www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old June 27th, 2017, 22:26   #31
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. Lots of yard work to do, need to celebrate my mom's birthday and have other projects to tackle. Hope to make it whenever we have the next one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:23   #32
FraggyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadgrrrl View Post
OK, if you guys are brave enough to try it, I'm game. I'll start hitting those nuts with penetrating oil and check to make sure I've got all the parts.
Are you driving this car right now? If so I would be careful hitting it with oil as the turbo may get hot enough to at the very least cause the oil to smoke. We can get them loose with just pb blaster and a map torch on site. Shouldn't need initial oiling. Copper nuts come off pretty easy. The biggest challenge is one of the nuts is kind of buried.
FraggyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:09   #33
atunicus

I am just across the river. I'll swing by with my allroad tdi.
atunicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:26   #34
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!
Default I won't set it afire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggyTDI View Post
Are you driving this car right now? If so I would be careful hitting it with oil as the turbo may get hot enough to at the very least cause the oil to smoke. We can get them loose with just pb blaster and a map torch on site. Shouldn't need initial oiling. Copper nuts come off pretty easy. The biggest challenge is one of the nuts is kind of buried.
Not driving it everyday, I've got motorcycles and a 2015 TDI for that. Too busy today, but I'll jack it up tomorrow and after the turbo cools spray the fasteners with PB if they won't budge. I won't start it 'til saturday morning, though I may spray with PB again on friday morning if the fasteners are still frozen. Sound OK?
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:37   #35
FraggyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not driving it everyday, I've got motorcycles and a 2015 TDI for that. Too busy today, but I'll jack it up tomorrow and after the turbo cools spray the fasteners with PB if they won't budge. I won't start it 'til saturday morning, though I may spray with PB again on friday morning if the fasteners are still frozen. Sound OK?
Since they are copper nuts they really don't cease up. I would say you don't need to soak them. They basically break free with heat due to the expansion rate of the copper.
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:06   #36
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Other than the JSW, hard as I try, can't seem tio get below 40 MPH!

OK, I'll spare the PB.
Old June 29th, 2017, 08:46   #37
FraggyTDI
Veteran Member

Should we bring any sides or meat?
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:31   #38
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Default Exhaust system looks doable...

Quote:
Since they are copper nuts they really don't cease up. I would say you don't need to soak them. They basically break free with heat due to the expansion rate of the copper.
I took off the lower engine cover AKA bash plate and gave the nuts holding the downpipe on the turbo a twist- The most accessible one actually moved a bit and I didn't try too hard on the others, so this may be an easy job. Checked to make sure I have all the parts being the box was coming open when I received it, looks like I'm missing one rubber hanger from the hardware kit but the old one looks reusable.
Old June 29th, 2017, 12:40   #39
FraggyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
I took off the lower engine cover AKA bash plate and gave the nuts holding the downpipe on the turbo a twist- The most accessible one actually moved a bit and I didn't try too hard on the others, so this may be an easy job. Checked to make sure I have all the parts being the box was coming open when I received it, looks like I'm missing one rubber hanger from the hardware kit but the old one looks reusable.
Yeah with heat they will come right off then. Hard part is fitting fat hands into the tight space. I would just reuse them. They aren't a super critical part.
Old June 29th, 2017, 13:40   #40
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
Should we bring any sides or meat?
Sides. I have a 10 lb Boston Butt Brining now for barbequed pulled pork. Maybe a dozen brats and Coleslaw. My wife will probably by chips but I dunno.

If you have a meat that you would like the grill will be going.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 13:57   #41
FraggyTDI
Veteran Member

I'll just bring some summer sausage and cheese for apps. Pulled pork sounds bomb
Old June 30th, 2017, 13:35   #42
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

I'll bring my tool box that I can lift into the Golf, 4 jack stands, I'm gonna have a cordless drill and driver with anyway, and my longest breaker bar and maybe some impact sockets and easy out too. Oh, and a folding chair and diet Dew. Should I bring a floor jack or anything else?
Old June 30th, 2017, 14:28   #43
FraggyTDI
Veteran Member

What time do you want us there?
Old June 30th, 2017, 14:35   #44
gearheadgrrrl
Veteran Member

Whenever you want to start.
Old June 30th, 2017, 16:14   #45
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Well the event preparations will most likely be done around 10:00, That why I was saying around noon. Text me 3203671807 if y'all want an earlier start But if people want to start wrenching at 5:30 am you can do that.

I have a nice 2 ton aluminum floor jack 17 inch lift, 2 jack stands, ramps, 3/8 extensions for the 3 flange nut. I have a Dewalt impact driver 1200 ft-lb in reverse 20 volt tool. It will take off axel nuts with the car in the air. Not sure I have 2 13mm sockets though.

Oh the house smells good right now. The pork is at the 3 hour point of cooking. This time I dry brined it for about an hour with fresh ground black pepper and chili powder. Sugar/Salt Molasses Apple Cider vinegar brine.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote