www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 20th, 2019, 14:21   #331
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Sadly, with the exception of the trucks, all those diesels are discontinued at the end of the 2019 model year.
Old October 20th, 2019, 20:10   #332
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Just yesterday I was talking with my local guru about the return of VW diesels. He believes that VW won't do anything until the buyback cars are all sold. We're getting close to that. And then he thinks they may bring the EA288 back, as it will meet EPA standards without difficulty. We were also wondering why VW doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of gasoline engine development. Perhaps that indicates a desire to add diesels to the lineup instead of new gasoline engines.

Or we could be dreaming...
VW salesman indicated to me that not bringing diesels back to the US was part of the settlement.
Don't know how accurate his info is.

I prefer to look at it as wishful thinking.

Personally I think they will be back at some point.
wonneber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:31   #333
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Nope. We’re going electric. Don’t let them fool ya. Internal combustion engines are looking more and more like horse drawn buggies with each model year.

Once they make them sip electricity without having to plug in (yes, and self paying too), diesels will lose their once a month fill up advantage. Mercedes is already offering it! https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/nex...ity-revisited/
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 08:16   #334
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI2000Zim View Post
Too bad for VW, but the technology is not dead: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...hort-list.html

As far as I’m concerned, I will never give up the diesel dream.
They caught all the GM twins but missed the Ram 1500.
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:49   #335
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
They caught all the GM twins but missed the Ram 1500.
and the Jeep (same engine)
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 21:32   #336
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
Nope. We’re going electric. Don’t let them fool ya. Internal combustion engines are looking more and more like horse drawn buggies with each model year.

Once they make them sip electricity without having to plug in (yes, and self paying too), diesels will lose their once a month fill up advantage. Mercedes is already offering it! https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/nex...ity-revisited/
Once the price of gasoline fuel goes up and up and stays up and up for years (maybe decades) there might be an incentive to pay a premium price to buy an all electric vehicle such an SUV or a truck.

Take an medium size SUV, that lets say costs on the average $30,000. Electrify it completely and try to sell it for $45K to $50K with a range of 250 miles. With price of regular unleaded averaging $2.65 nationwide, how popular will it be?

Now wait until the price of RUG is like $3.50 to $4 (average nationwide) then that electrical SUV is looking a lot more sell-able!
tikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 05:31   #337
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I still look at EVs as being the next step from hyper efficient ICE vehicles... and we (Americans in a statistic sense, present company excluded of course) are not embracing hyper efficient ICE vehicles. We just aren't. The sales figures reflect this. The manufacturers' offerings reflect this.

When these pump sucking trucks and SUVs start to gather dust on dealer lots, and the few small efficient vehicles left to choose from are in high demand, THEN the EVs will fall into the next logical step for a lot of people. But until that happens, they will remain a slowly climbing but largely a niche vehicle in this country in great numbers.

And yes, I know that better efficiency is happening in most all (but not every) segment, but this is largely an optional choice often paired with exceedingly expensive option packages. The F150 starts at $26k. If you want the most efficient engine choice they have, the 3.0L V6 diesel, that starting price jumps a whopping $20k. Seriously. If you want the next efficient engine choice down the line, the 2.7L Ecoboost V6, the starting price still jumps about $6k. So yes, we can even make the big pigs like F-trucks more efficient, but most won't do that. If they are going to buy a truck, they'll get either the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 or the 5.0L V8 instead.

The new Silverado is another one, same thing. You want the more efficient engines, get ready to pay.
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:32   #338
kjclow
Veteran Member

Add to that, most of the car companies are killing off sedans for North America. It's going to be hard to convince people to give up their large trucks and SUVs for a small economy car when (if) fuel prices get high enough to have to weigh gas money versus food money.

I will admit to being one of those. I had a Sentra for a rental car this week and nothing made me happier than climbing into my Ram at the airport.
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:45   #339
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I still look at EVs as being the next step from hyper efficient ICE vehicles... and we (Americans in a statistic sense, present company excluded of course) are not embracing hyper efficient ICE vehicles. We just aren't. The sales figures reflect this. The manufacturers' offerings reflect this.
This makes a lot of sense. If consumers aren't willing to buy a 35 MPG ICE sedan or a 40 MPG ICE hatchback, what would compel them to make the trade-offs in cost and convenience to go electric? I grew up with small cars, and I prefer them. I honestly don't think of my MKIVs as truly small, although they are now among the smallest cars on the road.

I'm glad that not everyone is giving up on sedans. Hyundai, Honda, and Kia are still at it. VW won't sell many Arterons, but at least they brought it here.

I'm not sure what the fuel price point is where people will start to hurt. I don't think $4/gallon is it any longer. Maybe $5?
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:51   #340
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

I haven't owned a truck since I sold my 1983 Ford Ranger in 1990 - for about 99.99 % of the time, I haven't missed it. There have been the rare times when it would have been nice for hauling something. Now , since I have to haul a string bass around - a larger vehicle of some sort is looking pretty good. But it is probably not going to be a brand new one.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:56   #341
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I'm glad that not everyone is giving up on sedans. Hyundai, Honda, and Kia are still at it.
I was laughing last night at the Hyundai, or maybe it was Kia, showing their line of now five or six SUVs with the big to little dog comparisons in front. So even the Koreans are bring over what the public is demanding.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:08   #342
oilhammer

Actually, they are not "bringing anything over". They are built here, for here. The Kia Telluride (weird name, big ugly thing that looks like scrapped designs for a Volvo in the '90s) was designed by Tom Kearns (an American) and is built in their plant in Georgia. The Koreans have likely never seen one on their streets.

Pretty sure there are no Sequoias or Armadas cruising down the streets of Tokyo either.

So yeah, catering to the US market to the extreme.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:11   #343
kjclow
Veteran Member

Kind of like the North American Passat.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:26   #344
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Kind of like the North American Passat.
... and the Atlas... now unofficially called the "fAtlas" around here, LOL.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:41   #345
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!

When I do the numbers on my next new car I quickly figure out that even at 25 MPG fuel ain't a budget buster. The real budget busters derive from original price of the car, stuff like depreciation, license fees, and insurance. But looking at it from a different angle, 40 MPG vs. 25 MPG means I can drive a lot more for the same transportation budget $$$.