1.8T bellhousing for RWD AHU?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can tell me if this belhousing kit will work on an AHU?

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/vw-audi-1-8-litre-to-borg-warner-t5-bellhousing.html

At the bottom of the link it says it will fit 1.9 tdi's but I havent been able to ascertain if the AHU blocks use the same bellhousing pattern as the 1.8t's and ALH's.

Thank you
All the 4 cylinder inline water cooled VW engines from the 1970s through at least the Mk5 platform use the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The ALH and AHU are definitely the same.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

mopman93

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Thank you for the quick response.

Gathering bits for an AHU mated to a Ford T5z in an 86' Merkur.

mopman93

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
xr4ti.

This car uses a low pressure lift pump in the tank. Will I be able to retain the factory lift pump and install a swirl pot in the engine bay that the engine can scavenge from?

....or will I have to allow the engine to scavenge all the way back to the tank and make a new fuel pickup for it?

....will the standard gasoline lift pump and filter cooperate with diesel?

Thanks

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Chances are, since there is no fuel pressure regulator, it will just flow back to the tank if that pump is energized.

mopman93

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Are you saying that with the factory vw filter setup with normal supply and return lines, that if a small fuel pump were added to the supply side, the return would be able to handle the extra fuel that the engine does not need?

Why is there no lift pump from the factory?

Thanks

oilhammer

TDI
It will mostly likely work fine, yes. The VE TDIs do not have a lift pump from the factory because they do not need one. The mechanical suction pump in the front portion of the injection pump does that job.

However, in some high output modified applications, people DO install a lift pump, to prevent fuel starvation under very high loads.

Since there is no fuel pressure on the delivery side, the pump will just move fuel through the circuit right back to the tank. The vast majority of the fuel being [mechanically] pumped through the circuit is NOT consumed by the engine. It is just cooling and lubricating the fuel system.

If you are wanting to use the existing in tank pump, you will likely have to make it run though, as if it is NOT running, it may become a restriction in which the mechanical pump cannot over come. The other option would be to modify the pickup in such a way that the electric pump is removed, and a simple tube is attached directly to the strainer in the tank.

However, making the pump work would be helpful for priming the fuel system after any services that require opening it up, like fuel filter replacement.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There is a pressure control valve in the IP, and I think the size of the return fitting also can restrict fuel flow.

I've seen others who keep the gasser in tank pump make a fuel line loop at the IP with a restriction orifice to let any excess pressure bleed off to the return line.

-J

xcdhracer15

Veteran Member
TDI
99 audi a4 ahu, 02 dmax twin turbo
why not just use a audi/ Passat awd transmission and weld the torsen so its RWD only ??

oilhammer

TDI
why not just use a audi/ Passat awd transmission and weld the torsen so its RWD only ??

Because that output was not intended to be used for full power?

Not saying because I know, just seems like a logical question. Every time someone tries to make a RWD only Subie drift car, they blow the trans up. Of course, Subie's rear driveline parts are the same size as a Honda Rubicon's, that may be why. VAG stuff is MUCH beefier, and if the ZF/Torsen setup can handle 50% of what one of the twin turbo V6s, V8s, or W12s can dish out, it is probably sturdy enough for 100% of a 4 cyl.

Ratsoup

TDI
Niva TDI (hopefully soon)
Because that output was not intended to be used for full power?
Not saying because I know, just seems like a logical question. Every time someone tries to make a RWD only Subie drift car, they blow the trans up. Of course, Subie's rear driveline parts are the same size as a Honda Rubicon's, that may be why. VAG stuff is MUCH beefier, and if the ZF/Torsen setup can handle 50% of what one of the twin turbo V6s, V8s, or W12s can dish out, it is probably sturdy enough for 100% of a 4 cyl.
I did consider the Passat AWD transmission myself for my Niva project. Issue with that in most cases is that the rear cardan rotates in opposite direction then most RWD cardans. Therefor you would need to take the Passat's rear diff + suspension too.