www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 18th, 2011, 20:37   #1
boatdr1

Default 01M 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI disengagement

After warm up the transmission in my 2003 Jetta Wagon will fall out of gear when coming to a complete stop. When rpm's are picked back up it engages again. Of course this is not smooth and you must feather the throttle as to not let is neutral drop and slam in hard. It has also fallen out of gear while underway at higher speeds if left to coast unaccelerated for a exeteded period.
Car has 213,000 miles. The trans oil and filter had just been changed aprox 5,000 miles ago by local repair shop.
I want to attempt to repair myself and looking for some advice, direction, and options. First is I think I like the automatic option and don't really want to shift this thing. So I am not intrested in converting to manual transmission. To repair I am going to need service literature on the 01M any one know of PDF download or willing to share book. 2nd option can newer triptronic be substituted for this unit? And if so what all would I have to replace? Thanks for any advice. Jim in New Buffalo South West Michigan
boatdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:44   #2
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

Admittedly, I don't have specific knowledge about repairing the automatics. On reading the symptom you describe, first thought that comes to mind is possible low trans fluid level. I'd recommend (soon) check the trans level. Good luck!
2004 Jetta GL wagon 2.0L (gas) 5-spd (sold)
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:11   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Check the TCM for DTCs. Check the fluid level.

I bet the fluid is low, I suspect the shop that messed with it did something wrong and/or used the wrong fluid.

In any case, you got good life out of that unit, many don't last nearly that long. So worst case, you need to replace it, you still did good.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:28   #4
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

I'll second what Oilhammer said about checking the fluid.

If its full you probably have pressue loss to k1 clutch. In 01m failure analysis1 in the 01m faq on my website it discusses pressure loss to the b1 brake. Very similar circumstance except its reverse instead of forward.

My 2nd tdi was doing what your car was doing when I bought it and it was pressure loss to the k1 clutch. There was alot of associated damage in that one though because the DAPO kept driving it that way for along time.

LOOK AT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL -->
https://www.youtube.com/user/CoolAirVw/
Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 23:21   #5
boatdr1

Thanks for all the ideas. I did get a service manual and it does cover trans fluid change. If I want to do much more to this thing than change the fluid I will have to find a book specific to the transmission.
When the trans started acting up on the Jetta girlfriend got inpatient and reliability scared. Result was she went out and bought another car. I think we found a good deal. It is a 2004Passat wagon with only 75,000 miles. We paid $12,000 If nothing major happens I think it was a good deal. I have been reading all the post about oilpump drive chain failure and wondering best place for parts?
How many miles should I push before tearing into this or should I wait until I hear something. Any idea how much warning it will give you?

Thanks Jim
Old January 21st, 2011, 23:25   #6
boatdr1

Forgot to mention we did keep the Jetta too and I still intend to fix transmission and drive myself.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 19:02   #7
CoolAirVw

Passant is about due for the TB and you should do the BM at the same time. Your looking at 2000-3000 for that work and parts and thats gonna cut into your "good deal". Still not a bad deal though.

Old February 18th, 2011, 20:01   #8
boatdr1

Still no go on transmission problem
I bought Ross vag-com and cleared a torque converter lockup code.
Pulled pan to check filter and condition of fluid. Fluid was clean and no metal or pieces in pan. I thought I would crank up valve body pressure but found someone else was there before me. I turned in about one turn and it bottomed out. There was no click and would easily turn both directions. I left it cranked all the way in. Refilled transmission by the book and at the proper temp I had to add 1/2 qt more fluid to get it to proper level. Test drove and transmission shift is much firmer 2nd to 3rd but still soft 1st to 2nd. Still drops out of 1st when warm.
I guess it is time for new or rebuild this one. I think I would like to rebuild this one. Given the fact there is no metal or broken parts I am hopeful it only needs frictions and seals and such.
Not sure ware to het the trans kit and service publications to do the job. The Bentley is useless for transmission repair. Covers removal and fluid change and that is all the deeper it gets. I need a real transmission service book for the 01M. One that covers any and all updates valve body details and full blowup diagrams of what makes this thing tick. Any one have suggestions for book and parts vender. I have not even checked yet with dealer I am sure they will price me rite out of the car. I had to get fluid from them and that was $50.00 for 2 qt of transmission oil.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:22   #9
joetdi
Veteran Member

I wish I could loan you the tool that checks for leakage in the brakes and clutches. Check with your dealer on the price.
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:11   #10
CoolAirVw

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdr1 View Post
I think I would like to rebuild this one.
Obviously I dont know your level of expertise, but 01m takes lots of special tools to get the job done. Its outside the capabilities of alot of professional transmisison rebuilders.

Old February 21st, 2011, 19:05   #11
boatdr1

Thanks for the response Joe.
Is the tool you reference a pressure or vacuum gauge or what?
What I really need is a good service publication for the O1M .
I am very good with mechanical things and not intimidated by the complexity of the automatic transmission. I am sure that the proper service publication will reference the pressure instrument you mention as well as how to connect it to transmission and expected readings. And with the rite circuit diagrams I could map possible locations for pressure loss. I am sure even the very best O1M transmission tech has a service book. I have been in other transmission valve bodies and every one of them have been full of springs, sliding valves, and several little balls all over the place. In my younger days I could take apart a Swiss watch with a thousand pieces , put it in a box, take it out a year later and assemble it from memory. Today I am going to need a drawing.

Thanks for all your help. Jim
Old February 21st, 2011, 19:14   #12
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdr1 View Post
Thanks for the response Joe.
Is the tool you reference a pressure or vacuum gauge or what?
What I really need is a good service publication for the O1M .
I am very good with mechanical things and not intimidated by the complexity of the automatic transmission. I am sure that the proper service publication will reference the pressure instrument you mention as well as how to connect it to transmission and expected readings. And with the rite circuit diagrams I could map possible locations for pressure loss. I am sure even the very best O1M transmission tech has a service book. I have been in other transmission valve bodies and every one of them have been full of springs, sliding valves, and several little balls all over the place. In my younger days I could take apart a Swiss watch with a thousand pieces , put it in a box, take it out a year later and assemble it from memory. Today I am going to need a drawing.

Thanks for all your help. Jim
The very best service tech on 01M's just posted above you...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 21:10   #13
CoolAirVw

ah... shucks....

Here's some manuals for you...

http://atsg.com/cart/index.php?p=cat...search_str=01m

These are just the diagnostic guides though, which includes basic info such as clutch and brake application charge, solenoid firing order ect. Not real helpful if your wanting k2 clutch clearance or endplay settings or torque specs. There is no aftermarket manual for 01m because most of the 096 information directly corresponds. If you call ATSG they will probably just tell you to get a 096 manual. Unless something has changed since the last time I checked.

Here's there 096 manual.

http://atsg.com/cart/index.php?p=cat...search_str=096

Last edited by CoolAirVw; February 21st, 2011 at 21:16.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:12   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

And the epic uber craptasticness of the 096 is why the 01M was never going to be a stellar design. The 01M proves you cannot polish a turd, I'm afraid . Ah, the days of the 096, I think we had no less than 6 dead B3 Passats camped out behind the shop with dead ones, and not a one of them had over 50k miles... sad. So many otherwise nice Volkswagens were hauled off for scrap just because the auto trans was dead, and if you were unlucky enough to also have a B3 cursed with the rando-fail 2.0L 16v engine you got a double whammy.... which went first, the trans or the timing belt?

I may have some tech manuals in the Archives on these, lemme look this week and see if I can find some, I can snailmail them to you if you like. Unfortunately, they tend to be parts-replacement heavy, and that gets expensive in a hurry.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:39   #15
whyfish
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38avg/34worst/44.8 (best)
Thumbs up

As a proud owner of an 01M trans. equipped wagon, I tend to follow most of the 01M threads that appear here on a regular basis. Mostly out of curiousity while hoping to learn how I can prolong the eventual catastrophy.

I want to say to Oilhammer and CoolAirVW that your responses were some of the most sane and thoughtfull responses I've ever read here in response to an 01M post. I commend you both for steping up and offerring such great assistance to Boatdr1. Boatdr1, you are in good hands with these 2 members helping you out.

You guys represent what's so awesome about the TDI Club.
whyfish is offline   Reply With Quote