www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Events, Gatherings, Clubs

Events, Gatherings, Clubs Want to meet other TDI members face to face? Going to a VW Event? Why not try and organize meeting some new faces and putting faces to our usernames? This forum is for organizing meetings and events with other TDI Fans.

Old February 20th, 2004, 10:42   #1
billmn
Veteran Member

Default GTG in Minneapolis on April 24th

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with GarrettP from UpSolute! He is going to be in town on April 24th at Quality Coaches in South Minneapolis doing some chipping. I have some discounted pricing to offer up also. Garrett is offering chips at $325 each installed, if we get 8 or more committed (commitment involves sending Garrett a $100 deposit) then the price drops down to $300. I am posting this on VWvortex also so hopefully we should be able to get the better pricing. Quality Coaches is a smaller shop in South Minneapolis that does work on more hobby type cars, he has a few MG's currently, Mini's, Volvos, VW's ect. They do anything from regular maintenance to full restores, and even full custom builds (Mark, the owner, just got done building a 4x4 4dr MGb with a rumble seat). I am not sure if we will have access to lifts or anything like that but Mark is going to be there and he seems like a very nice guy so it wont hurt to ask. You can check out his site at Quality coaches.com. I am waiting on an email from Garrett with his paypal account info so we can sent him our deposit, I will post it as soon as I get it from him.

Upsolute is now offering a neat option, They have a remote that is now available that can "turn off" the chip and return the car to "stock". If you turn off the chip there is NO way to over ride this, so if you still have warrenty you can chip your car and just turn off the chip before you bring it in to the shop, and they will be none the wiser [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. In Minnesota I think it would be VERY nice to have the option to turn off the chip in the winter, I don't know about you but I have a hard enought time with a stock car keeping my tires planted in the snow [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. The remote is $175. Here is a link to the remote.

Feel free to email myself or Garrett with any questions
My emailbilbo6209@yahoo.com
Garretts email garrettp@upsolute.com

Bill
billmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:56   #2
billmn
Veteran Member

Garrett can also chip other vehicles besides VW's, if you want something else chipped just shoot Garret an email and and he can tell you if he can chip it. I do know that UpSolute does a VERY good job chipping Diesel trucks.
Bill
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:47   #3
billmn
Veteran Member

I just got word from Garrett, if you are committing to getting a chip, again that is prepaying $100 to show that you will be there, please email Garrett and let him know the particulars on your car and that you want to prepay for this event and he will give you all the needed info.

Bill
Old February 20th, 2004, 13:18   #4
Rickstah
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/45/41

Question about the remote...can you buy the remote after the chipping process is finished, as in 2 weeks later or so? Is Garrett the only person who offers this type of service? I understand there may be some chipping going on in another GTG the end of March somewhere else and I will be there. Thanks for any info. Couldn't tell on the link if this is possible.
Rickstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 13:37   #5
billmn
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure that Garrett is not the only person who can do the remote service, he is just the rep for MN and WI. As far as adding the remote after the fact, I would go to upsolute.com and ask in the forums if the remote can be added after the fact. If you are getting chipped in March you might want to contact who ever is setting up your chipping and see if they can do the remote.

Bill
Old February 23rd, 2004, 19:27   #6
billmn
Veteran Member

Hey guys,

The venue might change. I called and talked to Mark today to check if we could use the lift to do some more common GTG work, his answer is that we could use the lift to "look at the cars" but anything that needed parts he would have to sell us the parts as in incentive to letting us use the lift and shop. I have never set up or been to a GTG so I am not sure if this is common or not. If this is common practice then this is cool, but if it is not common practice then I will be looking for a different shop to host the GTG. So if you know any GTG friendly shops in the twin cities area or even Eastern WI please let me know.

Bill
Old February 23rd, 2004, 20:59   #7
eschady
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/49/44

[ QUOTE ]
So if you know any GTG friendly shops in the twin cities area or even Eastern WI please let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one this weekend... Garrett will already be there... Too bad you can't make it.
eschady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 21:44   #8
billmn
Veteran Member

Yep I gotta work this Saturday [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], I have talked to a couple friends and they say that the shop is doing a fairly common thing, so it looks like we will still be at Quality Coaches after all [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bill
Old February 23rd, 2004, 22:12   #9
garrettp
Former Chip-Monk

TDI(s): 2000 JEDI

yes the remote can be added at any time with the UPsolute chip. with regards to your question if i am the only one, no. UPsolute has over 24 distributors through out the US and Canada (and the world for that matter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). there is of course other chip tuners out there and i do not think they have a remote rather a socket for switching the chips in the ECU directly.

i hope that helps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
garrettp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 22:27   #10
Leseid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50

Add me to the list. I'll put this on my calendar and try to be there with one of the two Golfs.
Leseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:03   #11
billmn
Veteran Member

Leseid,

Did you prepay the $100? When you do plaese also email or pm me so I can keep a total too.

Thanks
Bill
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:07   #12
eschady
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/49/44

[ QUOTE ]
Yep I gotta work this Saturday

[/ QUOTE ]

*sneeze* Work??? *cough* *cough* *cough* I don't know, it doesn't sounds like you are feeling the best... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
eschady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:19   #13
billmn
Veteran Member

LOL, as the senior desktop guy, it would look VERY bad it I wasn't there for a MAJOR software upgrade we are doing [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think I can wait till April for my chip [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Bill
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:50   #14
Justin_J_Richert

Fuel Economy: 40 - 50 MPG

I will definatly be there. I already have my chip and love it. But I would love to get together with a bunch of diesel heads and maybe do some other stuff. Like say a timing belt, or Ventectomy, or a Boost Gauge.... ect ... See you all there!
Justin_J_Richert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:29   #15
progolfer_20
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50

I'll try to make it, I'll bring my passat and jetta. See you guys there.
progolfer_20 is offline   Reply With Quote