www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old November 16th, 2019, 10:49   #76
Louie710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Oops I may have reversed the cetane numbers. if so,

What do you mean by "leak"? I've carried Propel's Neste-sourced DieselHPR in a fuel container and never saw a leak.
Leak as in it leaks in your car when you use it. It seems like there is a good handful of people who have had this experience. Ive seen it happen first hand on alh engines. Im sure its safe for newer vehicles tho. And im sure it has more to do with the vehicle itself than the fuel, but after seeing what i saw id rather be safe and just avoid the stuff. Im definitely down to give it a try now if they have a new supplier tho. I recently learned that these companies dont make their own RD they just buy it and resell it
Louie710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 10:56   #77
Louie710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Thanks, Louie.

So a lower cetane numbered RD may have a higher animal biomass to vegetable biomass ratio, if I understand the citation.
A few paragraphs later it says animal fats reduce the viscosity to closer to that of petroleum diesel so yes it seems your statement may be accurate
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:11   #78
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie710 View Post
Leak as in it leaks in your car when you use it. It seems like there is a good handful of people who have had this experience. Ive seen it happen first hand on alh engines. Im sure its safe for newer vehicles tho. And im sure it has more to do with the vehicle itself than the fuel, but after seeing what i saw id rather be safe and just avoid the stuff. Im definitely down to give it a try now if they have a new supplier tho. I recently learned that these companies dont make their own RD they just buy it and resell it

I had a similar problem with my Rabbit Diesel pickup back in the 90s with D2 and fuel line but what you seem to be referring to is a known problem with switching between BD & D2, especially on older engines. It has something to do with the composition of the seals VW used, IIRC.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:22   #79
Louie710
Veteran Member

Im aware of the biodiesel thing with swelling/shrinking seals. I never found any type of article or publication that says renewable may have the same ill effects tho?
Old November 16th, 2019, 13:40   #80
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

Ive been switching back and forth HPR and D2 on my 2 ALHs and no ill reported and Ive been doing it for approx. 3 years already so it may not be the case here, we may be dealing with ALH cars with a history in the past using Bio then D2 and now HPR, in my case Ive never used the BIO for my ALHs.
Old November 16th, 2019, 19:42   #81
Louie710
Veteran Member

Well the 76 RD ended up leaking from my injection pump. I think it got into my oil as well. Filled back up with regular diesel and the leak is gone. Has my car ever been filled with biodiesel? I have no clue. Its a 02 wagon i bought with a salvaged title 210k miles automatic transmission and no type of info on past maintenance. Its at 233k now
Old November 16th, 2019, 20:30   #82
romad
Veteran Member

I had seepage from my tandem pump but that was before I ever used Propel.

The fleet:
Old November 16th, 2019, 20:38   #83
KLXD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie710 View Post
Well the 76 RD ended up leaking from my injection pump. I think it got into my oil as well. Filled back up with regular diesel and the leak is gone. Has my car ever been filled with biodiesel? I have no clue. Its a 02 wagon i bought with a salvaged title 210k miles automatic transmission and no type of info on past maintenance. Its at 233k now
How would it get into the oil? Is the stuff not burning?

Have you ever replaced the seals? If not I'm surprised it doesn't leak with D2. My '2 leaked with D2. Never used anything else.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5

Last edited by KLXD; November 16th, 2019 at 20:43.
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 21:35   #84
Louie710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
How would it get into the oil? Is the stuff not burning?

Have you ever replaced the seals? If not I'm surprised it doesn't leak with D2. My '2 leaked with D2. Never used anything else.
Leak at the injectors. My oil level went up and its definitely not coolant thats getting in there or id have a whole bunch of chocolate milk to put in the fridge lol and ive never heard of oil levels just magically rising without adding more oil

Leaking from regular d2? Are you the original owner? If not maybe it was ran on bio in the past?
Old November 18th, 2019, 12:50   #85
Geomorph
Veteran Member

Just the change from Low Sulfur to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel caused fuel leaks in a bunch of ALH engined injection pumps around 2006 to 2007. This happened to mine and I ended up with a new injection pump paid for by warranty. There was no option to continue to use the higher Sulfur fuel. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it but HPR and renewable diesel have even less sulfur than ULSD.

Anyway, the leaks when switching to HPR or renewable diesel might be considered a warning that your pump seals are aged. The pump will probably eventually start leaking no matter what fuel you run.

Last edited by Geomorph; November 18th, 2019 at 12:52.
Geomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 13:32   #86
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomorph View Post
I don’t know if this has anything to do with it but HPR and renewable diesel have even less sulfur than ULSD.

ULSD limit is 15ppm. Neste says their renewable fuel is less than 5ppm, while REG says theirs is 2ppm. The original reduction was about 97%, IIRC; Neste is at least 99% of the original level while REG is about 99.6%. However if you just use the 15ppm of ULSD D2, then Neste reduces that at least 66% while REG reduces it 86.7%.

The fleet:
Old November 19th, 2019, 10:12   #87
Louie710
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomorph View Post
Anyway, the leaks when switching to HPR or renewable diesel might be considered a warning that your pump seals are aged. The pump will probably eventually start leaking no matter what fuel you run.
Yeah i knew the risk before i did it. Fortunately the leaking stopped with regular #2. I will be keeping an eye on it in the future tho now that the system has been compromised
Old November 19th, 2019, 19:10   #88
scrambld
Veteran Member

This thread got weird fast.....OP got lost after the 1st page?
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 20:01   #89
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Consider the OP posted this 4 years ago, only made 3 or 4 posts over two days, hung around for about 8 months not posting and then disappeared. Now that is weird or the sign of a troll.
Old November 19th, 2019, 21:13   #90
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambld View Post
This thread got weird fast.....OP got lost after the 1st page?
The OP was a troll.

The fleet: