Help with boost pipes

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Manual, 05 Passat
I just had the boost pipe on the passenger side pop off (05 Passat) when my wife was driving the car and had to pick her up 100mi away.

When looking at the pipe it seems to be in good shape but the clip was not connected I pushed the pipe back in and tried to get the clip in place but could not get it in place. I noticed the clip is not also installed correctly on the drivers side.

MY questions are:
Is there a trick to getting the clip on to hold the pipe in place?
Are the clips the same on both sides?
Do I need to replace the o rings on the pipes? If so what is the correct part number for them? See below.
Is there a kit that has all the boost pipes in it?
Last is this 3B0145828K the correct part number for the lower passenger side pipe?

Charge air tubing seals:

3C0-145-117 (the smaller one)
3C0-145-117-F (larger one)

Thanks for all the help.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Are you talking about the connection to the crossover pipe?

If so, the clip connection stays best if both the crossover pipe and the hose (which goes into it), along with the clip itself are completely clean of all dirt and corrosion.

If any of the above are rusty or covered in grime (common), the clip will not fully seat, and can pop off.

I have also had to file the nub on the pipe a little in order for it to have a more solid connection to the clip. The nub can get a little rounded off, which can allow the retainer clip to work its way over top of it.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
I assume it is the crossover pipe. The pipe that has the issue is the one just behind the passenger side fog light.

I will clean the pipe off and see if that helps but the issue I was having is I could not get the clip all the way to the little pin on the hard pipe that is in the bumper. I got the little hook on one side but could not get it down on the other side it was about 1cm away from connecting.

Is it just a pain to get on or will i have to remove the bumper just to re connect it?

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
You aren't trying to put the end of the clip around the pin, are you?
Yes I was. I will try it again tomorrow when I make the drive up for work.

Why the hell would VW add pins to the pipe and hooks on the end of the clip when the pins and hooks have no purpose?

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm back with a similar or same problem.

There is a whistle coming from the car on the drivers side when under boost. I believe it to be the pipes. I replaced the o-rings and retaining clips 1.5 yrs ago.

Is there anyplace to get a good aftermarket boost pipe solution? I do not want to pay $400 for the bad design that is on these cars. I would like to clamp the pipes on as my wife will be traveling for work weekly and I do not want her to get stranded 100mi away when it pops off.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Well...black abs plastic, worm gear clamps, ebay fmic and home depot/lowes rubber plumbing connectors work in a pinch. Replace those worm gear hose clamps with t bolt clamps and put the sticky side/aluminum side heat wrap and you'd have an upgraded system. Might need some silicone 90s. The only issue is adapting the turbo. I have not looked at what that would take.

Hit up Craigslist for used fmic. Isuzu npr diesels, evo's and ricer take offs. The last npr fmic i sold got 75 bucks

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I was having trouble keeping the hose from the turbo onto the crossover pipe. After seating the clip I also drilled a hole in the connection and put in a metal screw. No more problem.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Is there anyplace to get a good aftermarket boost pipe solution? I do not want to pay $400 for the bad design that is on these cars. I would like to clamp the pipes on as my wife will be traveling for work weekly and I do not want her to get stranded 100mi away when it pops off.

What brand hose did you use for the last replacement? If it was an aftermarket hose, perhaps the coupler wasn't made correctly.

I bought a 3B0145828G (without the Silencer) hose off of eBay a few years ago. It worked well, but it didn't last and ended up splitting after 2 years. I decided to buy a factory VW 3B0145828K (with the Silencer) hose. I figured if the original lasted 9 years, then spending $285 was worth the reliability for another 9 years.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have tried two different G types. The first was about $20 CAD and came from SE Asia somewhere. It split within a year. The second was from Europe (several vendors carried the same one) and cost about $60 CAD. It has been good for a couple of years now. The second one has plastic end pieces and I had to sharpen up the nubs on the bottom connector with a file to get it to hold.

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
They are the original pipes on the right side I added a collar to hold it in place. The left I removed it and replaced the oring (did this on both sides).

I will try tapping it with machine screws to hold it in place for now. I wish there was a better connection on these to begin.