Advice on RC Stage II on TDI-PD

mdcclxxvi

I've been told that to run stage II on a PD engine that's otherwise stock, a boostvalve is recommended to limit the surges of overboost. Looking to see what other PDs have done to their engines to get RC2, or if anyone is just running RC2 with no other engine upgrades.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Jeff (Owner of RC) told me I could get by w/out a boost valve on my PD with RC Stage 1, but anything above that should have a BV.

--Nate

mdcclxxvi

thats what i was told too...up to stage 1+ without the BV. the BV is only like $40, and seems easy enough to install. Just looking to see what other pd drivers have.

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
The only major mod that is necessary for RC2 is a clutch. Beyond that there are several items that really let you experience the true capability of the tune. The first being a FMIC. A provent or other type of CCV filter should be used due to the increased mass air flow through the whole system. In trying to keep all the temps under control an upgraded oil cooler and free flow exhaust are nice. Deleting the EGR doesn't hurt either.

To answer your question, it is my belief that if you have an upgraded clutch Jeff will sell you RC2.

Now RC3 :) and the list above becomes mandatory along with an upgraded turbo and PD150 intake. Buying a PD150 right off the bat is looking like a cheaper solution after all the mods to get there:p .

I myself do not have a boost valve, probably should, but don't.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
When Jeff chipped me late last year, he recommended a boostvalve and gauge, and I was told the clutch may or may not be needed. (I have an '04 and installed the valve and gauge).

I'm still on the stock clutch - no slippage. The boostvalve costs maybe $40, I'd highly recommend putting one in. minimal cost in my opinion for some peace of mind.

I'm also considering what Nathan mentioned about the upgraded IC.. i've run into a couple situations where I think I put it into limp mode because the air intake charge went overtemp.. (granted that was a 20-30 second full-throttle run). Under normal driving it won't hurt you too much.. If I do the IC I'll probably do the CCV mod too.

As far as the auto transmissions or DSG, the tranny can only handle so much torque (I was hearing 250-260 ft-lb at one point).. you guys might be limited as to what you can do. if the limit is indeed 250-260 (PLEASE check on this, I'm going strictly off memory), you might be ok, as i think RC2 on a PD probably pushes 230-240. If you wait until after Saturday I can tell you exactly what mine pushes after it comes off the dyno and you can use that for reference (I have a 5-sp) :)

Last edited:

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
mdcclxxvi said:
I've been told that to run stage II on a PD engine that's otherwise stock, a boostvalve is recommended to limit the surges of overboost. Looking to see what other PDs have done to their engines to get RC2, or if anyone is just running RC2 with no other engine upgrades.
I have boost gauge and boost valve. RC2 is next.

mdcclxxvi

BlueCTTDi said:
As far as the auto transmissions or DSG, the tranny can only handle so much torque (I was hearing 250-260 ft-lb at one point).. you guys might be limited as to what you can do. if the limit is indeed 250-260 (PLEASE check on this, I'm going strictly off memory), you might be ok, as i think RC2 on a PD probably pushes 230-240. If you wait until after Saturday I can tell you exactly what mine pushes after it comes off the dyno and you can use that for reference (I have a 5-sp) :)
So does RC1+ have the same torque as RC2?

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
It's probably fairly close, but I'm not sure if they're exactly equal.. our Dyno Day is this weekend, so with any luck we'll get a few PD's with different stage tunings on the rollers to get a decent comparison...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I installed a boost guage and then noticed up to 28 PSI spikes when I really got on the throttle after a shift, so I installed a Boost Valve and spikes are limited to 22 PSI.

That's with RC 1

--Nate

squebel

Veteran Member
BlueCTTDi said:
It's probably fairly close, but I'm not sure if they're exactly equal.. our Dyno Day is this weekend, so with any luck we'll get a few PD's with different stage tunings on the rollers to get a decent comparison...
I am very curious to see what kind of numbers come off of a PD with a RC1+ chip since this looks like the program I may want to go after since a clutch upgrade is something I really don't want to mess with for a while.

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
I have an RC1 on my '04 sedan.. Really great. Like having an afterburner on hand to use as necessary. Can't imagine the day that I would need a RC2 or 3!!

(The RC1 has caused no red flags to go up when at the dealer for recalls.)

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I wish I had better news - but it looks like I might be the only PD on the rollers tomorrow..

that being said though, let's hope a PD with RC2 whoops the VE's with RC3 :D

I'm sure at some point we'll all be posting our dyno sheets.. Look for it in a few days in the Eastern forum somewhere :)

If I remember, I'll ask Jeff what the differences are between 1+ and 2 since a couple of you were asking.

-mike

Bad_Actor

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For whatever reason, Jeff only does the RC 1+ on stock, DSG equipped cars. This tune is reported to give approximately a 15 HP increase with the torque increase of the RC2 tune.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, I've heard that as well - RC2 on a PD pushes the limits of the DSG, so he's understandably hesitant to install that software.

can't say i blame him - i wouldn't want to be in any way accountable or even associated with one of those going up in smoke..

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i've had RC2 in my mk4 PD manual tranny for just about 20k miles with no clutch slippage or issues. i love it. but that being said, many have had clutch slip issues even without tuning... when people have clutch slippage issues i don't know whether it's how the person has driven it, or if there really is such a wide range of clutch quality...

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
exactly.. i haven't had one bit of slip since i got chipped, and that was a year ago tomorrow... granted, i do take a little extra care not to abuse it especially at low rpm..

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
mdcclxxvi said:
Well what if you have an tiptronic and want RC2?
For the last year or so I've run the RC1+ withought a problem. They say the Tip can handle at least 250ftlbs. I'll probably do the RC2+ upgrade in December.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i think it is specifically the DSG that is limited to 250 ft-lbs... not the regular auto-tip tranny... tiptronic mode is availabe in both the standard auto tranny and the dsg tranny...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
1776, if I had a boost valve on my PD, I would take a picture of it.

If I had problems with or without it, I would tell you.

Maybe no one has had problems with or without the Boost valve and that's why you aren't getting the information you asked for.

Or maybe I'm just cranky since Customs won't release the repair partsfor my off road only Beetle.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
unfortunately I can't give you a before and after boostvalve comparison because i got chipped and installed the valve simultaneously. that being said, the boostvalve should only be a safety mechanism anyway... at full throttle RC2 on my car pushes about 21 psi. i have the valve set at 22-23. it shouldn't have an effect on your tuning but it should help get rid of the boost spikes when you initially jump on the throttle.

other than that, not sure what info you're looking for.. feel free to pick my brain if there's something else you need to know.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
BlueCTTDi said:
Well, I wish I had better news - but it looks like I might be the only PD on the rollers tomorrow..

that being said though, let's hope a PD with RC2 whoops the VE's with RC3 :D

I'm sure at some point we'll all be posting our dyno sheets.. Look for it in a few days in the Eastern forum somewhere :)

If I remember, I'll ask Jeff what the differences are between 1+ and 2 since a couple of you were asking.

-mike
for those interested:

well, northeast DD5 came and went - for reference, IndigoBlueWagon and myself have the two PD's that dyno'ed. IBW's is an 06 Jetta (BRM engine - newer PD) with Stage 1+, I have an 04 Golf (BEW engine - original PD) with Stage 2..

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=150942

obviously, the pertinent info and dyno runs will be on the last few pages..

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
eyetdiman said:
I have an RC1 on my '04 sedan.. Really great. Like having an afterburner on hand to use as necessary. Can't imagine the day that I would need a RC2 or 3!!

(The RC1 has caused no red flags to go up when at the dealer for recalls.)
Its a nice upgrade. I had a in-tank fuel pump replaced under warranty and when I came to pick up my car, the service advisor said, "That's the fastest TDI we've had in here. What did you do to it?":):D

--Nate