Loss of power. Now it won't start

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Just got off the phone with the service at the dealer. The service manager confirmed the failure of HPFP.
They are replacing the fuel system and will be repeatedly flushing the fuel tank. They ordered the necessary parts (New pump /injectors / fuel filter housing etc)
Some of the parts are in and they are still waiting for other stuff to come in.
50k plus on the car

Um.. Yes. Very speedy for a repair of this magnitude, especially since the parts should have to be ordered from VW. I doubt dealers keep parts for repair of the HPFP in stock, especially for Passat as the failure seems to be far less with that car.

My guess is it wasn't the high pressure fuel pump.

- DZ

Ditto, DZ. My guess was the in tank lift pump and/or a clogged fuel filter.

We'll see when the OP gets back to us.

Bill

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Gents,
So no **** there I was driving home from Chicago, and about two miles from home my car starts kind of jerking, thinking I was in the wrong gear I downshifted to fourth and then to third. Same results. Eventually I came to stop light and I lost the power completely. Prior to the complete loss of power the battery light came on for a second or two.
Now I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting for a ride. The car won't start. It's cranking and I do have battery power but it ain't starting.

I checked for codes and there are none.
Any ideas?
Sounds familiar.

Just got off the phone with the service at the dealer. The service manager confirmed the failure of HPFP.
They are replacing the fuel system and will be repeatedly flushing the fuel tank. They ordered the necessary parts (New pump /injectors / fuel filter housing etc)
Some of the parts are in and they are still waiting for other stuff to come in.

50k plus on the car
Confirmed my suspicion.

The dealer called and said my car is ready for pick up.
Quite speedy, no?
Normal speed when it is the first time to happen to the car. If it happens again to this car, then expect weeks of troubleshooting and run-around.

Um.. Yes. Very speedy for a repair of this magnitude, especially since the parts should have to be ordered from VW. I doubt dealers keep parts for repair of the HPFP in stock, especially for Passat as the failure seems to be far less with that car.

My guess is it wasn't the high pressure fuel pump.

- DZ
Dealers don't lie about these repairs; they actually have to return the failed HPFP to VW.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Preventative Recommendations to avoid Problem Recurrence:

1 - Be careful to fuel up in diesel stops where trucks are constantly buying diesel (to make sure the diesel you get is fresh and properly winterized).

2 - Don't fuel up in a gas station that recently installed a diesel fueling station (they may use old fuel tanks contaminated with gasoline, and the gas station crew is bound to make mistakes in getting used to diesel deliveries and proper equipment maintenance).

3 - Fill up every tank with a good diesel fuel additive. Go to the "Fuels" TDIClub sub-forum and pick your choice of additive. The idea is to be sure the diesel you put in your car is properly winterized (don't rely only on the gas station for this), and with sufficient lubricants.

4 - Don't trust the average Dealer to properly maintain your TDi. The Dealer mechanics make mistakes, and since TDi's are not the majority of Passats in most VW Dealers, they are more likely than not to make a mistake in servicing your car: from improperly fueling your car with gas, to putting in the wrong type of engine oil, to improperly replacing key TDi parts like the fuel filter and such, etc.

Outside of that, enjoy wour TDi Passat

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
1 - Be careful to fuel up in diesel stops where trucks are constantly buying diesel (to make sure the diesel you get is fresh and properly winterized).
Caveat - Truck stops commonly install separate storage tanks for auto diesel and semi diesel. The turnover of one does not equal the turnover of the other.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I'm still in Kentucky for work.
I will be able to pick up the car from the dealer on Friday and as soon as I get the information I will update this post.
From talking to the Service they did indeed replace the HPFP as well as the fuel system components and they flushed the fuel tank numerous times.
The car is done and is awaiting my pick up upon my return to IL

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Picked up the car today. Works good.
Talked to the Service Manager about the cause of the problem and he said that VWoA won't admit to the fuel causing the failure. At least he's not being told that.
He also told me that he hasn't seen the same car come back twice with HPFP failure once they replaced it.

kchizmar

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
My HPFP just went out on Sunday.... Sent metal debri throughout my whole system and am now waiting to see if extended warranty will cover it!

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
The extended warranty shouldn't even play a role. They didn't even call mine since the VWoA got involved right away. I'm sorry bro, been there done that. It sucks. Definitely puts owning a Tdi in perspective.