BHW smooth or?

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Is a BHW with the balance shaft removed as smooth as a BRM or ALH. I see comments about some vibration around 2,000 RPM. If you bore out a 1.9 ALH or BRM to 2.0 litres with BHW pistons, whats the difference?Thanks to any BHW owners who could be let me know.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
My daily is a BHW, balance shaft deleted 2005 Passat.

It does vibrate more than a pendulum mounted BRM or ALH (both of which I have owned, and several of the ALH variety), but the mount system is completely different.

Is it enough for me to install the gear driven balance shaft module I have sitting on the shelf - not yet.

Every car is different from what I can tell - some better, some worse.

For my car, I think I am in the middle of the pack - it is not what I would call smooth - it is a 4 cylinder diesel engine after all. It is not objectionable (IMHO) either.

The only time it becomes "annoying" (in quotes, because it really isn't all that bad) is in the dead of winter, and I get right on the highway into traffic that makes the engine drop into that 2000 rpm range. Once the engine mounts warm up, the transmitted vibrations reduce back to "acceptable" levels.

Feel free to come to Toronto if you want to drive my car. :D

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
i have noticed mine more at idle my cars are modded to **** so im a bad referral lol

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The Balance Shaft Module is not designed to address vibrations at idle - it is for 2nd order vibrations, which are more prevalent at higher revs.

With the mount system on the BHW in the B5, it does tend to be a bit more vibratey at idle even when stock with the BSM.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Pendulum mount

Do you think it could be the mounting. If you pendulum mounted the engine to replace my BRM then it might be the same as the BRM. The common rails are all 2.0 with out a balance shaft. To bad I had not done this a week ago. I was in Cambridge for supper. I might take you up on the offer, next time I am going to TO . Thank you.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Given that the MK6 has a mix of BSM/Non-BSM, I would say that you would be fine.

Now, the Passat engine goes back to the BSM, but it is more upscale. If it were mine, I would not worry about it...

Wait. I'm already not worrying about it. :D

Last edited:

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
I did the shaft delete on mine at same time replace engine mounts,and couldn't feel difference.it must depend on car. Mine had 105k at the time I did delete.