daytime running light not working

Hexar

TDI
1983 Rabbit Turbo Diesel 1999 VW Jetta TDI
Hi Guys
My 99 Jetta does not seem have daytime running light, when the engine is on, and parking brake is released (all the way done), I don't have daytime running light, I have to turn the headlight on, with the switch on the left side of the dash.

My question is: is this correct? I mean, does the car have daytime running light?

If this is incorrect, how do I get it fixed? Is there a fuse for this? The wire and switch to the parking handle is connected, the other side of the wire is under the carpets so I did not get a chance to check it.

Thanks!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well you are in Canada, but I very strongly suspect that there is something wrong. Could it be someone turned them off with a VAGCOM? If so you will need someone with a VAGCOM to turn them back on.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
DRLs off? And that's a problem why? J/K.
Are you required by law to have them on?
It's possible you may have a fuse blown, or they have been (gasp!!!) intentionally disabled. This helps you keep your headlight bulbs alive longer, saves you some $$$.

Do a quick search for DRL mod and you'll see how it can be done, then check see yours and see if it can be undone. The easiest way is by bending down the DRL tab on the back of the headlight switch.

Hexar

TDI
Thanks andreigbs and Joe Meehan,
I am not sure if it is required to have daytime running light here in Canada, but seems everyone has it. :)

All the fuses are good, I did not know that you can enable/disable it by Vag-Com, I will do more search on it.

Thanks again,

soundguybob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Passat Variant
You can't disable them by Vag Com on the "older" Jetta's. My guess is that the relay has either failed or come loose, or possibly the switch on the handbrake is bad. Does the brake light turn on/ off in the dash w/ the handbrake?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Push, twist, pull? Isn't that how you pull the headlight switch out to look to see if all of the wires are connected? That's the easiest and most likely situation.

Hexar

TDI
soundguybob said:
You can't disable them by Vag Com on the "older" Jetta's. My guess is that the relay has either failed or come loose, or possibly the switch on the handbrake is bad. Does the brake light turn on/ off in the dash w/ the handbrake?
this maybe it... the brake light does not turn on in the dash when the handbrake is on... I did not know there is a light for that. :)

I will check the switch and wire.

Thanks!

Hexar

TDI
whitedog said:
Push, twist, pull? Isn't that how you pull the headlight switch out to look to see if all of the wires are connected? That's the easiest and most likely situation.
whitedog,
I just checked the switch, after reading this post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=103477&highlight=daytime+running+light

1st, my switch did not come off after the "push, twist and pull" procedure. :) mine is a 99 Jetta A3, the headlight switch and the dash light level dial are in a big block, I had to take the trim off and take the whole switch block off.

And, no, the wire is not blocked off (not with tape nor bended), so I guess there are 2 posibilities:
1. 173 relay
2. parking switch.

I will check these 2 tomorrow...

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)