. They now have millions of images all over the web, that deliver one message: "This is how your photos will look on Photobucket."
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 21:11   #7295
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Been a few months, so I went to the junkyard. Last 2 trips, I left empty handed. This time I found a vr6 Passat sedan.... havenít had a B4 in the yard in probably 5 years. Body is good, but the paint is trashed. Interior is also trashed.

Grabbed the 2 piece grill, door pins and instrument cluster. There were 2 rubber pads on the rad support that the metal grill sat on... never saw these before. Will be going back for the hood, bumper and front doors. Donít need them, but you never know...

The mirror control actually had the clips on it... pretty rare to see this.

Rear left door wonít open from the outside or inside... Iím guessing the door panel will need to be sacrificed to get in?

Found some old A/D/S passive crossovers in the trunk. This was high end audio, from yesteryear... curious whatís in the doors. Me loves some quality gear....

-Todd
Todd, nice catch, haven't seen a JY B4 passat in quite a while. Keep hoping that one will come in. OTOH my local upull got a 1987 Quantum Syncro a month ago and failed to let me know, they sold it whole and rightfully so, it was actually in decent condition. Paint was dry and there was some clear loss but I didn't see any rust concerns. I would have liked to have had it, I had a red one years ago...it was nice.

I'd go ahead and sacrifice that door card in order to find out what's in that door, maybe you can just slice a big hole in it inside to access the door latch?

Also, I would see if it has the lower belt cover on the right side, those are nice for preventing water from splashing belts in rain and / or winter. Especially if you don't run the lower belly pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
I wonder if their goal is to kill their own company. They now have millions of images all over the web, that deliver one message: "This is how your photos will look on Photobucket."
Yeah, most people will just sacrifice the images that are there and move on to something new. I have had imgur account for a while but just opted to use PB because most of my pics were already there, now it's time to move, blurry pics aren't pics at all, and that big photobucket watermark is awful.

Steve
Old September 29th, 2019, 05:48   #7296
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I have a ton of black door cards someone can have if they want them. I need to clean out the barn and they’re just getting tossed otherwise.

I also have most of an interior and exterior to a B4V someone can have if they want. Also free.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 08:18   #7297
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
Also, I would see if it has the lower belt cover on the right side, those are nice for preventing water from splashing belts in rain and / or winter. Especially if you don't run the lower belly pan.

Good call. Forgot about that part. I actually bought on a few years back, and I still havenít installed it.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 21:39   #7298
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Good call. Forgot about that part. I actually bought on a few years back, and I still havenít installed it.
-Todd
There's also an exhaust shield but I doubt it's there. I've only seen two ever on 6 cylinder B4 cars and bought one of them. I had to straighten the front but managed to get it fixed. The other was ok shape too but passed on it when I probably shouldn't have, I could have used it on the Mk3 I would think.

I need to start checking the JY searches again just to be sure I'm not missing any B4 cars when they come up. I have notifications setup on Row52 but there are a couple yards that have their own search facilities.

Steve
Old October 14th, 2019, 14:47   #7299
Phi1osopher
Veteran Member

Yay! Got a few handy things knocked out today: replaced the A/C fresh air/ recirculating vacuum switch, fixing a problem that has nagged me for months.
Then I replaced the shift-cable "Manual Transmission Relay Lever Cable Carrier" that broke on my Mexico trip. Boom goes the dynamite. FIXED!

and then I tried to replace my missing clutch pedal return spring, but I got the wrong one sent to me... the one I received is too long. I'll have to order another and try again.
Phi1osopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2019, 14:24   #7300
lisab4
Veteran Member

Half-installed the rare gun case in the passenger door. Needs a bit of tweaking to finish it :/
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:21   #7301
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-52

Air up the tires and drove it after neglecting it for a week or two.

The beloved B4 has taken a back seat to the JSW lately, but it still fired right up and ran like a sewing machine.

97B4TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:33   #7302
CAYB

TDI(s): MK6 1.6 CR

Installed bags and test fitted some wheels.

BBS RS (RS008 & RS009)
16x7 16x8 on 165/40

VW MK6 Vancouver with a bit frame notching.
18x7.5 on 165/35

CAYB is offline   Reply With Quote