Timing Belt Replacement Question

rogerpemberton

TDI
None at the moment
Hello all,

I took my 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon with 92k to a shop today to get an estimate for timing belt, tensioner, all rollers and water pump replacement. They told me that they also had to replace the valve cover because the gasket is imbedded in the cover and would be damaged after they remove it.

Does this sound right?

They also quoted me $1077 for the repairs, is that typical?

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Timing Beltt Replacement Question

The gasket is integrated into the cover, but it shouldn't have to be replaced. The main concern while removing the valve cover (to the best of my knowledge) is making sure you don't strip the allen bolts that secure it.

I have 2 TDI's that have had 4 TB changes total, never had to replace the valve cover.

WRT the cost of "repair":

The parts are ~$350 at DieselGeek. That doesn't include the valve cover, but for good reason.

Several TB gurus on this board would be happy to do it for you for ~$250 labor. So you'd save close to $500 and it would be done right.

Where are you located?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Timing Beltt Replacement Question

Buy the complete kit of parts from www.dieselgeek.com and get Robbie - goes by the name of "runonbeer" on this website to put it in. I guarantee you'll get a better job than any dealership !!!! And he lives in Austin!!! Guys up in Dallas/FW bribe him to come up and do their timing belts, and you've got him practically in your backyard !!!!

Yuri.

PS: you'll also save a bit of money, but that's not the point of this message... As for the gasket... if it's leaking, the valve cover needs to be replaced, unless you're into trying Silicone Seal (or duck tape... nah... I've been watching too many Red Green episodes...) If it's not leaking, you won't need to do a thing...