hail repair before buy back?

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
is VW going to care about body condition as far as paint, plastic, and that thin as hell sheet metal on the cars when they do buy back? i cant find anything about condition anywhere, just miles, options and location.

trying to figure out if i need to make an insurance claim for the hail damage on my roof and trunk lid i just found after washing :mad:

going back to MK1's I think.

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have some hail damage and I am not going to mess up my insurance with a claim before turning the car in. I have read they don't care about body issues as long as you can drive car onto lot, but I can't find that info now.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Everything I read says no.
So imo don't get it fixed....
Just drive it, and continue your golf ball impersonation, or tell folks the car is part of a scientific study to see if the dents improve mpg!! They do make a golf ball fly further right!!

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Thanks guys! I am thinking it would be one thing if my deductable was $100, but $500 is enough that I dont care to get it fixed if it isnt going to do any positive. With my luck it would raise my rates.

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
hail is covered under comp and can have a 0 deductible for very little increase in cost. First time you use comp it pays for years of cost difference over a 500 comp deductible.

Comp claim isn't considered an accident as would a claim on collision and thus you don't lose any accident free discount.

:)

Personally I would pray for hail to hit mine before I turn it in ;)

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
If it's a non-fault claim and won't cause your insurance to go up ... go to insurance co, get check, cash it and keep money.

Nothing scammy or sketchy about it.

Example - Your car has condition Y (say, hail damage) which lowers it's value $500. You get a check for $500 to get it fixed. You can get it fixed, or just keep the $500 to compensate you for lowered resale value (next buyer will be like DUDE - look at that hail damage! I'll pay you $500 less!)

It's not a Bad Thing. You're getting cash to fix, or to compensate you for loss of value. There's nothing morally, ethically, or legally* wrong in deciding to keep fix money instead of getting the fix.

* I am not an attorney or qualified to give legal advice

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Body condition is not considered as long as you can drive it to the dealer and it the correct engine.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I also read that Body condition is not considered, as there wont be a buyer for the buy backs. Our local news reported that they will be scrapped- I'm keeping mine as it will be a very rare car when my kiddo's are older kind of like the Chrysler turbine

Last edited:

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
If it's a non-fault claim and won't cause your insurance to go up ... go to insurance co, get check, cash it and keep money.

Nothing scammy or sketchy about it.

Example - Your car has condition Y (say, hail damage) which lowers it's value $500. You get a check for $500 to get it fixed. You can get it fixed, or just keep the $500 to compensate you for lowered resale value (next buyer will be like DUDE - look at that hail damage! I'll pay you $500 less!)

It's not a Bad Thing. You're getting cash to fix, or to compensate you for loss of value. There's nothing morally, ethically, or legally* wrong in deciding to keep fix money instead of getting the fix.

* I am not an attorney or qualified to give legal advice
This is kind of the answer I was hoping for.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As long as the hail didn't damage the engine to the point that the vehicle doesn't drive under its own power, you're fine.

The ONLY conditional requirement for buyback or fix is that the vehicle can be driven under its own 2.0 TDI engine power. Body condition, rust, hail damage, bald tires, destroyed interior, etc., do not matter.

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
As long as the hail didn't damage the engine to the point that the vehicle doesn't drive under its own power, you're fine.

The ONLY conditional requirement for buyback or fix is that the vehicle can be driven under its own 2.0 TDI engine power. Body condition, rust, hail damage, bald tires, destroyed interior, etc., do not matter.

Hahaha anyone need any moonrock interior parts!?