2010 Ford Transit Connect

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
:cool: While getting the DSG reflash at the dealership, I saw a real neat Ford van at Koch Mercury.:cool:

It had a 2.2L gas engine. This is a Euro Style van that is made by Ford in Turkey. I went inside and told the salesman that ' If this was a Diesel and had a 18 inch longer wheelbase, you would sell these as fast as they come in! His response was:

- We would have to meet California Emissions with a diesel.
- The diesel fuel is crappy in North America.
- You can get a long wheelbase version in Europe, WITH a diesel engine,BUT, Ford does not want to go 'Head to Head with the F-150 van.

NO WONDER DETROIT IS IN TROUBLE!:eek:

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Soooo Typical

Sweeps said:
Yep, Basically a Ford Focus Duratec 4 cyl, and automatic transmission only for NA.
Yep! Sounds typical! A neat vehicle, but I ain't buying one. Have a 6 speed Automatic and the biggest diesel Ford puts in them along with the long wheelbase model, and you got something! 3 different diesels are available in Europe in these Trucks.

A Electrician or Plumber needs to carry 10 foot lengths of pipe. Plywood, drywall , etc. is 4 X 8 feet.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Gasser or not, I'm starting to see quite a few of these on the road. Agreed on the 4x8 sheets of plywood and lengths of pipe situation ... it's not big enough. Friend of mine looked into getting one to haul a track bike (motorcycle) ... the cargo area is 6 inches too short. But for delivering flowers, or nuts and bolts, or testing/inspection equipment, or camera gear, or anything of that sort, they make a lot of sense.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Here, they're used by mobile techs, the Post Office, and such. Real tradesmen use Transit-sized vehicles, which happily accept 8x4s.
/ the exception is carpet fitters, they almost without exception use Toyota Hiace, it's shape has always made it easier to get a full width roll of carpet into.

And I don't think I've ever seen a LWB Connect.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Move this to General Automotive, this Ford does not have a diesel and does not belong in this topic.

flatopete

TDI
Sadly, only a 7.3 liter Powerstroke
***? When I first heard about this transit "connect" I thought it would be the actual transit I frequently see in the UK. As said above, room for 4' x 8' sheet of drywall/plywood. The folks on Top Gear seem to praise the Transit (and the Ford Mondeo, do any of the current US sedans share the Mondeo's platform?)

This is disappointing, I guess Ford is still holding on the Econoline/E-series vans...

For those who can't catch Top Gear (BBC America runs it although the episodes seem to be shortened from the UK versions), Sabine Schmitz nearly beat 10 minutes on a lap around Germany's Nürburgring in a 5 or 6 speed diesel Ford Transit. Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pklvKKnd0

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
flatopete said:
For those who can't catch Top Gear (BBC America runs it although the episodes seem to be shortened from the UK versions), Sabine Schmitz nearly beat 10 minutes on a lap around Germany's Nürburgring in a 5 or 6 speed diesel Ford Transit. Good stuff!
...and that was a 130 hp diesel Transit - you can get the ones with a longer wheelbase with up to 200 hp.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Transit Connects are selling like hot cakes here. I'm starting to see them everywhere, even without a diesel or manual transmission option.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Pretty good looking little vans from the side and the back. The front is unimpressive, but at least it isn't ugly. I keep seeing them zipping around the beltway. :cool:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
I saw somewhere that Ford is going to offer one here in 2010 with an all electric drivetrain. I could be up for that.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That would be neat for toodling around DC as a courier or something.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Even the little corner grocery store 1/2 mile from me has one for deliveries. They got rid of the POS Dodge minivan they used to use.

:)

TDream

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
When I first saw one at the local FORD dealer, it reminded me of similar micro vans I've seen in europe. The ones I remember are french. They include the Renault Kangoo and others made by Peugeot.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
they're all over the place up here. Can't go out without seeing 1 or 2 on the road. They're perfect for light-duty hauling