jumped honda "ship" for a 2015 jetta tdi SEL

glong

TDI
jetta tdi SEL
hello forum I'm new to VW and diesel. i come from a tuner background and pretty aggressive driving style. i got the car for a really good deal .. well i think... (25.7k out the door with tax) but the issue is that when I'm driving and i push the brake at the same time as I'm gasing the gas doesnt feel like its going it feels like the fuel is cut off when you push the brakes. could someone explain this to me? also would a tune fix this? i am unable to heel toe while braking and left foot braking is complete out of the question because of this function. could you change it with VAG-COM? thanks.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
I'm wondering what is this really aggressive driving background all about?

My first thought is that fuel is cut off to the motor during braking because it's a vw diesel. It saves fuel and provides engine braking.

Now, while daily driving I don't brake while accelerating. I was taught that the left foot isn't to be used unleaded their is a clutch. Why? Mainly to communicate what I'm doing to other drivers. Also, riding the brake can cause over heating issues as some vehicles can be sensitive to slight pressure.

My mom's friend kept warping her brakes and she couldn't figure out what was going on until she realized it only happened after letting them borrow the vehicle. That was an expensive lesson. After fixing the problem twice, on its way to a third she asked if they drive with both feet. Yes.

Another problem is that if the brake is being engaged in any manner then the bulbs will be on, referencing that poor communication to other drivers as well as the potential for lights to burn out quicker.

I'd venture to say it's mostly a feature to reduce wear and tear while also saving fuel and maintaining driving characteristics of a diesel. So then it could be related to that?... Especially because it's not a race car

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
SEL = DSG

DSG is not your standard slushbox and there's no torque converter to cushion the engine to transmission connection. You're attempting to do exactly the opposite of what your vehicle was designed to do. Assuming that you don't wish to modify your driving style, then assume that your relationship with this car may not be favorable at least in the near term.

My suggestion(s)?

You cannot change the fact that the DSG is what it is. Of course you have the "Sport" option which may better accommodate your style but the computer CCU/ECU will still always be the interface between you and the vehicle. You accepted this when you purchased the vehicle.

The car can be tuned of course. This basically means that the transmission and engine can be remapped to a degree. Go for it if you wish but wait at least until you and the car have come to know each other a bit better. There are things the DSG does surprisingly well and also some unexpected "Easter Eggs" in the basket. Some you might like and others you might not.

You need to remember that a computer is now in charge of your car. At best you're a bystander in the process and your inputs are merely suggestions to a computer controlled system. Your old driving style isn't compatible with this technology.

Unfortunately I have to share that a manual transmission may well have been a better choice for you given your description of driving style. On the positive side I have a feeling that once you learn about the DSG and what to expect from it, you'll modify your old habits to take advantage of the system. In the end you and your DSG may well begin to get along quite well.

glong

TDI
jetta tdi SEL
my SEL is not DSG it is a 6 speed manual. i haven't had an auto for years. i did do my research on the DSG... i think it mean direct shift gearbox no? but yeah... i was looking at the malone tune to see if they had anything about that.. thanks for not ripping me a new A-hole... I'm so use to the honda-tech people.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since the sudden acceleration issues Audi had with its cars in the 80s, VWs cut fuel when your foot is on the brake pedal. People find it annoying on the track as it prevents you from trail braking into a turn. I don't think there's any easy way to defeat it. I tried removing the fuses for the ABS pump in my Golf but learned, to my great surprise, when you lose ABS you also lose the proportioning valve. That's pretty exciting.

BigCE

TDI
2015 Jetta
When it comes to driver assist (traction control, TQ man.,ABS) there is nobody that hates that stuff more than I do, but I honestly don't understand what your getting at here. Are you saying under normal day to day driving your holding the break and gas at the same time? I honestly cant think of any reason to do that??? Are you trying to build boost or something? It is a new car, shouldn't you be taking it easy for a while.

I just got a 2015 this week also and I agree it has major torque management. Between shifts there is a delay when power comes back on, also first gear seems to be far worse in terms of TQ management (or perhaps just more noticeable). Also the hill assist is driving me crazy, that one is the worst by FAR. Hill Assist is making me a much worse driver I find myself constantly rolling threw stops signs to avoid a full stop just so the damn hill assist doesn't come on.

mmn

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6MT Sportline
I believe he's referring to a heel-toe technique when downshifting gears to rev match and get a smoother shift into corners or when braking - common technique.

glong - echoing the other guys above, fuel gets cut when braking, so it's tough to use this technique in the new VWs. Also tough as the accelerator pedal is fixed to the car at the base of the pedal near the floorboard as opposed to a connector arm coming down from the firewall area like older models (my old Acura was like this).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Heel and toe works fine. I think you can blip the accelerator as long as the clutch is depressed, even if your foot is on the brake. But you can't request power when your foot is on the brake and the clutch is engaged, as you would when trail braking.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Hill hold really isn't bad. what I do to manage it is, start to let the clutch out, step on accelerator(damn diesels, can't call it a gas pedal) to get the hill hold to release and then continue to let the clutch out.

This has made it a useful tool because I can get midway to the friction point and then put a little diesel down the injectors and when I fully let the clutch out I haven't rolled back at all. When it comes down to it, if you want hill hold off, step on the accelerator, that's how it works.

ALSO! If you read the wonderful break-in guide for turbodiesels that is n this site yu will see that you are supposed to put the engine through its paces. The manual with the cars is dead wrong, least if you don't want new rings in the future. While you shouldn't beat on the car or be racing it, you should be stretching out and breaking in everything. And remember the car is only gonna drive better and better, every manual is different as well. Always takes getting used to as we all know.

PS even while jut doing break in runs, I've been smoking everyone at stop lights. The TDI has a beast within, and that ride to 1750...pure torque is a feeling that just makes you smile.

Last edited:

BigCE

TDI
2015 Jetta
I believe he's referring to a heel-toe technique.
Wow I now feel like a rookie. I have know what this is for a long time but I honestly didn't think people did it driving from day to day. I assumed it only had merit on a track or something. However I suppose if your good at it you could shift threw the gears while decelerating.

I normally downshift and rev match but let off the brake, I usually start slowing down well before when possible so I have never felt the need. Might have to practice now though.

glong

TDI
jetta tdi SEL
yes this is exactly what it feels like... the car feels like it just cuts the fuel. i really enjoy the TDi the torque is crazy and the milage... my god. so is there a way to tune it with maybe a malone tune would the car won't cut the fuel when i brake? i don't know... this really bothers me because i cant revmatch the car when I'm turning and downshifting. I'm not reving the crap out of it.. i stay out of boost most of the time (2krpm). i still won't tune it till after my 36k.

also with the break-in I'm going on a road trip with the car. i don't really drive it too hard because of all the low end torque

its just something i hope i don't have to live with... it will play a pretty big part on what my second car will be depending on how fun this can be.

glong

TDI
jetta tdi SEL
thanks again guys for all the help... wait all i could find out about breaking in the car is drive it hard? if its like what what is red line on this thing?

Last edited:

glong

TDI
jetta tdi SEL
im in california so it was really hard to find but i got a good deal on it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That must be a new "feature." Between that and what I read about the changes in mapping in lower gears, it makes me think these cars will benefit from a remap to get all the nanny features out, even if it doesn't provide much of a power boost.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Check out this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501. Everyone has their own opinions, but the general idea of what the guy is suggesting makes sense. Either way you will break in the parts in the car, but seating the rings properly is important to prevent early oil consumption. It just so happens that to seat the rings ya gotta give the pedal some oomph.

Right now I'm at 1300, so I'm doing the occasional full throttle launch and holy bejesus you need to hang on. Love modern standards now, never thought id say it before this car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Keep in mind that the procedure listed in that thread is many years old, and was originally intended for TDIs that are two or three generations older than what we have now.

I've bought three new TDIs over the years and broken in 5 engines total. Haven't followed any particular procedure other than to take it easy for the first 500 miles, a little less easy for the next 500, and avoid using cruise for the first few thousand. All my engines have seated rings just fine.

If following a break in procedure makes you feel better, have at it. But the engine probably doesn't need it.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that's why I was saying use for reference. It all still makes sense and you're really just speeding up what will happen in the future. Which can be good seeing as how even extended warranties end at 6 years for bumper to bumper.

I do think, think being the operative word, that my fuel economy has been getting better the more I break in the motor and turbo. I drive around at 2k rpms most of the time. Trying not to lug the motor around yet. Its 6sp so do what you want but it has suggested 6th at 40mph before.