Brake warning flashes while accelerating?

anubis13

Sorry if this has beem asked before...
Yup I know it sounds strange but this is what's happening. I have a standard 2000 Golf TDI with 64000 miles and sometimes, when I accelerate hard from a stop or up hill, the word/light "BRAKE" flashes behind the spedometer and the car beeps the warning sound like three or four times then stops. It started a few weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse. I have checked the pads and they are ok. The brakes don't feel soft and continue...braking. The emerengcy brake seems normal. Anybody have an idea?
Thanks in advance and thanks for the great site for TDI info.
Kevin

sthussey

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
That would be my guess, especially if the brake fluid sensor is on the front side of the reservoir. The acceleration would push the fluid away from it.

JCD

TDI
2000 Jetta Atlantic blue
On my 2000 standard TDI....the brake light flashed and beeped when I put on the air circulating button and the air conditioner.....turned out to be a warning that the air conditioner needed to be re-charged....hard to figure?

anubis13

drrrrrrr...thanks for all your help. it seems my feeble brain couldn't link low brake fluid with flashing warning light and beeping. low brake fluid level was it. i just added a little until the local tdi guru has time for a flush/refill (or i get off my lazy ass and do it myself). again, thanks for the kick in the right direction - you guys are awesome.