Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Old Navy said:
Careful you are on a slippery slope, but let say that when I was there first time I thought the real estate lady was making a pass at me the way she was pronouncing the name. :eek: :D
I win!:D

....right?

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
And guess what....it's all true...LOL....

It's so funny....now that I have been living in laurel for a few years...when I go back to Essex or Dundalk (aka dundaak) it is really funny how different people are then just 25 miles south. Of course my mother still lives up there and most of the rest of my family...it's just funny. Anyway, I don't like to make fun of people...but it's a unique place.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I have a story, its a two in one! I went back to the truck stop where the attendant told me I coulnt use it because it would make my engine explode....I finally got her to turn the pump on for me but she was pissed! Mean and nasty. After about half way through the conversation I decided to keep going just to make a point. Finally another attendant told me I can do it but at my own risk and if anything happened or was destroyed it was my responsibility. Whatever and I filled up. But a trucker was running out when I started and yelled "Your putting diesel in that! Is it a diesel car?" Oh it sure is buddy. He was impressed.

mk4gasm

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
dieselgrandad said:
Mr. Moderator; STICKY THIS THREAD!!! :D

I always pronounced it "NORfuk".
it is norfuk unless you live in the ghetto part, then its nawfok. just dont say nor-folk.

oh and if youre still coming down here, be safe. it goes hard in some parts.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Used to live in Chesapeake near corner where VB, Chesapeake and Norfolk come together, about 2 blocks off Indian River Rd, but I can't remember the names of the street we lived on at the moment. Senility has raised its ugly head again. :eek:

Update we lived on Hazel Ave and then sold that house in late 90 or early 91 (it was VB instead of Cheaspeake IIRC) and the sold the house and move to Elm Ave near Providence Rd before I retired and moved to MO in '93 for some stupid reason.

Last edited:

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
This story wasn't at the "fuel station" but...

I was pulling into a Sam's club to pay a bill, and as I was pulling in what appeared to be a family was loading their car with the tons of crap they bought at Sams.

I parked near them and I think they noticed the diesel "pur".
Guy asked me, so what sort of mileage do you get, I told him, well I have a ton of stop and go traffic so this week I have beeing getting about 38MPG... sort of low. He inquired further, I said last week I did a road trip up to the track and got abou 46MPG. He was sort of impressed with the 38 in the city. I said, yep, even if people think I pay a lot per gallon, I am still ahead of the game. I told him about my SUV that used to get 24 highway.... and 6 in they city, he said, well you can make your car payment with what you are saving now.

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
Was filling up the P'sot for the weekend when a guy on a Gold Wing pulls up to the gas pump behind me. As he's filling his bike he looks at me and says "diesel huh?"
me: "yep"
Him: "what kinda mileage you get, 35 or so?"
me: "if I keep my foot out of it, more like 47-48, some guys get 50"
Him: "NO WAY!"
me: "check my trip odometer"
He sticks his head in the car, pulls it out and says "766" as I pull the nozzle at $77 :mad: just shy of 16 gallons. I pull up the calculator on my phone and we do the math: 766/16=47.8 MPG.
Him:"Jeez - that's what I get w/ my bike!"
But he does have heated seats and hand-grips. :D

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
my Harley and TDi get pretty much the same milage....need a new excuse to ride since getting the TDi

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
dayne66 said:
my Harley and TDi get pretty much the same milage....need a new excuse to ride since getting the TDi
same with me and my Duc...both get 50MPG. my sidecar rig gets about 35MPG so i think my wife might start driving that back and forth to work instead of her 2000 silverado 3/4ton....that 6.0L is thirsty to the tune of 14MPG if you baby it!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Donny O. said:
same with me and my Duc...both get 50MPG. my sidecar rig gets about 35MPG so i think my wife might start driving that back and forth to work...
Every day I drive past schools, and every morning and every afternoon there are long LONG lines of SUVs lined up to drop off or pick up children.

But a while back I saw a very smart guy dropping off his daughters -- one was in the sidecar, the other sitting on the pillion behind him. It was in front of an elementary school, so probably less than 2 miles from home to school on residential streets. Very safe, and very smart.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Probably very cool for the kids. Everyone is seen in an SUV, and plenty of kids are now aware of how foolish they are. Now, step in a couple of kids arriving in something cool and unusual and presto = nice vibe. ;)

4mula1

TDI
none
BeetleGo said:
Probably very cool for the kids. Everyone is seen in an SUV, and plenty of kids are now aware of how foolish they are. Now, step in a couple of kids arriving in something cool and unusual and presto = nice vibe. ;)
But Dad! The helmet will totally wreck my hair!!! Can't we take the <insert overstuffed SUV here> instead? It has more headroom...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
4mula1 said:
But Dad! The helmet will totally wreck my hair!!! Can't we take the <insert overstuffed SUV here> instead? It has more headroom...
LOL! The Beetle has enough headroom for an 80's hairband to not ruin their hair.:p

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
whitedog said:
LOL! The Beetle has enough headroom for an 80's hairband to not ruin their hair.:p
Heck, some mornings it seems I've got Max Headroom in mine. At least until I get some coffee in me.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
whitedog said:
Yeah, I bet many, many TDI operators do that when getting in a gasser.

But have you ever gotten into a rig with no power windows and were rolling the window up with one hand on the key, waiting until the window reached the top before shutting off the key?

Dog has.
Old quote but this one made me laugh out loud! Dog, maybe you are a prime candidate for an alientech window controller (you can get out of your car and roll em up or down or leave 'em craked a half inch from your existing key fob) I've had mine for four years and I LOVE it every day in the summer: http://www.alientech.net/

Anyway, my story: was 100km away from home when my low fuel light came on, so I had to fill up at one of those "GAS Stations" that I always avoid. I put in exactly 5 liters. A contractor looking guy in an overloaded gasser pickup truck was filling up across from me he says, "That's it?" I let out a big sigh and say, "Yeah, I don't like to use just regular diesel fuel, so I'm just putting in 5 liters to get me 100km back home where I have biodiesel blend in my shed." His eyes got really wide, and he just said, "Oh!" I was in an out and paid while he was still staring at the gas dollars clicking by. The fuel light came back on just before I got home.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
NarfBLAST said:
The fuel light came back on just before I got home.
Bah. You could have made it those 100Km after the light came on.

But I could have made it home from 1/4 tank on my Beetle from 135 miles away... maybe. And if I got scared, I would have had to buy fuel at a sub-"optimal" price. So I dropped in two gallons and made it home before the light came on.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
whitedog said:
Bah. You could have made it those 100Km after the light came on.

But I could have made it home from 1/4 tank on my Beetle from 135 miles away... maybe. And if I got scared, I would have had to buy fuel at a sub-"optimal" price. So I dropped in two gallons and made it home before the light came on.
Bah! You coulda made it 134mi on 1/4 tank before the light came on! My rule of thumb is you get at least 100km or 60mi per 1/8th tank on the fuel gauge, and when the light comes on it is time to start "looking" for a place to fillup... the manual says you have 7 liters left, which is at least another 100km and I did drive over 100km with the light on once when the Golf was new... but I don't want to be "that guy" at the side of the road.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL! I have run out of gas more times than I want to think about, but I have yet to run out of Diesel.

**Looks at picture of Jessica Alba and knocks on wood**

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
DAYUM!!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, back on topic...

I'm part of the Coop with the hippies, and I never see anyone at the cardlock.

I feel so lonely and don't get any good stories. I expect to sometime since the cardlock there was put in to serve the big trucking company across the street.

On the other hand, they probably see lots of hippies driving their Mercedes and VWs there so they may already know the truth.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
Got Oil?

Well, I finally have some sort of a story. My trip to take my TDI to nor-fuk proved to be interesting. I filled up with B11 here at the citgo station on 41 before i left. Made it all the way to I-64, just east of the west virgina border in virginia. It was 0330 saturday morning and my fuel meter was droping below a 1/4 so i started looking for a place.

Kept pulling off at exits one after another with signs for D2, to no avail, they were all closed. The only stations that were open just sold REG. I keep trying exits until 45 miles after my light chimes. Pull up to a BP station in the middle of no where and ask the lady's working there if there is any place that sells Diesel that's open. They point me east to exit 55 in Lexington VA. I'm sitting at exit 24. Another 32 miles. Oh Snap:eek:.

I have my car parked on level ground and check the fuel gauge between off, and on, It doesn't move at all. So i know i'm down to nothing. Hmmm, now what. I could sit here for another 4-5 hours doing nothing waiting for another station to open. Or...Hmmm:rolleyes:. I have peanut oil in my trunk for my deep fryer i'm moving.. I open my trunk, still have about 1 gal. This is brand new peanut oil btw. I make a funnel out of a piece of paper and dump it in.

I let it idle for a min, just waiting for something to happen. Nothing, car just purs. So, back on the freeway I go. I get up to 55 and put cruise on. My fuel gauge is just above the bottom line. Just barely. I make it to exit 55 and pull into the station, YES :D D2. I leave my car running and start filling up. It's 0415 saturday morning. I had been driving for the last 14 hours, 765 miles. So i'm a little out of it at this point. Well, i'm focused on being done driving. Just 4 hours to go. I get the idea to smell the exhaust, yep, smells like peanuts. lol. I finished my trip and crashed at my new apartment just after 0830 in newport news.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Yesterday we traveled to the family cemeteries to place flowers, etc. While on the way out of town we fueled up at the highest price I've paid yet. $4.599, It figured out to 45.8 MPG on the last tank.

The fellow on the other side of the pump was filling a super duty and claimed to be able to hit 19 if he babied it on the highway. I understood that this was NOT what he gets, but was the best he had EVER gotten...(You guys know how most people think of MPGs...)
I told him I had just managed 45 MPG and most always got better than 40. He Perked up and asked what kind of car it that??? 'A Jetta? Sweet!'

About 20 miles further down the road, we passed a fatal one car(ranger pickup) accident. A 62 year old man lost control, entered the median and went airborne after crossing an emergency vehicle turnaround. So sad.

We saw lots of motorcycles, each of them set up for long distance travel and carrying lots of luggage/baggage. This was quite unusual for this location and time of year. Evidently some people chose to take a bike instead of a car or truck for the long weekend out of town. I saw lots of former pasture being turned out for crops this year.... Hope that works out well for all of us!

Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday. Thanks to all our Vets out there!!
May God Bless you all.

Bill

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
whitedog said:
DAYUM!!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, back on topic...

I'm part of the Coop with the hippies, and I never see anyone at the cardlock.

I feel so lonely and don't get any good stories. I expect to sometime since the cardlock there was put in to serve the big trucking company across the street.

On the other hand, they probably see lots of hippies driving their Mercedes and VWs there so they may already know the truth.
"Hippies driving their Mercedes"........ well I have the MB, I have the card for the card lock Co-Op....I guess I am still a 1969/70 hippie. Just wish I had the hair I used to have back then... down to my shoulders :eek: