Hard Drive?

filfy

TDI
2003 Jetta and 2012 Passat
I see a tab on the stereo/nav screen for an HDD? I take it that you can add one, where would that be installed?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
The unit already has a HDD in it - stores the navi data. You can also copy MP3's to this hard drive and play them if you want. I don't remember the exact steps to do this but it is documented in the owners manual.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
The RNS510 has a hard drive as TheGroove mentioned. I'm not sure about the RCD310 or RCD510.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
There are other sites dedicated to the RNS-510 and outline how to upgrade the HDD. I'll warn you that it's extremely invasive and a few knuckleheads have bricked theirs.

craigpaul2000

TDI
2001, TDI jetta, silver...2006 TDI Jetta, White (SOLD)......2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, Blue
There are other sites dedicated to the RNS-510 and outline how to upgrade the HDD. I'll warn you that it's extremely invasive and a few knuckleheads have bricked theirs.
Put in a CD with mp3 folders on it or a SD card with MP3 folders/individual songs.

When you find the folder you want to copy to the hard drive (18gb) just click the symbol on the right of the named folder. A pop-up will appear and "copy" is an option. Then select "drop folder here" and it will rip your stuff to the HD. Then the HD selection will light up and you can play music that way. Best way imo. enjoy

tumper

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Where is it??

Where is the hard drive physically located? Behind the dash, under a seat?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Coincidentally, I have just started to load some of my music collection on the RNS-510 HD. While the procedure is indeed given in the manual, it's almost incomprehensible (like that manual generally) I recommend reading it five times, then keeping it in hand as you actually try to load files onto the HD.
The good news is, it does work. Sometimes, with music files, it will say you're trying to play an incompatible file type (when the file is actually a fully compatible mp3) but will then go ahead and play them anyway.