Diesel price...

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Just filled up. Spent a few min pouring 251ml of power service into a container then filling the car. Dumbest thing I did? not wear gloves...

$1.389 at Pioneer in London

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
Paid 147.9 in kingston
98 L to fill the brand new touareg
145$ total is Crazy!!!

At least I did get 1162km to the first tank and I was using the breakin procedures. So not exactly cruising for economy.

Can't wait for a summer road trip to see what the touareg can really do.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Paid 147.9 in kingston
145$ total is Crazy!!!

At least I did get 1162km to the first tank and I was using the breakin procedures. So not exactly cruising for economy.

It's a badass SUV, enjoy it. Worth every penny IMO

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Paid 147.9 in kingston
145$ total is Crazy!!!

Thats better than 9L/100km. Pretty impressive for a suv without trying.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
1.429 few days ago from Petro Canada... dam cold and city driving are killing my FE (~ 6.1-6.4 per hundred) :(

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
I can get 1400km to a tank in my car without even trying. That is 100% better than a similarly equiped gas Jetta that would be lucky to get 700km on a tank.
am I missing something here?, If I get 800 k a tank tops now even flushing in the reserve zone I'm happy..

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My car is not stock.

ECU flash, bigger injectors, bigger intercooler, bigger exhaust, bigger injection pump and a 6 speed transmission. With all these modifications, I was able to get 1609km on a 62 litre fill up.....ONCE. It was a very slow (speed limit) drive to Michigan and back. Not likely to do that any time soon.

Driving normally on my commute, 85% highway, 15% city, I usually get 1400km in the summer and 1250km in the winter. If I drive hard, take 100km off each of those numbers (1300 & 1150 respectively).

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
That's awesome Wingnut. What do you think was the biggest contributing factor to gaining a better km/L?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Indeed, I sure would like to see those numbers... I'm wondering what would be the best for the buck... I know the 6 speed helps a lot cruising at 120, but it's not cheap either... Best I got was 1300km in the summer before I did any sort of mods

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Indeed, I sure would like to see those numbers... I'm wondering what would be the best for the buck... I know the 6 speed helps a lot cruising at 120, but it's not cheap either... Best I got was 1300km in the summer before I did any sort of mods
I think the concensus is that the six-speed IS awesome and will help highway MPG, but not enough to pay for itself for 99.9% of people. The biggest thing you can do is to drop down to 110 km/h from 120. Drag increases at the square of velocity. I won't always do this, but you have to know that the extra speed costs.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Diesel vs. Gasoline

I always track my mileage, and thought at the start of 2014 I would start tracking cost per litre of Diesel versus Gas every time I filled up.

Here's my end of year findings...

With the recent drastic drop in gasoline prices, and of course diesel being always more costly versus gas in the winter, it will be interesting to see how this sways the 2015 numbers.

For 2014, the cost for diesel was only a few cents more per litre, but that difference is more than offset by the much better fuel economy (as we all know :D).

If your wondering what caused the spike near the 38th fill up data point... well that was a lengthy trip into Quebec and I had no choice but to get some fuel to make it at least back into Ontario.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I always track my mileage, and thought at the start of 2014 I would start tracking cost per litre of Diesel versus Gas every time I filled up.

Here's my end of year findings...

With the recent drastic drop in gasoline prices, and of course diesel being always more costly versus gas in the winter, it will be interesting to see how this sways the 2015 numbers.

For 2014, the cost for diesel was only a few cents more per litre, but that difference is more than offset by the much better fuel economy (as we all know :D).

If your wondering what caused the spike near the 38th fill up data point... well that was a lengthy trip into Quebec and I had no choice but to get some fuel to make it at least back into Ontario.
I was thinking the same thing for 2015...saw on the news something along the lines of gas being 98 cents per liter on average for the whole year. If that's the case, I'm curious to see if in the summer diesel will drop to say 85 cents a liter if gas will hover around 95

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
... saw on the news something along the lines of gas being 98 cents per liter on average for the whole year.... I'm curious to see if in the summer diesel will drop to say 85 cents a liter if gas will hover around 95
Before the sudden drop of gas prices at the end of 2014 the average difference between diesel and gas was 3.5 cents, max difference was 16 cents and the min difference was -9 cents (when diesel was cheaper :)). All these numbers are according to my fill-ups.

But 2015 is not looking as good... the numbers from when gas prices started to drop in 2014 (late Nov.) and including my first fill in 2015 are as follows; the average difference between diesel and gas was 23.25 cents, max difference was 27 cents and the min difference was 16 cents (all favour gasoline :().

Bring on Summer!

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
If any of our American friends are reading this thread, or any others who are interested in the cost difference but would like an "apples to apples" comparison and the whole "litres to US gallon" conversion is not working for them... here's the numbers for the same period as above in percentage.

Before the sudden drop of gas prices at the end of 2014 the average difference between diesel and gas was 2.99%, max difference was 13.13% and the min difference was -6.14% (when diesel was cheaper :)). All these numbers are according to my fill-ups.

But 2015 is not looking as good... the numbers from when gas prices started to drop in 2014 (late Nov.) and including my first fill in 2015 are as follows; the average difference between diesel and gas was 25.63%, max difference was 31.43% :eek: and the min difference was 16.02% (all favour gasoline :().

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Before the sudden drop of gas prices at the end of 2014 the average difference between diesel and gas was 3.5 cents, max difference was 16 cents and the min difference was -9 cents (when diesel was cheaper :)). All these numbers are according to my fill-ups.

But 2015 is not looking as good... the numbers from when gas prices started to drop in 2014 (late Nov.) and including my first fill in 2015 are as follows; the average difference between diesel and gas was 23.25 cents, max difference was 27 cents and the min difference was 16 cents (all favour gasoline :().

Bring on Summer!
I may have exaggerated a bit on the 10 cents, but, I do fill up in the Peterborough area when at school because it usually is cheaper than Toronto by a few cents. Regardless, let's hope we see diesel cheaper then gas in the summer... I really want to fill up for less then 60 bucks a tank :)

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
What's puzzling me is that cheap station on Hwy 6 is at $1.00 / liter, while prices elsewhere are upwards of $1.10 and even $1.15!

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
What's puzzling me is that cheap station on Hwy 6 is at $1.00 / liter, while prices elsewhere are upwards of $1.10 and even $1.15!
Yeah, I know how you feel. I tend to avoid stations whose prices are out of whack with others nearby. I tend to use the same 2 or 3 stations all the time, not sure if it's habit or fear, but it's worked so far.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
It's on Hwy 6 towards the intersection of 6 and 5. That station and Global are usually compete for the lowest price on Hwy 6.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Unless you drive right by those stations on 6, it's not worth the effor to go out of your way to save a couple bucks on a tank.