another custom downpipe / exhaust

melvinsneed

TDI
06 Jetta
nivram said:
Cool. How did it affect your mpgeez and performance?
The car feels as if there is more torque at all RPMs. It is fairly quiet until you put your foot into it, then it sounds like a diesel pickup with an open pipe.

I drive about a hundred miles a day, and I have observed a slight, maybe three percent, increase in mileage. Although, I have been putting my foot in it quite a bit since building the exhaust.

Overall, I think it was worth it.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Thats how I make them, as well, I use 2.5 304 SS, and drop the front mount, I will usually use the Boost Logic rear pipe, or build a 2.5" to the back.

They have a wicked turbo sound to them.

melvinsneed

TDI
06 Jetta
Mach1 said:
Thats how I make them, as well, I use 2.5 304 SS, and drop the front mount, I will usually use the Boost Logic rear pipe, or build a 2.5" to the back.

They have a wicked turbo sound to them.
Yeah. I think 2.5 inch pipe is a good improvement over the OEM size. I should have gone with the longer flex pipe, like I have seen you use. The rest of my system is 2.5 inch ss409.

Mach1

TDI
Man looks good, does the job..

I must confess, you have a little more work in yours then I put in them.

I have 3 sections on the dp, yes the vibrant flex 10" is the way to go.

I have some 7 sections on the baack, thank goodness for the pre-bent piping.

I usually leave out the muffler, as we look for a wicked turbo sound. If we want muffling then we use a high flow cat, which takes off a little bit of the 'edge'.

It still takes me about 7-10 hours to fab one.

How does yours sound?

Mach1

TDI
Its too tight for my liking over the rear suspension, if you use 3" you are making it hard on yourself, so I stay with 2.5"

I had plenty of room in the back using 2.5, for movement and fudge factor.

3" does have a wicked sound to the turbo.

melvinsneed

TDI
06 Jetta
Thanks Mach1!

My flex pipe is a little stiff, especially when compared to the factory flex pipe. Will go with Vibrant if I ever do this again.

I decided to do the individual cuts because I really didn't know how many, and what kind of bends I would need. Not to mention, the 10 foot section of 409 stainless steel was under $100.

When I do my wife's truck, it will be pre-bent pipes. I can't imagine doing all of those welds on 4 inch pipe.

I first installed the exhaust with no muffler or cat. The turbo was loud, even at idle, and the car sounded much like a strait piped Dodge Cummins when you put your foot in it. I installed a Pypes 2.5 inch stainless muffler, which produced a fantastic sound. It sounds smooth, deep, and powerful. I should have left it that way, but...

...I decided to put another cat on it. I bought a Magnaflow 94006D; I don't think it is high flow, but the folks at Magnaflow said that it was tested on a 6.2 liter diesel w/turbo, and pulling a trailer. They didn't feel that I would have any problems with it.

I still have no idea if it is the proper size?

The noise is quite a bit softer, and the exhause smell is back under control.

Mach1

TDI
Good job, I usually will put a cat in there as it takes the edge off the whistle.

I use the high flow Magnaflow cat 2.5"

They sound wicked!!

Mach1

TDI
Its either a 5 or 6mm allen..not tacked on...