www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 18th, 2019, 10:16   #436
peppy2.0

In reading through this thread, I have a question for you guys. My 2015 GSW TDI is due for CA SMOG. I bought the car after Dieselgate with the phase 1 already done. Car has 41k miles (DSG).

If I read some posts correctly, since I passed 40K in mileage, should I wait to get phase 2 done till I'm closer to 70K (I think it was something to do with an extended warranty)?

If the answer is yes to wait, can I still pass SMOG without phase 2 done? I made an appointment for next Tuesday, but may cancel.

Thanks in advance for the info.
peppy2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 12:08   #437
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

DSG cars were at 40k miles and you can get it done when ever you want. I wouldn't necessarily put it off for too long though. There is a part A and a part B to this as your mileage is low. Part A installs a sensor and some pipe for it and programming. Part B adds a new DPF and some other stuff. You should only be getting part A done now and go back at some point undefined in the future to get a new DPF and stuff for part B. CA SMOG should have no issues passing you as is in my opinion, but I live in Texas so I am sure someone from CA will also weigh in.
Old June 18th, 2019, 12:42   #438
bizzle
Veteran Member

You're cleared for smog in CA. There should be a sticker under your hood indicating phase 1 is complete and your vehicle is in compliance with CARB and Federal regulations.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 05:55   #439
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Had my Phase 2 fix completed yesterday at 60,400 miles. Absolutely no difference in the car’s behavior, maybe slightly smoother shifts? Dropped my car off on a Tuesday morning, and the fix was completed by Wednesday evening.

Some interesting things of note, my dealer told me they have been doing ~40 Phase 2’s a month. Also had to sign three different documents certifying that my dealer did in fact give me a loaner (they did).

All-in-all, I’m a happy camper. My dealer even mounted and installed my new Alltrack skidplate as a courtesy while they had it apart and on the lift.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Buyback
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 08:48   #440
TDIBoulder

Default TDI Gen3 Phase 2 AEM

Bought a brand new 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagon with Phase 1 completed before they could let it off the lot. I keep getting recall notices for Phase 2. It past Colorado emissions test after only Phase 1 fix. A few questions:

1) If it past emissions, do I have to get Phase 2 done?

2) Does Phase 2 affect performance or mileage?
TDIBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 09:54   #441
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

No you don't have to get it done unless your state requires it. They had to be one of the few states that didn't accept the diesel gate bribery money though. Whether it affects performance or mileage depends on who you ask it seems. It is all over the place. Some say yes, some say no and some say no difference. It probably will affect your extended warranty though. As you get none if you don't get the fixes done, IIRC. Your choice.
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:46   #442
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

And some say it actually makes a slight (very slight) positive difference. My 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium mileage seems to have increased by 2-4%, no sound difference, no shift difference. One could say as the miles increase (I got mine with 11,000 miles post Phase 1, now has 37,000 miles post Phase 2A), the drivetrain is still breaking in, so mileage should improve. At the very worst, it made no difference. One the plus side, your Emissions Extended Warranty coverage (which on paper looks fairly good) is extended again after you get Phase 2, so that is also an incentive to get it.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 04:36   #443
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

It is always the greater of the two. So if the original extended warranty is longer that has precedence over the after warranty and vice versa.
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:21   #444
timfarn

I had my 2015 Jetta TDI 6MT (phase 1 & 2 complete) at the dealer yesterday to replace the Adblue supply tube. Since the car only has 20,000 miles, I asked how they would know to notify me when replacement of oxidation catalyst was due, per:

If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

The service writer referred me to Steve, "their VW Guru". I posed the same question to him and he looked at me like I had two heads. He said they would replace only if needed. I referred him to the document language and he said he had never heard of such a thing. He was getting confrontational enough that the Service Manager stopped and came over, and he was also dumbfounded. "We have done hundreds of these fixes and I have never heard of this. And what difference does it make if it is an automatic or manual transmission?" I said you should be the ones to know. He said they would investigate and let me know. "Oh, and give us 10s on the survey...."
timfarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 13:45   #445
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Tell them you will wait to do their review when they get back to you with a satisfactory answer.
Old November 18th, 2019, 09:19   #446
timfarn

Your survey reminded me that you owed me information... Good call!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
timfarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 07:21   #447
ottomatic
Veteran Member

I have 59,400 mi on GSW .Should I do Phase 2 now or wait until 70K??
Old November 19th, 2019, 15:29   #448
Chiroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfarn View Post
I asked how they would know to notify me when replacement of oxidation catalyst was due, per:

If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement
It is quite surprising how many dealerships know nothing about how this actually works. I had one dealership tell me that if you get the 2A mod, that's it you get nothing else regardless of mileage. Here is the best answer I received from one particular service manager after asking the same question you did: "We don't really know how that is going to work as we have not gotten to that point yet. However, whenever you bring your car in for any service, mileage is noted, so VW will know roughly what the mileage is on these cars, and could send out notices based on that. However, for those that don't get their service at a dealership, this won't work".
Chiroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 20:12   #449
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
I have 59,400 mi on GSW .Should I do Phase 2 now or wait until 70K??
Whatever you want to do. I would wait for as long as possible or when I had an issue.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 08:01   #450
LeahPharmD

I bought a 2015 TDI Golf with Phase 1 done in 6/2018--- I have approx 25,000 miles on it.. I haven't heard anything from VW about Phase 2 fix--- should I call the dealer? or the VW settlement line?
LeahPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote