upgraded OEM intake snorkle

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I'd say try Vortex but you may be stuck holding that R32 upper half for quite some time... If you didn't already have the VR6 Maf holder I'd say it's more beneficial to use the R32 MAF as it's larger anyway... Just my .02

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Yeah, but plumbing the 3.25" R32 MAF holder is harder, I'd need to mate it to a 3" OMI, which means a reducer in there somewhere... and sourcing a R32 MAF holder will be a pain.

Got my VR6 MAF holder for $35 =)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I got my VR6 airbox for $35 too! LOL I forgot you are using a OMI and not an OEM TIP. The stock PD150 flex pipe stretches over the R32 housing kinda like the 17/22 compressor outlet hose... Tight.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Ok, got the R32 lower and snorkle on today. Using the TDI upper box/maf until I have the parts for complete VR6 and 3" OMI conversion.

Battery box fit without modding, but was tight against the snorkle. The cover fit without issues, but the bracket for the relay box did not, and I broke one part of the battery box mounting point for the bracket. Oops.

The only real pain was those plastic rivets that are used to hold the lower piece into place. I had to break all of 'em, and used M8 bolts, washers and nuts to hold the R32 unit on.

Driving impressions: Seems a little bit louder, but hard to tell, because my straight exhaust is already pretty loud. Spool up is quicker.

Going to want a retune after I switch to the VR6 parts to get the most out of this.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Are you sure? Any I've taken apart have been the same. Sometimes they're very well put together and don't appear to have them.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
this vs. that

How would the DSG R32 upgrade that everyone is talking about here compare to this CAI?

This seems easier...but is there an ID improvement that I'm missing or something?

Thanks.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
hehe, been there

ibanix said:
If I could have gotten these out easier, I sure would have. Tried to figure it out for a good 15 minutes before I just decided to break 'em.
I had to rip apart the front end plastics to change the oil on my snowmobile before the snow started flying and there were similar clips all over the place. I broke most of them before I figured out how to take them apart the right way. Salvaged enough of them to put the oil pan back on but had to order a dozen or so to get the side plastics back on right.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
tivoKlr said:
How would the DSG R32 upgrade that everyone is talking about here compare to this CAI?
This seems easier...but is there an ID improvement that I'm missing or something?
Thanks.
I'd really like to see a dyno proven 8-12 hp increase on our TDI's with that CAI. I don't think I've ever seen a dyno showing that CAI's are worth anything on TDI's. On the other side, I haven't seen a dyno just from an R32 snorkel either :rolleyes: Either way, I prefer OEM. I know I can drive through puddles without worry of sucking in water and I prefer OEM filtration. Just my opinion though. :)

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
The TDI is very sensitive to air filtration - witness the issues with K&N filters and MAFs. Some users of CAIs have reported hydrolock when a cone filter has gotten sufficiently wet / under water.

Most of the guys here pushing big power are using some variant on the stock intake; ask Justin and Peter. ;)

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
It's funny, I was watching "Two Guys and a Garage" the other weekend and they visited the K&N factory. The K&N guy swore up and down they have never ever seen any proof of oil on a MAF from a K&N filter...

I think there's a few guys here who have ran up big power on a CAI of sorts though. The "trend" seems to be with OEM stuff though. I've never seen testing or logs for either side as to which is better though.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
ibanix said:
Some users of CAIs have reported hydrolock when a cone filter has gotten sufficiently wet / under water.
Having dealt with this on a motorcycle, and having dodged that bullet when my turbo let go, I think I'll stick to OEM with the drain hole in the airbox...

thanks.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Farfromovin said:
I'd really like to see a dyno proven 8-12 hp increase on our TDI's with that CAI. I don't think I've ever seen a dyno showing that CAI's are worth anything on TDI's. On the other side, I haven't seen a dyno just from an R32 snorkel either :rolleyes: Either way, I prefer OEM. I know I can drive through puddles without worry of sucking in water and I prefer OEM filtration. Just my opinion though. :)
I put on the R32 DSG snorkel with no other mods and ran before and after VAGCOM logs:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2772457

There was a small but appreciable gain noted.;)

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Edit:

I re-read portions of the thread and figured out my answer. I guess I will get a vr6 airbox and modify it or buy the euro air box and use a vr6 MAF and Lid.

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
If I had to do it over again, I would just get the R32 airbox and R32 maf holder. You can get the new euro R32 DSG airbox (top and bottom with new filter) from 1stvwparts, then just locate a used R32 maf on vortex forums. Get your re-tune and your all set. The reason for this? Well, you can either go VR6 or R32 for MAF. R32 is bigger (not much, but it is). You have to either cut up your stock TDI box or buy the entire R32 box just so the R32 snorkel fits. May as well do it right, and go full R32 the first time. I have the VR6 maf and top box with R32 everything else and would like the R32 MAF instead. Probably wouldn't be much different but if your going in there and replacing all the parts, why not go with the best upgrade possible? (all I need now is a used R32 maf since I have the upper R32 box in the garage).

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Yeah, from reading I guess the r32 is 1/4 inch bigger than a pd150 or vr6. But unless you have a custom TIP or OMI then all that is 3". So why not match the MAF holder to it?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Well, you may have a point. The R32 MAF will fit the PD150 flex pipe. It's a snug fit, but it works. I just figure with a larger opening in the airbox for the MAF and the MAF itself being bigger, it can't hurt anything. How much more flow would the R32 over the VR6 setup be? I don't know, not much I'm sure. My point though is that if your already replacing everything, I'd just get the biggest setup possible OEM wise, and that's the R32. Cost difference is negligible AFAIK.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Tbird, your running an R32 MAF? When I did the upgrade, my VR6 airbox top doesn't even have a vacuum nipple so I just vent the N75 to atmosphere with a small k/n type dry filter just in case. If I could, I'd rather use the R32 top box though... Let me know if your setup makes a lot more intake noise? Mine seems to.

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
No, I've got a VR6 MAF and top. I was planning on putting in a nipple on the top if I can get one in the morning, other wise I'll just do the same as you did. I'll let you know how it sounds hopefully by tomorrow evening :)
Tom

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
Got everything together today, except for the part under the headlight. I'll do that at the same time I install a larger side mount IC (hopefully in the next week or so) I can definetly hear the turbo a bit more, but other than that everthing else sounds the same. Still need to retune to the lager MAF housing, but I didn't really notice any extra lag and the turbo spools up quicker for sure. Feels like there is more power as well, placibo? Either way I'm happy with it except for the cheap connection from the OMI to the MAF. Hopfully get that figured soon.

SchonerGTI

TDI
VW Golf IV RTD
But how the ALH/ATD snorkle compares to the TDI150?
Since i plan to upgrade to the bigger TDI150 MAF i can only change the upper part of the airbox without removing the lower to insert the larger maf i thing but about the snorlke, is only different or the TDI150 one is bigger?

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
The snorkles on the ALH and ATD and PD150 are the same.
The MAF has got nothing to do with the snorkle.

I think you are talking about the Turbo intake pipe.