Adblue Topup Interval - normal or not?

dministrator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Sunroof+Nav
Hello Friends,

The dealership topped up Adblue when I went for 50K service (per the service notes); I went in a little early at around 49,400 miles.

I have now slightly over 54K on the odometer; the "Topup Adblue within 1500 miles" warning is appearing on the MFD.

Most of my driving is in Seattle Metro area with a lot of stop and go and many steep inclines and declines.

I will go to a truck stop and top it up; but is it normal to have this warning appear within about 5000 miles under these driving conditions? How frequently did you have to top up yours? Is there a possibility that the service notes/invoice is not telling the truth?

Please share your expertise. Thank you.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Nope, I'd say the dealer "forgot" to fill the tank. Most people are reporting 15,000 miles or more on a tank. Mine now has 22000 miles, been serviced twice (10 & 20K) and I've never seen a urea warning.

SirDeath

TDI
2006.5 Jetta MK V Pumpe Düse // 2015 Golf Sportwagen common-rail
Unlikely but not impossible. Maybe they topped it up but not to full. Also (run into this in other makes) older BlueDef will sometimes show as inadequate quality/quantity. The stuff has a surprisingly short shelf life of only a year or so (the 44 months the manufacturers say is in IDEAL laboratory conditions and not reflective of the real world). If they used older DEF, the SCR system compensates by using more and draining the tank quicker. Give the dealership a call and maybe they will give you a "complimentary" freshen-up in case they didn't fill it all the way.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I'd check the service invoice to see just how much they added.

I've noticed an increase in consumption since the 23N5 update, but nothing near the amount that would trigger the warning in only 4,xxx miles.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my light is coming on every 5k and im dumping in 2.5 gallons every time.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Quite possible you're experiencing a sensor/system failure. Bear in mind that if the display drops to 0 (zero) you won't be able to start the car. Get it checked sooner rather than later.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The other thing that will bring the AdBlue light on is NOx sensor failure (replacement of the sensor makes it go away, has nothing to do with the amount of DEF in the tank). OTOH, this sounds like a DEF consumption issue, given the amount that's being put in. It's not normal to be using 2.5 gal. in 5,000 miles. Our car seems to be going at least twice that far on that amount. When I did the 40K service (the first one where I added DEF, the previous three services all having been free), it took about a quart shy of a 2.5 gal jug.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^Unless the OP can confirm the dealer tech actually FILLED the AdBlue tank, everything is speculation. This is a very common tech oversight, documented many times here, which is why I do ALL my AdBlue refills.
I'd simply document the concern with the dealership (in their computer system), accurately fill the tank, and monitor it from that point. Easy: Drive 1k miles, refill the tank, note the amount (no different than measuring MPGs, right?)

No need to worry about excess consumption at this point.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
My '13 is right on plan, filling every 10K miles and using most of 2.5 gals. I buy fresh jug of DEF every time rather than let it sit in a hot Texas garage. Usually some DEF left in the jug after each refill.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Just had my last free 30k service 2k mi ago at a Central Florida dealer. Bought a 2.5gal jug of urea at Sam's Club and the car took the whole thing.

Is this a case of the dealer 'forgetting' or designing non-warrantied repeat business when the 'light' goes on?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think many here give WAY too much credit to servicing personnel/dealerships, thinking they have the intelligence to be clever.
I think it's simply incompetence.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Sure sign of if they topped off the tank is there should be a mess in the trunk of splash marks. If its clean very unlikely they added any adblue.

dministrator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Sunroof+Nav
OP Here.

I spoke to the dealership about this; they asked me to bring it in for a refill. Went there this Saturday and they did it at no cost.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...sigh...IMO, you still don't know if they filled it.

Simple. Buy the small (refillable) "Kruze" bottle, which screws directly into the tank. Wrap a shop towel around the fill opening, try to add more AdBlue. You'll then know for certain if the tank is filled.

I'm not really cynical, but rather, experienced!;)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I think many here give WAY too much credit to servicing personnel/dealerships, thinking they have the intelligence to be clever.
I think it's simply incompetence.
True- I got the chance to chat with a Honda lube tech for a few hours- his lack of knowledge gave me cold chills down my spine with statements like "Hondas 0w20 oils flows fast and removes more heat than thicker oils that overheat before the have flowed threw the engine" :eek:

kenners

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup - Traded in 2- 2014 Passat's
Owning 2 - 2014 Passats, I've filled the DEF tank each time the local dealership has completed my yearly services. Equal to 4 times, each time I've added 6 to 14 cups of DEF. I also noticed windshield fluid had not been filled, called dealer and they stated they were out on that particular day. I've also picked up vehicles from non VW dealers for oil changes and services. Oil was missing 2 quarts, dealer stated they only put in 5 quarts - it takes 7. Asked why they don't inform owner, never got a good response. Same dealer told me they had done tune up on same motorhome, pulled spark plug, it was old and still had sock over air filter from new delivery. ALWAYS verify, NEVER assume !

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Owning 2 - 2014 Passats, I've filled the DEF tank each time the local dealership has completed my yearly services. Equal to 4 times, each time I've added 6 to 14 cups of DEF. I also noticed windshield fluid had not been filled, called dealer and they stated they were out on that particular day. I've also picked up vehicles from non VW dealers for oil changes and services. Oil was missing 2 quarts, dealer stated they only put in 5 quarts - it takes 7. Asked why they don't inform owner, never got a good response. Same dealer told me they had done tune up on same motorhome, pulled spark plug, it was old and still had sock over air filter from new delivery. ALWAYS verify, NEVER assume !
It's really sad when shops sink that low.

Also sad that many people don't have the technical know how to verify some of those things that you mention.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I've noticed an increase in consumption since the 23N5 update, but nothing near the amount that would trigger the warning in only 4,xxx miles.
Yep, I've noticed an increase also, and the NY Lawsuit tells us why.
Volkswagen made these misrepresentations despite its knowledge that the
proposed software recalls – recalls whose true purpose was to turn down the defeat devices in the
Generation 1s (by increasing EGR and Lean Trap regeneration) and Generation 2s (by increasing
EGR and urea dosing)
– would not bring the vehicles into compliance with applicable emissions
standards and, further, that they would increase fuel and urea consumption, respectively.
and
These notices were indisputably misleading. No dealer or customer who received
one would have understood why the recall was being conducted or the fact that the Subject
Vehicles’ urea consumption would likely substantially increase, in many cases requiring
consumers for the first time to refill their urea tanks between 10,000-mile service intervals.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I received the update quite a while ago, and have noticed no increase in urea (in that it hasn't needed filling between services at 10k and 20k) nor decreased fuel economy. I'm not disputing your results. It just seems that it might be something that is more affected by locality (local temps, terrain or other environmental issues).

Since I expect to sell back both of my diesels, I will probably not have the Passat long enough to know what the actual urea consumption is. I will likely only need to add some once before it goes back.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I received the update quite a while ago, and have noticed no increase in urea (in that it hasn't needed filling between services at 10k and 20k) nor decreased fuel economy.
VW's estimates (referenced in the lawsuit) was that 20% of owners would need to refill in less than 10k miles. So for most there should have been no noticeable change.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW's estimates (referenced in the lawsuit) was that 20% of owners would need to refill in less than 10k miles. So for most there should have been no noticeable change.
I'm with atc98002, no change in DEF usage, nor a change in MPG.

Curious as to how VAG arrived at the 20% number?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Urea is a function of how much idle time the engine sees.

NOx is formed mostly during low load operation.

If you drive mostly highway, 70+ you probably aren't using any urea.

City driving will always have the highest consumption.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My understanding is that urea consumption is almost directly related to fuel consumption at about a 3% rate in normal situations. Urea consumption on Volkswagen's cheating gen 2 cars are more like 1-1.5% of fuel consumption.