Front License Plate Bracket

LimonPani

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDi SE DSG
I know...dumb question (but easy for you) :)

I need to install a plate on the front, what kind of screws should I get to mount the plate to the front license plate bracket. It is the standard dealer installed one.

I assume some kind of self tapping?

Thanks!

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I need to install a plate on the front, what kind of screws should I get to mount the plate to the front license plate bracket.
Thanks!
I just use some very short, course threaded black screws. They have to be very short else you will go thru the black frame and will hit your bumper. They don't necessarily have to be self tapping, but more of a wood screw type as opposed to a sheet metal screw. Also, just make sure the head on the screw is bigger than the hole in your license plate. Here's what I have on the front of mine.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

I need to install a plate on the front, what kind of screws should I get to mount the plate to the front license plate bracket. It is the standard dealer installed one.
I assume some kind of self tapping?
Thanks!
It depends if you install a thick plate cover or not.
But on my car the screws are a # 10 x 3/4''self tapping screw installed by the dealer.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just in case the screw head is too small, GOD invented washers to fill the void !!!

Stamie

TDI
02 Golf GLS 324,000 all stock original..... 2013 Passat tdi se 62,000 same
That would break my heart to drill/screw into my perfect 2013 bumper....so, with the oem plate bracket, which btw secures to the lower grill with two lower moulded-in plastic clips which are un-doable......then with the two upper mounts which require screws.....use 2 to 3 small layers of 3m heavy duty mounting tape instead. Holding up after years of weather and car washes. No holes!

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
My Texas front plate is on a mount screwed into my bumper... When I move back to PA i am already expecting to get it fixed.... Hate that they did that.

Stamie

TDI
02 Golf GLS 324,000 all stock original..... 2013 Passat tdi se 62,000 same
Texas requires a front Plate ?? If so, then you may as well leave it alone since the holes are there already....not a biggie.