2013 Passat TDI WAGON

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Keep your eyes open for a BMW 320d touring in the next couple of years. They have committed to bringing the 2L diesel over for MY14 and the touring (wagon) next spring for the US market. Now to get them to offer the two in the same package...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/gallery/2.../large/2013-BMW-3-Series-Sports-Wagon-005.jpg
BMW confirmed a few days ago that this will be coming with a 2L diesel this year :D
BMW also plans to introduce three new diesel models to the U.S. in 2013, in addition to the highly successful BMW X5 35d, which reported a sales increase of 39% last year to over 10,000 vehicles (10,276). The 4-cylinder diesel will premiere in the 3 Series Sedan and Touring and the new 6-cylinder diesel will make its debut in the 5 Series. For the first time ever in the U.S., diesel AWD will be offered in the BMW 5 Series.
press release

Last edited by a moderator:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm not sure what the budget for "semi-affluent" allows, but the BMW 530d xDrive will be available in the US this year.
You'd have to be somewhat affluent to want an AWD midsize station wagon with a diesel, since the only one that would come to this country would be knocking on $50k MSRP. Think about it... the cheapest AWD Audi A4 you can buy is already $34k, and that is a stick, and a sedan (wagons NLA here). Add the diesel ($7k), and the wagon ($2k) and some "options" people think they need... gonna be pretty 'spensive. And this is an A4, not really that big. Step up to an A6 and you START at $44k.

I think it would be neat to have it available, though. Just don't think many people would be buying them. But we'll see, if Audi does what they say they will and expands TDIs across the line here, and some of the other manufacturers jump on the diesel train, maybe.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They haven't mentioned the 530d being available in a wagon over here- just sedan for now.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
$50k buys a nice Tauareg TDI LUX these days, good for 25-30mpg. No 3 rows, but AWD, lots of torque. Not as nicely appointed as a Q7, but similar pricing to an A6 sedan!

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
wagon

LOL- someone mentioned asking their dealer about info on a '13 Passat wagon. I went to Crown VW in Lawrence to special order a Passat tdi SE and was told that the brochure was incorrect and they haven't and aren't making manual transmissions SE's without a sunroof. The salesman had an award for salesman of the year on his desk and he was clueless!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
.... I need space, great gas mileage, style, reliability and preferably all wheel drive for northeast winter conditions. ...
I just saw over on Bimmerfest where they are showing a (edit)"3 diesel xDrive" at the Montreal show!! BMW might be your ticket if you can wait a few months!

But on second glance, they are showing a 6cyl putting out 240hp and only 295 lb-ft. I'm very confused right now...

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The page you requested cannot be found. :(

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I was at auto show, VW makes Touareg TDi, a very nice looking car. Yes it cost more then Passat wagon, but it uses better materials.

joem

TDI
Still waiting for a ALLTRACK TDI AWD
I don't see them bringing it in to the U.S. and VW N.A. told me so.
Bottom Live VW Bring in the ALLTRACK TDI with AWD and keep the Passat Wagon. If you must import the Hybrids TDI combos and make sure it is AWD. I would be the first in line!

Last edited:

murray8144

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6M
I hope they don't bring the Passat wagon here because if they do I'm going to immediately trade in the '14 Passat sedan i just bought...and my wife will subsequently kill me.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I checked jeep diesel model it's nice V6 little more louder then our TDi's. It has very nice interior, the price tag is 50,280 bucks with all kind options like even perforated seats, displaying txt msg.
I might will be buying this car in couple years as used. The 50k is little too much for me now.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I checked jeep diesel model it's nice V6 little more louder then our TDi's. It has very nice interior, the price tag is 50,280 bucks with all kind options like even perforated seats, displaying txt msg.
I might will be buying this car in couple years as used. The 50k is little too much for me now.
Go ahead, since there is no Passat Wagon in the future.

Also, you can't beat a 4x4 when it comes to utility.

Plus, you won't have to contend with the Bosch CP4.1 self-destructing HPFP.

dragfree

TDI
2013 Passat
Alert VW NA exec's -
I am your target middle-aged, semi-affluent US car-buyer. I am done w SUV's. I commute 100 miles per day. I need space, great gas mileage, style, reliability and preferably all wheel drive for northeast winter conditions.
I would buy a Passat TDI All-Track in a heartbeat! You could dominate the clean-diesel market here by offering a sport-wagon alternative to the burgeoning small SUV craze.
I don't need AWD, but would have bought a Passat Wagon if it had been offered. Our search for a new roomy commuter last year narrowed down to Jetta Sportwagen (inadequate backseat legroom even if seldom used), Subaru Forester/Outback (not as elegant as the Vdubs nor as comfortable for daily commuting, and not available -- yet! -- in the U.S. with diesel), and Passat, which is what we bought. We like it very much, so far, but would LOVE it if it were a wagon.

Sure, the idiotic SUV craze has crippled the market for wagons in America, but the tide will turn, the trendiness will crash and burn, and the 90% of purchasers who need the space but nothing else will shift back to wagons as soon as Madonna or Lady Gaga does an ad for them.

As is, I'm betting that Subaru brings their diesel to the States before VW offers a US Passat wagon.

(re. Beemer/Audi/MB wagons: "semi-affluent" doesn't mean we can afford to spend foolishly. Years ago I calculated what assets I would need to have before I would feel comfortable spending $20-30K more on a car just for slightly better trim and intangible leg tingles. I figured at least $5 million, but even then I would feel like a dork. Yes, my friends' Lexuses, etc., are nice ... but not as nice as my plain-Jane Passat TDI SE.

Last edited:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
BMW X5 diesel can be pick high 20's and low 30's with around 40,000 miles. It should be a best buy so far SUV diesel.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
why should it be so expensive? just bring the Passat with a hatch....and exactly same powertrains and forget about 4 wd etc....should be priced...2-3 k more than regular sedan...max....

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Can anyone here confirm a story one of my colleagues told me today? He moved a few years ago to the US from Belgium where he drove a Jetta TDI. So he bought a new Jetta TDI here. He now is looking for a larger car as his family is growing. He wanted to by a Passat Wagon, which is widely available in Europe. When he was told that such a car wasn't available here, he inquired a bit more and was told that the Passat Wagon for the non-US market is in fact built here in the US or in Mexico and then shipped to other markets.

This sounds a bit farfetched to me, but then, what do I know.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Unlikely as the Passat wagon for the RoW (Rest of the World) would be based on the B7 platform, not the NMS platform that is built here in the land of the stars and stripes.

There is no wagon built on the NMS platform. My guess is the B7 wagon is built somewhere in Europe.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, in Emden, Germany most likely. I guess it could be in Brussels, Belgium, though. The European "B7" is really just a facelifted B6, and while it may appear similar to ours, it is a different platform.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^^

Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. The NMS ("New Model Sedan") built in Chattanooga TN for sale in North America is not the same car as the B7 Passat produced and sold in Europe. The whole point of the NMS was to produce a "decontented" car that could be sold in a price range competitive with the dominant CamAltiAccFusEtc. cars dominant in this market segment. In that, I believe they have succeeded, and we approved enough to buy one. We would NOT have purchased the $40,000 Passat sold in Europe, we DID buy a $29,000 Passat.

That VW should have considered a different model name for this different Passat is another question, and one upon which I hold no opinion.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
^^^^^

Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. The NMS ("New Model Sedan") built in Chattanooga TN for sale in North America is not the same car as the B7 Passat produced and sold in Europe. The whole point of the NMS was to produce a "decontented" car that could be sold in a price range competitive with the dominant CamAltiAccFusEtc. cars dominant in this market segment. In that, I believe they have succeeded, and we approved enough to buy one. We would NOT have purchased the $40,000 Passat sold in Europe, we DID buy a $29,000 Passat.

That VW should have considered a different model name for this different Passat is another question, and one upon which I hold no opinion.
VW still has the CC (I think). But the only thing about the CC up on the Passat NMS is its "curvyness". In fact, the Passat NMS has a better headroom+legroom design inside than the CC.

For all our exterior shape complaints, our current Passat NMS is not as ugly as the original Passat:

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
FWIW, I drove a 2012 Passat Wagon TDI in the UK last year. I was not particularly impressed by the ride handling and the road noise, which I found to be loud.

TDI_SC

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I believe they have succeeded, and we approved enough to buy one. We would NOT have purchased the $40,000 Passat sold in Europe, we DID buy a $29,000 Passat
I would have gladly paid $40k for a TDI Passat with more "content." The next step up in a diesel sedan is a $62,000 Audi A6. So $40k would have been a bargain in my book.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Soon it should be next year, Volvo will sale XC70 with gasoline 4 cyl turbo engine with crazy mpg like up 40 mpg on hwy and 30 city. Of course we shall see that.It's called something Drive-E engine.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I would have gladly paid $40k for a TDI Passat with more "content." The next step up in a diesel sedan is a $62,000 Audi A6. So $40k would have been a bargain in my book.
Interesting, as the A6 was the only other Eurosedan we considered (we are SAAB owners of 42 years, but loyalty only works with living marques). Is the A6 more car than the Passat? Oh, yes. Acceleration, appointments, pretty much every category. Enough for $60K vs. $30K? Don't make me laugh.

And the $40K Passat is purely hypothetical from a U.S. standpoint, because the $30K Passat has done what the former could never do: sell well in this market.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
When I talked to a VW sales manager a few weeks ago he asked me - What would it take to get you to trade in your '09 Sportwagen and buy a new VW? I told him that VW would have to offer a new car that I liked better than my sportwagen - like a TDI Passat wagen. He said that VW does not want to sell anything that would "cut into" their Sportwagen sales numbers. Therefore there is currently no plans for the Tennessee plant to turn out wagens. There have been rumors about a Passat "All Track" (four wheel drive and lifted) wagen coming from Europe, but I would not hold my breath. It won't be here for years and it won't be inexpensive. All we can do is to continuously ask for what we want and hope that they eventually listen. If my dealer had a new Passat TDI wagen on the lot with a manual transmission I would be there tomorrow.

Have Fun!

Don
That's pretty much the same thing I was told by the local dealer as well. Bummer b/c we'd love to trade in our gas Passat wagon for a TDI one but currently no dice.