CR CJAA into T1 Touareg?

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
Not sure how feesible this would be, but i'm kicking around the idea :D

One of the biggest holdups that I see is the can-bus compatibility between the CR ECU, and the Touareg's TCM.

I would have to keep it as an Auto for the wife, and I'm sure that complicates things.

I'm fairly certain that the CR cars are on on Can-Bus 2.0 where as the Toaureg is 1.6 due to the year, BUT I can swap out the TCM, cluster, and a few other modules for the T2's 2.0 modules. I'm just not familiar enough with how and what is communicated to/ from the ECU and TCM to know if it's even worth perusing.

Anyone have any insight?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The bellhousing bolt pattern is different between the 4 cylinder and the engines used in the Touareg.

Getting the CAN(s) to be happy would be another major hurdle. One possibility... newer VWs have Aisin transmissions, and all of the 6 speed units have the same sensors and shift solenoids weather they're transverse or longi. If you could find a tuner, you might be able to use the computer from a newer Tiguan or something.

-J

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
The bellhousing bolt pattern is different between the 4 cylinder and the engines used in the Touareg.

Getting the CAN(s) to be happy would be another major hurdle. One possibility... newer VWs have Aisin transmissions, and all of the 6 speed units have the same sensors and shift solenoids weather they're transverse or longi. If you could find a tuner, you might be able to use the computer from a newer Tiguan or something.

-J
Yeah I figured that it may be a different bellhousing pattern. I currently have the 4.2 V8 with some S8 cams thrown in it, but now the wife is driving it. Long distances.
And of course shes a speed demon LOL.
I got a JSW with intentions of having her drive it, but she loves her T-Reg :D

So it's either try to make it more fuel efficient, or get her into something else.

I figure that the CR would have more than enough torque for her right foot since she doesn't really take advantage of the T-Reg's upper RPM's.

Thanks for the tip on the Aisins all using the same sensors. I'll have to do some more digging before I get too crazy. The T2's TCM is the newer can-bus, but not sure if/ how it would interact with the CR ECU.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You'd probably be better off just buying a late V6 TDI. They'll tag 30 mpg on the highway from what I hear. The 8 speed trans helps.

-J