Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
2017 Cruze to have Diesel engine, and possibly be a 1.6L.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/this-is-the-2016-chevrolet-cruze/

Naturally, one engine option isn’t enough. So Chevrolet is also equipping the 2016 Cruze with the new 1.6L Whisper Diesel engine, as seen in several Opel models.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/24/2016-chevy-cruze-reveal/

In 2017, Chevrolet will introduce a new diesel model for U.S. customers that builds on the success of the current Cruze diesel model.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Count me in. I love driving the Cruze. It is my preferred car whenever I get a rental. Since I drive like a granny I will gladly sacrifice torque and power for fuel economy. I wish VW oferred it in US.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
flüsterdiesel

it features upgraded tech, new powertrain options, and a lighter chassis that is 27-percent more rigid than the one underpinning the current car ... Does the word 'flüsterdiesel' mean anything to you? In German, it means 'whisperdiesel,' and it happens to be the nickname of the U.S. market Cruze’s new 1.6-liter turbodiesel powerplant. It won’t arrive until sometime in 2017, but Chevrolet says it was designed to be the quietest diesel in the world, period.
flüsterdiesel

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.........the Cruze diese - with the hood open now - is one noisy 4-banger.

Granted, we don't often open the hood................

ez

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The new engine is suppose to be quieter.

cheoah

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta PD, '14 Passat
Count me in. I love driving the Cruze. It is my preferred car whenever I get a rental. Since I drive like a granny I will gladly sacrifice torque and power for fuel economy. I wish VW oferred it in US.

I thought they sold these in U.S. Although I've never seen one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The 2013 article describes a diesel engine with more electronic gizmos than Carter's got little liver pills. Since the article dated in 2015 didn't really say much of anything about the diesel engine, it makes me wonder how much of it survived the last couple of years, and what the promised engine can deliver.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cheers!

PH

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

Starting this, because I did not see one yet on TDIclub.. I traded my 2012 VW Jetta TDI for the Cruze TDI yesterday.. If I were driving the car (I drive the old beaters), I'd stayed with VW and rode this thing out, because it is less cost, but I aim to keep my wife in a reliable car, and the HPFP on VW CR first, then the news.... and well, had to make the switch before the bottom fell out on trade-in value.. near as I can figure it was going down about $1k per day, based on my dealer offers!

So far I'm VERY impressed with the Cruze, it is a bit smaller than the Jetta, but plenty of power, and shifts are good, not a precise at the DSG, but the transmission is an AISIN trans, who has an excellent reputation for the best transmission every for the Cummins power Dodge Ram trucks.. so expecting it to also perform.

I did homework on the Cruze TDI, it is based on the 1.9l VMmotori (http://www.vmmotori.com/) A-420 engine (Italy) and was produced for GM by a former joint GM/Fiat venture, and the engine has been considered solid and has been selling in EU for some time before coming to US in Cruze in 2014. These vehicles are still a tiny population of cars on the road in total.

I've been informed the HPFP on this is a older more robust design, CP1 pump, can hear it whine similar to the CP3 pump. It appears to be driven at 2/3 crank speed.

I would guess other VW owners may well be looking at this option too. It would be interesting to hear thoughts and stories about that here.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Remember the engine from the CRUZE comes from Germany (from OPEL).... maybe the Software too! I'm not sure, if it comes from Italy!

MRO1791

TDI
Remember the engine from the CRUZE comes from Germany (from OPEL).... maybe the Software too! I'm not sure, if it comes from Italy!
Correct, OPEL makes the engine (GM in Germany basically).. the design was based on the VMmotori.. Fiat/GM worked on it, and parted ways leaving GM license to the design for production.

The sticker has Engine: Germany, Transmission: Japan. Final assembly: Lordstown OH.

The BMW on the test that started this all, Germany, and it passed.. To do what VW did it takes the integration of data from wheel sensors, steering angle, barometric pressure, and some other engine parameters.. given the effort to integrate the other GM modules to the engine ECM, there would have to be quite the number of workers in the know to replicate what VW did.. since VW does all its systems in house, and I think all design in Germany.. would be far fewer in on the scheme to do what they did, but BMW having a passing car is helpful to know, and I do think the SCR (DEF) VWs can be fixed pretty easy with a program update.. they were much closer to compliance, the LNT (no-DEF), not even close.

I would have kept the VW if mine was a SCR/DEF car.. then again I have the 2009 Cummins with the large LNT system and know the driving limits and use patterns it takes to make it not fail (not to mention the massive hit in MPG over my prior non LNT (2005 truck).. and can't do that with the car.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Starting this, because I did not see one yet on TDIclub.. I traded my 2012 VW Jetta TDI for the Cruze TDI yesterday.. If I were driving the car (I drive the old beaters), I'd stayed with VW and rode this thing out, because it is less cost, but I aim to keep my wife in a reliable car, and the HPFP on VW CR first, then the news....

I did homework on the Cruze TDI,
Your Cruze cannot be called a TDI. VW trademarked the TDI badging for their turbocharged direct injection diesel (TDI). Other manufacturers have to call their diesels something else if they want to put a diesel related badge on the car and create a brand name.

BMW simply calls their diesels "BMW Advanced Diesel". I've seen CRD on Daimler Chrysler, CDI and now Bluetec on the MBs.

I have seen one Chevy Cruze diesel in the wild and briefly talked to the owner and he loves the car and has owned diesels for many years.

Anyhow, congrats on your purchase! :cool:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Somewhere on this site I saw where you can get some cool Cruze Diesel badges from Australia, I think. Sounds like a great car. I keep looking but I've never seen one here in Indianapolis.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
There are several Cruze diesel discussion threads.

I considered one. I did not like the packaging on the urea system, no spare tire, tight rear seat room, and initial cost vs. predicted residual value. On the plus side it was very quiet in the cabin, overall nice interior and good radio and gauge/switchgear layout, decent handling and it felt surprisingly solid including the doors which reminded me of VW and other German vehicles.

There is a new diesel engine planned for 2017 Cruze and a hatchback version in late 2016 or early 2017.

MRO1791

TDI
There are several Cruze diesel discussion threads.

I considered one. I did not like the packaging on the urea system, no spare tire, tight rear seat room, and initial cost vs. predicted residual value. On the plus side it was very quiet in the cabin, overall nice interior and good radio and gauge/switchgear layout, decent handling and it felt surprisingly solid including the doors which reminded me of VW and other German vehicles.

There is a new diesel engine planned for 2017 Cruze and a hatchback version in late 2016 or early 2017.
I'll try to locate the other threads..

If I had the SCR VW car (DEF) I'd be keeping it, with an eventual CP3 HPFP conversion at some point.. but with that and the LNT, knowing it would not be good.. well made the switch.

It is a smaller car, smaller back seat, smaller trunk.. there is not way to deny that.

I also am old fashioned a bit, I don't even like the small donut spares and got a real rim and real spare tire in the old Saturn, its now getting to about 20 years old and 200K, but I've never needed it (great, having said that watch me get a flat today! :D).

Come to think of it, I can't recall using a spare since I began driving, modern tires are really pretty good.. so I won't worry too much, it does have the "fix a flat" and inflator kit.

Initially I was against DEF, like many.. but it has been around a while, and proving to be a better system by nearly all accounts than the LNT.. and at some point reality sinks in.

I hope GM continues to expand its diesel offerings, the new V6 Duramax for the Colorado will likely sell well and get over 30MPG on the hwy, and that would be huge for a pick-up, not to mention V8 Torque ratings and towing.

Oh, lastly, I never buy for residual value, understand many do.. way I look at it, I drive the car until it falls apart, the only cheap way to have a car is like that 20yr Saturn, gets near 40MPG.. and long past paid of, cheap insurance, yet still pretty darned reliable. I got 175K on the original clutch even. I would have done same for VW, but a shaking HPFP (already showing metal in the fuel filter) then the "fix" that is sure to come, and cause durability issues.. and it seemed time to punch out, and I was seeing a rapid drop in residual value for sure!

As far as a deal goes, I might well have done much better than average, but the Jetta in 2012 worked out to about 25K, for the S, the least equipped car.. but the Cruze is fully loaded, I don't think there is an available option it does not have, and with the high end of range on MSRP that seems to line up.. yet just on the car, I was at about 23K to start.. that is pretty amazing, and 3 model years later from the 2012..

MRO1791

TDI
Your Cruze cannot be called a TDI. VW trademarked the TDI badging for their turbocharged direct injection diesel (TDI). Other manufacturers have to call their diesels something else if they want to put a diesel related badge on the car and create a brand name.
Thanks, that is interesting.. well at this point then I'm not sure any other OEM would want to copy TDI given the scandal... (to me it was always, Turbo, Diesel, Intercooled) to say injected with diesel is redundant, that is the only way Diesel even works!

I'm going to be modifying the TDI monster mats from the Jetta for the new car, as they are great mats, the trade-in got the like new standard mats in it.. so I'll have the TDI on my floor mats in any case, which will be kind of ironic.

GM apparently is semi covert on the Cruze Diesel. The only way to know is the near 12pt font on the tiny green badge on the trunk that has "2.0 TD" I guess I can just marker over the blue "I" on those mats to match!

The Cruze "eco" has the same size/color green badge, and from more that 3 feet you can't know the difference the cars.. unless you know the special wheels on the eco.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I like the Cruze except: no manual, initial cost.
this would be the car I get if I wanted a newer one but it will be a used vehicle.

MRO1791

TDI
I like the Cruze except: no manual, initial cost.
this would be the car I get if I wanted a newer one but it will be a used vehicle.
I hear you, on paper MSRP was higher, in reality mine was cheaper than the Jetta from 2012, I can't claim this is going to happen to everyone, but the GM dealer moved way down on cost, and I got him up to 12.5K on trade, and they know about the VW issues.. and were clearly concerned (starting at 10.5K).

If cost were really MSRP, they'd be overpriced for sure.

Concur on manual, I also prefer, though the majority driver in my case is my wife (will drive manual, but likes auto), I get the beater '96 Saturn - 5 spd, occasionally 3500 Ram Cummins 6spd manual.. and we replaced a VW with the DSG.. Normally I don't like autos, but I have to say, the DSG is a very good transmission. From my limited drives on the Cruze, it has very similar shift ratios to the DSG, but it won't replicate the DSG downshifts during braking that I came to appreciate.. it is a torque converter auto after all.. so I'll replace more brake pads for sure!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
How does the Cruze handle on the road compared to a TDI? One of the other things I love about my TDI is the precise and nimble handling paired with the torque. I do a lot of high speed, crowded freeway commuting.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
And I tear up the backroads. If the GSW handles anywhere as good as my Fit I'll be impressed.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Coworker of mine has a cruze diesel.. its a nice car. For me, I needed tbe room the Passat offered, sadly the Cruze is not even close. Far less backseat room, and 1/2 of the trunk space. Even if it got 75mpg I would have to pass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MRO1791

TDI
I know why I did not realize TDI was unique to VW.. also own 2 Land Rovers.. doing the restoration on the '62 I considered the Diesel engine.. but did not go that route, because I did not want to change the classic front end to do so.. (The intercooler and radiator requires the newer style front end to fit in the car.)

That engine is known as the 300Tdi there was a 200Tdi prior to that, then the TD5 later.

Some pictures in the link below:

http://www.landroverimport.com/products.html

MRO1791

TDI
How does the Cruze handle on the road compared to a TDI? One of the other things I love about my TDI is the precise and nimble handling paired with the torque. I do a lot of high speed, crowded freeway commuting.
Well, I've not tried to be very aggressive yet, as I'm looking to see how high I can go on MPG.. right now in mixed city/hwy driving I'm up to 40MPG average.

Steering seems comparable to the Jetta, it has electronic assist and it varies with speed, it seems to be well done.

The transmission shift points are very, very close to the DSG, and it will go into 6th at just over 40MPH and hold it, much like the DSG.. I was a bit sad to lose the awesome engine braking with the downshifts of the DSG when slowing down, but noticed a surprising similarity.. this auto also does it, but more smoothly with the torque converter.

I live on a steep hill, and like to use low gear to avoid riding the brakes all the way down, the Cruze does just fine in manual mode in 1st gear going down, and its not spinning up the engine excessively to do so.

Cornering seems solid, I used to get an occasional thumping sound on the Jetta from the rear suspension during a turn (dealer inspected said all was fine).. No such issues so far with the Cruze.

Visibility in the car seems better than the Jetta, and I ended up with a car with the blind spot monitor mirrors, this is actually a pretty neat option as it turns out.