Frequently asked Questions

BORA130

TDI
Bora 130 PD , Golf tdi 90
i have a 130bhp bora tdi. is it possible to upgrade it to 150bhp using the VAG COM

turkeyssr

TDI
none; as of 12/09/06
Why not this?

For a 2003 ALH, why not simply do the EVRY MOD, then mufflerectomy, and then KERMA TDI 520s? It seems this would be the least expensive progressive route to go. What about fuel economy? It seems that no one has mentioned any loss in fuel economy with power mods, but I would think more fuel injected = worse fuel economy. :confused:

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
turkeyssr said:
For a 2003 ALH, why not simply do the EVRY MOD, then mufflerectomy, and then KERMA TDI 520s? It seems this would be the least expensive progressive route to go.
Doing nozzles, EVRY and a mufflerectomy is certainly one low-budget route, but not by any means necessarily the "best"...that's an individual decision. One could point out that EVRY simply increases fueling, without increasing boost, so nozzles and an EVRY will give you more speed and more smoke, probably negatively affecting fuel economy a bit in the process.
What about fuel economy? It seems that no one has mentioned any loss in fuel economy with power mods, but I would think more fuel injected = worse fuel economy. :confused:
Common fallacy. The engine will only inject the quantity of fuel that you need to maintain your current requested power...it's not like a gasser where you'll always get (more or less) a 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio, ergo more performance equals less fuel economy. On a TDI (and diesels in general), if you're only using 17hp, you'll only get the fuel to produce 17hp, no matter the nozzle size or ECU programming.

Actually, within certain limits, larger nozzles HELP fuel economy by squirting in the same amount of fuel in a shorter window, thus effectively advancing injection timing and potentially allowing a more complete burn. Of course, if you use the extra power that more fueling capacity makes available, you lose that benefit.

IBsurfer69

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
i've had my 2004 jetta for 2 years and havn't thought much about adding performance parts but i've finally decided to look into it. i was already planning on getting DIGI-PD (bew) and i was thinking about possibilities for the exhaust system. i looked into themufflerectomy, but didn't want to go that way. i'm looking for a less restrictive exhaust system than the stock system, hopefully a ready cat-back system that i can order and bolt on. as far as noise, i like the sound from the mufflerectomy, but is there a way to get that sound with a cat-back system?

Onebadho

04 jettas come with a Borgis weimer kkk39 turbo.. or something like that .. I dont recall off the top if my head but i know its not the vnt turbos

dolde

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon, 2004 PD
I curious if someone can give me a link to instructions on how reassemble all parts after an EGR delete project. This forum is simply toooo big:p ..:confused:

SeaFred

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Chipping 2006 Jetta TDI

I've just bought my first diesel - leftover new 2006 Jetta TDI - and love it. This is my first VW in over 40 years and it's great!

I'm concerned with blowing my 7-year warrantee. Wouldn't mind trying a chip (flash) but don't want the dealer to spot it and negate my expensive coverage. Anyone tell me how much danger there is of being "caught" and if the change is worth the price (almost $500 Canadian up here)?

Also, anyone have feedback on oil. Understand VW has its own standard for oil for this beast and I'd like to know if there are any choices. I'm not a fan of Castrol since they were caught marketing Syntax falsly as a synthetic.

Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Fred

LoveMyVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDi
u could try the Diesel Power Module from concept1 www.concept1.ca in calgary ive got this chip in my car its just a simple plug and play setup with a very notice able power increase and for the oil i have switched over to amsoil my self not too sure who else would be making 50501 oil

aggiet4's

TDI
transporter t4
Bigger turbo please

Hi im new to this site and have been searching it for days trying to discover which bigger turbo i can use,i have a 1998 transporter and i have installed a 1995 golf 1z ahu 90 bhp motor,i have .216 nozzles ready to go in. Im running the original turbo and header from the transporter which is the same turbo model as the golf engine a garrett T15, the only difference in the two turbos is that in the golf it sits beneath the header and in the transporter it sits above the header and the three bolt flange is the opposite way around,currently the engine is standard although i have fitted a front mount intercooler,built a custom 2'1/4 exhaust system and have a k&n panel filter,i have vag-com to adjust the pump once the nozzles have been installed but i want to upgrade the turbo for higher boost and greater flow,can anyone help or suggest where to look to find options or a solution to my problem?

Steve C

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Scared to buy Reman Turbo

I'm in need of a new turbo .Could someone point me in the right direction, for the purchase of a VNT-17. Is this a bolt on replacement/upgrade?? Need new turbo asap.

plljas

TDI
vw gt tdi 130
mk4 golf 130 turbo.

Hi guys / gals
:confused:
I have a GT TDI 130 with a turbo issue , what happens normally is im going about 70 in 6 gear, i put my foot down a bit and the turbo starts but then fails, i need to turn the car off then on again and then its fine it also boots later than it should around 2100 revs i thought it should boot about 1800 , i do about 350 miles a week and it might do it once or twice , is there any one that could shed some light on this for me please? i would be very gratefull, cheers guys .

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
You either have overboost or underboost issues. The oberboost is more likely. You either have a bad tune, sticky N75 valve, vacume leak or sticky vanes on your turbo. The vacume leak sounds the most likely cause if you feel its lacking in the bottom end. Check the 3.2mm ID lines from vacume pump to the N75 to the turbo first.

plljas

TDI
vw gt tdi 130
Gt tdi

Hi fella

Sounds like you know what your on about thanks for the info , I'll try and find the pipes tommorrow, I know a little around a car but soon get lost , thanks again :)

96v-dubTDI

TDI
1996 Forest green Passat 1.9TDI, 5spd, 92,000 miles.......i need to update my profile picture, it dosent show the front end mods
I am new to TDIclub and it is awesome, i have found every possible peice of info from members of this site. Two weeks ago i didnt know anything about mods for my car and now i just ordered a set of sprint 520 injectors, im pumped......"Really TDI people, seek and thou shall find!".......just ask, they dont bite

Grand-Papa

TDI
tdi 2009 comfort line
Is there a performance chip out for the 2009 tdi jetta ? If so what make, what price, where can it be installed ? Thank you for the info.

SNATCHBANDIT

TDI
One
Help

I recently bought a 2001 Jetta TDI. I have up graded the intake with an AEM intake. Now I have an check engine light? Help please?

coimbradiesel

TDI
2003 golf
I'm planning to put a diesel in an mk2 gti, what would be the best route .. the 1.6td or 1.9td... and what would be a good way to get more power out either of the two motors? thanks.

VW97JettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW97JettaTDI
does any one know what the best intake mainifold for max flow is that you can actually find in the us? is it a pd130/150 , old 89 tdi, old rabbit mani, or passat.....list goes on?

hopefully able to fit my A3 AHU and has no egr! and preferably goes to the right!

axelg

TDI
A4
I have a jetta tdi 99.5 alh. the turbo dont boost pressure i have a vaccom and read two codes 16764 glow plug heater Q6 CIRCUIT MAL FUNCTION PO 380 INTERMITENT AND 17958 CHARGE PRESSURE CONTROL DEVIATION P 1550 N 108 COLD START ENGINE. CAN YOU HELP ME?

axelg

Last edited:
TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
would PD TDI injectors work in my non PD engine? I'm thinking about getting a hybrid turbo conversion done, and somebody told me I could just save a bit of money and install a PD160 turbo and injectors to my engine and expect to reach around 190bhp with a decent map? A FMIC would probably be necessary then.

My car is a Seat Leon SE TDI, (110hp) ((i think its the same engine as in the Golfs, my engine code is ASV, so I think its equivelent is ALH?)) and Ive currently had it mapped to around 145bhp, but I want more hp! I would love to get 200bhp from my engine but I'm completly lost with what to do next. Thanks

iceguy

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Tdi
Just wondering I heard from somebody that you should let the turbo charger cool off by letting the car idle for 5 min or so after a long trip??? I have a '09 TDI Jetta. Any truth to this

peaceloveTDI

TDI
2000 bug
chip or programmer

i just bought a 2000 bug TDI 5 speed and it is really sluggush and i put a intake on it and next i want a chip or programmer but i dont know what kind is the best and for the right price any ideas?

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ASZ 130PD, Corrado 150PD in production
iceguy said:
Just wondering I heard from somebody that you should let the turbo charger cool off by letting the car idle for 5 min or so after a long trip??? I have a '09 TDI Jetta. Any truth to this
Its a good idea, Yes.

It will help prolong the life of the turbo, I only do it after i've been abusing the car a bit, most of the time I just let it idle for 20 seconds or so before I turn it off.

Diesel_Benz

Banned
TDI
Mercedes
Here is a FAQ that is missing the "A" part.
Why is discussing removal of the DPF taboo for being illegal, yet its perfectly okay to discuss removing the EGR and cat (both of which are just as illegal)?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Among the moderators there is no distinction between removal of the DPF, catalytic converter or EGR. All are illegal and will be dealt with accordingly.

However, the reality is that there are about a dozen moderators for:
Threads: 268,326, Posts: 2,887,056, Members: 77,402, Active Members: 20,825 (as of the time of this posting)

There is no damn way to catch every thread and every post about defeating emission controls and other illegal activity. We can only act on those threads and posts that are reported-in from other members and also the blatantly obvious threads that moderators catch from a cursory scan of the forums such as those entitled, "How do I delete my EGR/DPF/cat" and also posts from people with a history of trolling and argumentative behaviour on the subject.

If you have a different experience, help us do some something about it by reporting offending threads instead of b!tching about it.

robinorobino

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
ok folks.
say you had this 2000 TDI Beetle
say you had a wife with a heavy foot
say you wanted to increase the sluggish performance, but didn't want to hurt reliability, longevity and if you could help it, keep the mileage around the same...

what would you do to it?
(and please explain as you would be speaking to a 6 yr old, as i'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to diesels).

you could start by telling me what to do PRIOR to adding power enhancers...like cleaning this or that, i've read about cleaning an intake and egr, feel free to also point me to links on how to's.

thanks in advance