Parking Lights Shut Off When Car Is Locked?

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I have noticed that no matter what position I leave my headlight switch at (marker or low beam), all my lights turn off as soon as I lock the car. On my cousins '12, the parking lights stay on if left on even after the car is locked.

Anyone have any insight on this behaviour? Coding?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Perhaps VW changed it because too many people couldn't figure out how the headlights work. If you'll search, you'll find several threads of people complaining about the parking lights staying on.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply, Fred. Perhaps VW did make that change. IMO, if ppl can't operate their car HL, they should not even go for a walk unsupervised let alone drive!

In some situations, I like to leave my markers on while I leave my car for a few minutes. It makes parking enforcement think someone is in the car and it also helps with the visibility of the car in ab-normal short term (running in to the bank for cash....) parking situations at night.

I will have to compare coding between my '13 and my cousins '12.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I forgot to turn the fog lights off when we stopped for dinner the first night we had our car. The parking lights stayed on the entire time we were inside. I saw them on as we walked away from the car, but I thought it was a timer that turned them off. It's happened again since, but turned them back to auto having learned from the 1st experience. This is our first car with that type of switch. Didn't know. So, if you really want your parking lights to stay on, try leaving the fog light switched on when you turn the car off.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ I tried that. No matter what posn my HL switch is at, as soon as I hit the lock button on the fob any lights that were ON, turn OFF. As soon as I hit unlock, the light turn back ON (If I left them ON before locking).

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Yup, I hate that too- I often park in poorly lit areas with blowing snow or sideways rain with 70MPH traffic feet away that need parking lights on while im grabbing lunch or what not, but mine go off as well :mad:

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
Read the owners manual. Everything is there. Its a setup option in the MFI.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Read the owners manual. Everything is there. Its a setup option in the MFI.
I did read the owners manual.

I see your from MTL, perhaps there is a language barrier. I'm not talking about coming/leaving home feature, which CAN be enabled or disabled via the MFI.

Not only did I enable CH and LH but I coded it so it turns the fogs ON vice low beams.

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
I did read the owners manual.
I see your from MTL, perhaps there is a language barrier. I'm not talking about coming/leaving home feature, which CAN be enabled or disabled via the MFI.
Not only did I enable CH and LH but I coded it so it turns the fogs ON vice low beams.
Sorry my mistake! I thought your were talking about the leaving home/coming home timing!