What did you do to your car today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove to NYC and NJ for meetings yesterday. Was reminded how well the combination of 15" wheels and FSDs work on NY's excellent roads. And how much I like the GTI Recaros on long drives. Trip just hit 700 as I pulled into the driveway at home: no low fuel light yet.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am also loving the combination of FSDs and 15" wheels on my road trip.. soaked up the bumps on I-65 thru Alabama & Tennessee like a champ.

now to figure out where my boost is leaking out of. fun fun

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
I put in a pair of Raxles! Finally my car feels solid after a fiasco with some used VR6 axles and then having to limp around with some Made in China crap! Then I replaced a couple parking bulbs. The plastic on the side marker had gotten so brittle that it snapped right off when I pulled the bulb out of the housing... got to love Duck Tape!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Washed the winter off my poor Golf. Returned from a 730 mile road trip @ 48.4 mpg. Not too bad traveling on studded snows.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Better than a moose or elk or bighorn sheep, I suppose. And they can be very tasty.
Better than a bison too but one small deer can do a lot of damage. They are thicker than tics on a hound dog around here even after hunting season.

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Better than a bison too but one small deer can do a lot of damage. They are thicker than tics on a hound dog around here even after hunting season.
Yup. The rut is still going pretty strong here and the deer are still stupidly running around everywhere.:mad: Least Pick n Pull has all the parts I need.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Put 1800 miles on the wagon between Thursday and Monday. car didnt miss a beat, altho the downpipe connection is leaking. forgot about the missing/broken stud on there..

Ill be fixing that today. as well as replacing all of the vacuum lines and deleting hte ones not needed due to the racepipe and asv delete.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This past weekend swapped over to winter 15" steelies and blizacs. The Biolines I removed were on there for about 8K untouched and were rusted/corroded on enough that I had to lower the jack a lil'bit with lug bolts removed to pop them off.

I'm glad I picked up some antiseize a while back. I applied a nice layer to the hub faces and a smidged to each lug bolt, torqued everything down to 95ft/lbs and so far so good.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
A week ago, just before turkey day, I replaced the glow plugs on the 2-dr. It had a glow plug CEL even after replacing the harness. Also, rough running on startup had me thinking that injectors or even the pump might need help.

The plugs on cylinders 3 and 4 were hard to remove. I was really hoping the threads were OK and not cross threaded. It turned out they were packed halfway up from the bottom with carbon. I had the tool to chase the threads, q-tips and carb cleaner to carefully clean the bores, and test seated the plugs to ensure a good snug fit.

Now the CEL is gone, and the engine fires right up when cold with no roughness. The mileage might even improve.

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
I am in the same boat! I think I will run through my plugs this weekend and see what turns up...

A week ago, just before turkey day, I replaced the glow plugs on the 2-dr. It had a glow plug CEL even after replacing the harness. Also, rough running on startup had me thinking that injectors or even the pump might need help.

The plugs on cylinders 3 and 4 were hard to remove. I was really hoping the threads were OK and not cross threaded. It turned out they were packed halfway up from the bottom with carbon. I had the tool to chase the threads, q-tips and carb cleaner to carefully clean the bores, and test seated the plugs to ensure a good snug fit.

Now the CEL is gone, and the engine fires right up when cold with no roughness. The mileage might even improve.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I would sure like to see a picture of this.
I'm still running the Kynar tube with brass compression fittings.
Well, I didn't post a pic cause I'm not happy with the aesthetics lol. I planned on using the 90 in the head on the housing and vice versa. Problem is, the -an 90 is too "long" and the two 90's in the head would hit each other. So, I have a -3 braided line with a 10x1.5 banjo and straight -3 AN on the other side. I have some slick Aeroquip adapters for the cylinder head just waiting for the new braided line. Anyway, here's the leak free temp setup:

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I'm getting the braided hose made up from Nuc Motorsports in cali, my local place couldn't make it without fittings too large. Push lock is just like it sounds, the fittings are barbed but the back of the barb is straight cut so it really, really locks on there. The shop I bought them from runs them for everything on their own race cars and they never leak and last forever. They use them for hp oil lines (think 60-80 psi) without issue. You just have to use the super duper everything rated rubber hose that is a few bucks a foot!

After the temp setup, I started looking at fittings and getting all sorts of great ideas to clean up lines under the hood. I can get rid of the metal PD fuel lines and clean things up quite a bit in the front of the motor. I could re-route coolant lines, etc... I dunno, maybe if I stumble across an extra few hundred $$'s for fittings and line lol.

I'm a "-AN" fitting newbie, but I'm very impressed with the quality of these little guys!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Is Norman Wells anywhere near Fort Norman, where Leslie Neilsen spent much of his childhood as his father was stationed there with the RCMP?
I was wondering, because a week ago I had never heard of this name, and now (maybe) I've run across it twice. Coincidence?
TR:

I have not been to Ft Norman, but I understand it is in the same region (Sahtu Region) as Norman Wells. I think Ft. Norman is Near or in the town of Tulita, which is also in the Sahtu Region.

I am no way an authority on this very far northern part of the Northwest Territory. I have been there on oil and gas (pipeline) projects. Oil was found in the area in the 1940s and was to be a resource for the U.S. during the second world war when we we worried about the Japanese attacking our western oil operations. After the war, Esso ended up with it and today they have a small fuels refinery in Norman Wells. There are about 800 residents of the town. Enbridge's northern most pipeline ends there and moves a small amount of crude oil south to the refineries.

It's a hoot to visit these places. You don't know what remote is until you spend a few days up there.

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
I cried

When I saw that some AH ripped the rear reflector off the back bumper of my -04 Passat TDI sedan.
I have spent hours attempting to find a replacement for this small Hella reflector lens installed to make the car street legal after installing smoked tails.
If you can open the following link, you will see what they look like.
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

/Users/tom/Desktop/ACD_VW_Bora_Back_3_C.jpg