3 Months 10,000 Miles

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Since buying my Passat in October I've logged 10,173 miles and had the 10K service performed yesterday. Although there is not much to talk about this early in the game, here are a few details from the service:
Ad-Blue fill took 2.7 gallons.
Oil Filter is a royal PITA (Which has been mentioned previously). Tech did a good job keeping the nearby components clean.
Although I have no real complaints with the stock Hankooks (realizing its an OEM Tire), I am disappointed in the wear. Prior to rotation my fronts were already down to 6/32, rears at 9/32. Given the wear rate, I don't see these tires making 30,000 miles.

Frankly, I anticipate I will not have much more to add to my service comments at 20K sometime in May.

Overall I am a very happy VW customer. Performance, economy, comfort and a strong value equation all rolled into a nice sedan. Not too shabby!

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Love the Tungsten and Oxford Green. Thanks for the update and here in Indiana we've had a very similar Minnesota winter. Everyone should get a badge of honor for dealing with this weather.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...hmmm...wondering about the tire life. BIL is replacing his OEM at 43k, still tread left. Others are getting 40k +. Mine at 23K miles had greater than 1/2 tread life remaining.

I know there have been threads discussing FE alignments issues. I wonder if the Passat, from the factory, just isn't always set up optimally for tire wear?

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
...hmmm...wondering about the tire life. BIL is replacing his OEM at 43k, still tread left. Others are getting 40k +. Mine at 23K miles had greater than 1/2 tread life remaining.

I know there have been threads discussing FE alignments issues. I wonder if the Passat, from the factory, just isn't always set up optimally for tire wear?
Yeah, I have a call into the Service manager to have it checked out. It seems excessive. Our roads are in fairly good condition and my commute is 85 miles one way on relatively level, straight expressway. In comparison my BMW lost 2/32 of tread on my Conti's after 12K (and that's on an AWD!). I'll post if I find anything...

collector_edi, I agree this winter has been fridgid. We have a UofM Research center in town, according to their weather data charting December averaged -5.4 degrees colder than average, with 13 days in sub-zero territory. January average -6.8 degrees colder than average with 20 days in sub zero territory, and so far in February we've incurred below zero temps 5 of the 6 days. Its been COLD! But I have to admit, I love winter, so it really hasn't slowed me down. Cross Country skiing, Ice fishing, hockey/skating on the lake behind our house and sledding with kids are a few ways in which we "cope" :D

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Our 2013 Passat TDI is our third TDI, the others being a 2006 Jetta and a 2005 Passat. All have been hard on tires, I attribute it to the heavier than gas motor hanging over the front end.