A4 Vacuum hoses: size(s) and lenght?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
For future reference for anyone who finds this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=153593

Guys, pardon. Posting this so it is searchable. Some folks DO use the search function. :D

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]www.mcmaster.com[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K22[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K522[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K521[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5054K531[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.64/ft[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5119K41[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$3.61/ft[/FONT]

A3 Jetta: 3 foot of blue/red. 12 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
B4 Passat: 6 foot red/blue. 15 foot black 3mm. 5 foot black 4mm
A4 B/G/J: 10 foot of black 3 mm. 5 foot black 4mm.

With all these numbers, you will have some left over. Not a bad thing to have a little vacuum tube around.

Viton hose: 3 foot is more than you need. You will have some left over after replacing the interinjector lines and return line to the injection pump.
[/FONT]

RamMan4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
TDICADDGUY said:

Guys, pardon. Posting this so it is searchable. Some folks DO use the search function. :D

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]www.mcmaster.com[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K22[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K522[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K521[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5054K531[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.64/ft[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
Ft.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5119K41[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$3.61/ft[/FONT]

With all these numbers, you will have some left over. Not a bad thing to have a little vacuum tube around.

Viton hose: 3 foot is more than you need. You will have some left over after replacing the interinjector lines and return line to the injection pump.
[/FONT]
Or you can just click the link in my sig ;)...can't tell you how many times I've responded to someones post on this topic.

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Okay, I have been searching for bulk 3mm and 5mm vac hose as I have 4 cars that need their lines replaced as they are all factory, so I was wondering if anyone can possibly send me a link or let me know where would be a good place to go to get a decent bulk size for a decent price on the hose?

ftboomer1

TDI
2002 A4 Golf
kwalsh24 said:
Okay, I have been searching for bulk 3mm and 5mm vac hose as I have 4 cars that need their lines replaced as they are all factory, so I was wondering if anyone can possibly send me a link or let me know where would be a good place to go to get a decent bulk size for a decent price on the hose?
Use the McMaster links provided. They are a great company that ships quality products quickly. The prices are decent as well.

I just did this job with the hose specs provided in the links. It worked fine except for the viton hoses. I was originally thinking they would go between the filter and the injection pump. They are way too small for that so I will look to see if they really should be attached somewhere else. I also bought 1/2" hose for the vacuum line between the pump and the brake booster. It is smaller than that and I am about to buy the 10mm hose and try that out. In order to use the standard vacuum hose, you need an elbow fitting. The radius is too sharp to just use the hose on both ends.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
ftboomer1 said:
It worked fine except for the viton hoses. I was originally thinking they would go between the filter and the injection pump. They are way too small for that so I will look to see if they really should be attached somewhere else.
Viton hose quoted goes between the injectors. Posted for those folks that run BioD, as it tends to degrade the original rubber lines.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
So, bringing up an old subject, but it looks like the tubing here is for 3mm and 4mm inside dia., but on the idparts.com website there is 3mm and 5mm inside dia. tubing. Does the 4mm work alright, or does it crack, come off, etc?

Thanks guys!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
iwannajettatdi said:
So, bringing up an old subject, but it looks like the tubing here is for 3mm and 4mm inside dia., but on the idparts.com website there is 3mm and 5mm inside dia. tubing. Does the 4mm work alright, or does it crack, come off, etc?

Thanks guys!
Original sizes were 3.5mm and 5mm. Can't find 5mm silicone. 4mm stretches just fine without issues.

rwtags

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2000 Beetle
i order 4mm and 3mm, i forgot what one was good, but the silicon one, i think the 3mm ones will be able to squeeze onto all the fittings, the 4mm i think worked one only 2-3 lines, dont really remeber. all my lines were fraying, and hard after 6 years, hopefully silicon is better

Strider199

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf TDI New Body Style
With my hoses being over 10 years old, I thought that maybe there was a complete "KIT" out there somewhere but after reading this thread it looks like there isn't. Too bad. If there is a kit available (in Canada) does someone have the info?

guru

TDI
Jetta TDI 2000 ALH Veggie Oil
Vaccum Hoses

I bought mine 3.5mm cloth braided for $9.00/meter tax inclusive from waterloo VW(cheapest price in ontario). I could not find 5mm yet. The dealer quoted around $100.00 for 5 meters (minimum order requirement-special order). You can get the hoses from transport truck shops too like freightliner etc. :)

Strider199

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf TDI New Body Style
Thanks guru. Waterloo isn't too far at all. I'll check them out for the 3.5mm.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Per ETKA for the A4s:

3,5 X 2 (part number N 020 353 5)
350 mm from main vacuum line to a T
80 mm from a T to the N18 (black top valve)
170 mm from a T to a small check valve
45 mm from a T to the N75 (white top valve)
530 mm from a T to the vacuum canister (damper)
1000 mm from turbo to a connecting pipe
60 mm from a T to a T
180 mm from a T to N239 (change over valve)
120 mm from N239 to vacuum actuator

5 X 3 (part number N 020 282 1)
360 mm from N18 to EGR valve
50 mm from N75 to connecting pipe (going to turbo)
320 mm from N75 to fresh air line T
80 mm from N18 to fresh air line T
300 mm from air box to fresh air line T

T pieces are part number 113 201 943 B
small vacuum check valve is 046 905 291 A
connecting pipe is 06A 133 382 K

can someone please correct me if i am wrong.
there is no way that this one is a 3mm in size: (120 mm from N239 to vacuum actuator)

coming off the vacuum actuator, it definitely looks like a 4mm instead of a 3mm but looks like it states otherwise? am i correct?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The 2 sizes are 3.5mm and 5mm. Not sure where you got 3mm & 4mm from? But yes, the hose from the N239 to the actuator is 3.5mm.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just to clarify, the N239 valve is the changeover valve solenoid, AKA the anti shudder valve solenoid. It is definately 3.5mm:

Is it possible you are thinking of the N18 valve for the EGR? That one is 5mm.

Last edited:

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Just to clarify, the N239 valve is the changeover valve solenoid, AKA the anti shudder valve solenoid. It is definately 3.5mm:

Is it possible you are thinking of the N18 valve for the EGR? That one is 5mm.

ok then so the vac line going down towards the bottom end of the car (which is the longest tubing i will need to cut) is a 3mm correct? i put the 5mm on it (my mistake) and this is why the confusion. i just wonder if this 3mm vac hose will fit because it seem as if the 5mm hose fit perfectly but i was making a careless error. thanks wing for clearing it up, you never seem to fail at great clarification. thanks

also, i wanted to make sure that we are on the same page regarding the egr valve on top of the engine... it is the 5mm size correct?

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ah, ok.

The N75 & N18 valves are almost identical. They both have 5mm nipples for the vacuum hoses. The N18 valve has a 5mm hose that goes directly to the EGR valve. The N75 valve has a short 1-2" section of 5mm hose that steps down to 3.5mm for the rest of the run to the vacuum actuator on the turbo:

Here is a picture of the N75 valve (ignore the red stuff, the picture is from another thread). You can see that the 5mm hose comes off the bottom nipple of the valve and then transitions down to a 3.5mm hose:

Last edited:

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I need the line running to the brake booster. Number 8 on the vac diagram. What is the VW part number or what off the shefl hose can I use? Tried some rubber oil line and it just colapsed just like the piece someone else apparently put on there in the past...

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K22[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Red (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K522[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Blue (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5041K521[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Firm, 3 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2.5 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5041K52) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.91/ft[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5054K531[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Metric Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 4 mm Id, 8 mm Od, 2 mm Wall, Black (Same as 5054K53) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$0.64/ft[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Ft.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]5119K41[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing Firm, 1/8" Id, 1/4" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]$3.61/ft[/FONT]

[/FONT]
Just so I'm clear.... A4 Jetta TDI ,10 foot of 3.5mm & 5 foot of 5mm.

3mm & 4mm if ordering from mcmaster since it is what is available?

Anyone have experience with this place: http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=8

<edit>
I got the blue silicone lines from Boostcontroller.com the other day and installed them today. 3.5mm & 5mm worked out great. Plenty of line left over after ordering the recommended lengths. This site has a 10' minimum but I ordered enough to do two cars.

Thanks TDICADDGUY!
</edit>

Thanks,

Last edited:

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Just so I'm clear.... A4 Jetta TDI ,10 foot of 3.5mm & 5 foot of 5mm.
3mm & 4mm if ordering from mcmaster since it is what is available?
Anyone have experience with this place: http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=8
<edit>
I got the blue silicone lines from Boostcontroller.com the other day and installed them today. 3.5mm & 5mm worked out great. Plenty of line left over after ordering the recommended lengths. This site has a 10' minimum but I ordered enough to do two cars.
Thanks TDICADDGUY!
</edit>
Thanks,
You are correct in regards to ordering 3mm and 4mm from McMaster Carr although factory sizes are 3.5mm and 5mm for the A4.
It seems many have done this and ordered from MCMaster Carr, as I did, and everything hooked up well and car is healthy.
My question for anyone who can answer is... How does putting smaller ID tubing affect the vacuum (3mm instead of 3.5mm and 4mm instead of 5mm? Not trying to knitpick but was just curious...

ameyers

TDI
2001 Jetta
My question for anyone who can answer is... How does putting smaller ID tubing affect the vacuum (3mm instead of 3.5mm and 4mm instead of 5mm? Not trying to knitpick but was just curious...
I, too, am curious about this. I just hooked up all new hoses from MM-C, and everything seems fine - how does the ID affect the vacuum system?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Ok for anyone who wants to know, get like 5 metres of 3mm silicone hose off ebay and swap each part of the vac system one pipe at a time. The 3mm is stretchy and fits everything including the 5mm fittings. It is also nice and tight so no clamps needed anywhere at all. And it looks pretty lol

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey Seatman, is that silicone tube rated for use with diesel fuel? It will work fine for vacuum, but will degrade over time with exposure to diesel fuel. How long have you had it on? If its not rated for use with diesel, consider changing it out at some point. It won't happen overnight, but will eventually.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Seatman, is that silicone tube rated for use with diesel fuel? It will work fine for vacuum, but will degrade over time with exposure to diesel fuel. How long have you had it on? If its not rated for use with diesel, consider changing it out at some point. It won't happen overnight, but will eventually.

Yeh for sure, I'm still waiting on something going wrong lol. The bits I've used for fuel are swollen but don't seem to be breaking down at all yet, weird.

I pulled them off just recently too when I had the injectors redone and they were still pretty perfect albeit slightly swollen.

That's been about a year now I think but I should get something to keep in the car just in case. If only my memory was as reliable as my golf! :D

dieselvwgolf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI & 2013 Passat TDI SE
It's 3mm and 5mm go to siliconehose.com the have colors and are in Cali they ship during business hours mon-Friday just got mine. Took 2 days BTW they are half price of mc mastercar and have a .100 wall. I may try the custom silicone tubes they can make for my boost lines.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just get the 3mm stuff, it fits the 5mm fittings anyway and is nice and secure. The actual size is 3.5mm and 5mm but I've seen them just a bit on the loose side. The car originally came with clamps on all the little vac pipes too so a little bit tighter I think is a good idea.

I've only ever had the one limp mode issue and that was just the vanes needing cleaned, I think that was because my injectors were a bit out of whack though.

Fuel stuff in blue seems a bit trickier to find over here, maybe just have to give regular stuff a little blow over with some spray paint lol

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Seatman said:
The car originally came with clamps on all the little vac pipes too so a little bit tighter I think is a good idea.
The only hoses that come with clamps are the turbo and EGR. The turbo is probably because of the location under the back of the engine. Hard to reach, so a clamp ensures it stays on. The EGR clamp may be for emissions tampering prevention????

Seatman said:
Fuel stuff in blue seems a bit trickier to find over here, maybe just have to give regular stuff a little blow over with some spray paint lol
You can get coloured dress up kits. They have braided sleeves in various colours. They come with several sizes and slip over the original hoses. Fuel lines, vacuum lines, and coolant hoses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221173755266

Lots of hoses under the hood to cover if you're into that. Not a TDI, but you get the picture:

Last edited: