www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 19th, 2019, 12:54   #1
CodyPD06

Default Exhaust options?

Im curious, has anyone put a pipe through their cat to pass inspections but keep it straight piped? I was thinking about this and making it so I can put my muffler back on when it's time for inspections. Or is this just a waste of time?
CodyPD06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 13:39   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

On the BRM, it is a waste of time. The catalyst IS the downpipe, and it has a band clamp type attachment to the turbo. There is not much of any restriction in it to begin with, so it isn't really like it adds any power to remove it.

You can run a straight pipe out the back if you want a little more sound, but not sure in your area if inspections mean a "muffler" has to be in place or not. The turbocharger chops up most of the sound anyway, so even with no mufflers, it isn't like it is going to fail any decibel thresholds in place.
Old November 19th, 2019, 13:41   #3
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyPD06 View Post
Im curious, has anyone put a pipe through their cat to pass inspections but keep it straight piped? I was thinking about this and making it so I can put my muffler back on when it's time for inspections. Or is this just a waste of time?
The local tuner here cuts the pipe where it comes out and then knocks the guts out and welds it back together. It may need tuning to work correctly, though I'm not really sure. I'm getting ready to put an aftermarket downpipe on mine, but I have no emissions tests here.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk
Old November 19th, 2019, 13:44   #4
CodyPD06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozambiquer View Post
The local tuner here cuts the pipe where it comes out and then knocks the guts out and welds it back together. It may need tuning to work correctly, though I'm not really sure. I'm getting ready to put an aftermarket downpipe on mine, but I have no emissions tests here.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk
I don't have to do emissions, but I have to do visual inspection. So I was wondering if I could make it look like I have all my emissions stuff just for inspections then just go back to nit having a muffler. Oh well
CodyPD06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 13:53   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I do not know what Utah's rules are, but emissions components do NOT include a muffler. So if you require a muffler, it is due to noise or safety or something else generally. A muffler doesn't change the exhaust content from an emissions standpoint.

On the BRM, with software alone, you can get a 50% increase in [maximum] engine output. Catalyst intact and all.