www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 1st, 2018, 12:34   #1
travis45
Veteran Member

Default Help! Fuel Rail Oscillation- CP3 pump/Stage 3 Tune

All,

I wanted to share my experience and am hoping someone can assist me in trouble shooting this situation. I installed a CP3 pump. Car runs well at low throttle/RPM. Step on it and I get this....

I've contacted Malone and they are reviewing. I've changed the fuel rail regulator, metering valve and now finally swapped the pump out. I'm at a loss of where to turn next. Malone has many cars with my setup and no problems.

Any suggestions on what to look at next are appreciated.

Respectfully,
Travis
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Frankenstien hybrid 2056 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD.

Last edited by travis45; January 1st, 2018 at 12:41. Reason: Added pictures more..
travis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:52   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Did this problem emerge when cold weather hit? If so, your filters may be getting restricted with wax or ice.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:57   #3
travis45
Veteran Member

It began when I first installed the CP3 pump. (The first one..). This was months ago. At the time we thought it was bouncing off the EGT limiter. I had my stage 3 tune defueled somewhat and the EGT's are good and there was no change to the rail pressure situation.

I'm out of ideas on where to turn next. I'm thinking about running a small container of diesel directly to the pump to eliminate any fuel starvation issues pre hpfp.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Frankenstien hybrid 2056 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:53   #4
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

Well we know that there is no calibration in your software for the CP3 to run as it should.
Usually stage 1-2 goes ok without any calibration.
Bobby and Ruben may have different opinion on this, if they wanna share with us.

The pump you have is not regenerated or revised/tested in bosch center, so there is no warranty on it.
I will anyway change it at my own expense. Better to have a happy client.
Since then i only installed about 50 kits with revised pumps and all work flawlessly.

Anyway making the cp3 work as it should with high pressures and big IQ is not so easy. I dont think many tuners achieved that.

Last edited by Macradiators.com; January 2nd, 2018 at 05:22.
Macradiators.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:34   #5
xjay1337
Veteran Member

I only know of one other big power Cp3 car that runs smoothly, other than mine.
Bobby Singh did my tuning.

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 340hp 625nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3 Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:21   #6
travis45
Veteran Member

Thanks for your responses. The thing is, I'm not running big power. I should only be around 200 horsepower with my setup.

Mac, while I appreciate the offer for a new pump and will gladly accept it, I don't believe changing the pump for a third time will make any difference unless there is something different about the Bosch reman.

Both pump 1 and pump 2 installed made pressure. It must be a controls or controls hardware issue.

Respectfully,
Travis
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:59   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

Have malone give you a stage 2 tune, then you can see if it's the tune or the hardware.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:06   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Have you tried pulling the supply hose off the filter and powering the in-tank pump? Maybe there is a restriction somewhere. I'd also make sure no fuel hoses are kinked. My stage 3 malone tune and CP3 work great together.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:24   #9
travis45
Veteran Member

Thanks. Going to check both. Tune and possible fuel restriction.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:45   #10
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

You tried 2 pumps on the car and all manifest the same problem? Then its not the pump but something else somewhere.

My runs perfectly smooth but there is room from improvement.
When i get maximum 50bars of +- arond 2200bar i will be happy. Right now is more like +80 -100
Maybe is time for Malone to test some calibrations on the pump.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 13:38   #11
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

A friend is saying that the original file i got from Mark Malone is different from european cars.

Last edited by Macradiators.com; January 2nd, 2018 at 13:42.
Macradiators.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 16:38   #12
travis45
Veteran Member

Mac can you please explain further? What does that mean?

I would expect that the stock tune for North America would be somewhat different.

Respectfully,
Travis
Old January 3rd, 2018, 23:46   #13
altz1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Allroad, A8

Looks to me you need to adjust PID map for PCV. I would test with disconnected FCA, then it has full fueling from pump side. If still its same, then PCV pid needs adjustment.
Ofc it would be nice to rule out feed problems, but i doubt there is the case.
BVN 4.2TDI project twin gtd2060vzk, 650hp goal.
altz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 18:24   #14
travis45
Veteran Member

Well, I think we can rule the tune out as the issue. Last night I took a log and the first pull had the oscillation and the rest just magically didn't. Took a log at lunch today and it is perfect.

I did a 3rd gear pull and it was a one tire fire all the way. Smooth acceleration.

I was so happy. But at the same time worried because the problem wasn't answered. Then on the ride home the oscillation returned. So at least this proves my hardware and software can work properly.

My next guess is to remove the PolarFIS and triple check all wiring connections. It has been brought to my attention that the PolarFIS could be interfering somehow. An easy check. Is anyone out there in TDI world running a common rail with a stage 3 tune and CP3 pump with a PolarFIS? How does it work?

This has been making me absolutely crazy. I will savor the triumph when this gremlin is finally defeated...

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to help me sort this out. Owain from Malone, Andrew Dreossi, Macradiators, and my local tuner Kevinski.

I kind of feel like I've got the superfriends to help me. As somebody who is wading into uncharted territory, it's great to have the support of these folks.

Let's see what happens when I pull the FIS and pull on the wires...

Respectfully,
Travis
Old January 5th, 2018, 04:00   #15
xjay1337
Veteran Member

The Polar FIS can't cause an impact.

All the Polar FIS is, is a way to interact with the onboard systems and display data.
In exactly the same way that VCDS works (that's why if you have a Polar FIS you cannot have the display pages open when you are using VCDS).

Just because you don't get rail p issues in one log doesn't mean the tune is OK.
It could be a hardware or software issue, but I can guarantee the Polar FIS is not causing an issue.

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 340hp 625nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3 Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote