The dumb catch can thread...

AHouseOnFire

TDI
MK4 Jetta
So, I'm trying my best here to release gases and oil from the intercooler. I ended up buying a can that has 9/16 tubbing - I've read a lot about this and curious as to anyones experience.. I'm worried about the size of tubing and it choking down the motor. One video on Youtube said 3/4 was the only size that felt to be non-restrcitve. ECS tuning seems to be 9/16th as well.. But the TDI is such an odd animal.

Any of you guys have any tips, help, and/or experience with this.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
pull up the CDR valve, the hole in its fitting going into the valve cover is about 9/16"
the hole in your catch can's fitting is likely smaller than 9/16" though.

My current catch can is a coke bottle stuffed with fast food napkins, and a 5/8" heater hose going from the CDR (doesn't need the CDR as it isn't going into the intake any more) into the bottle past the napkins right to the bottom. The napkins condense the vapors so I don't get oil vapor on the windshield.

For a while I had a plastic breather that sticks on the oil cap hole, from a gasoline 2.0 motor in the junkyard. It was real brittle like most VW plastic gets, and it fell apart. It had a 1" hose coming off of it.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
You mean a crankcase breather?
9/16" is probably OK but I ran a 3/4" for a while.
The amount of restriction in the can filter probably matters more.

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
catch can still reduces the oil in the intake tract caused by the poorly designed CCV puck on the valve cover so its not a bad thing, just less important if EGR is deleted.

with EGR still working, the oily mist from the CCV will mix with the EGR gasses to make more of the nasty cruddy gunk that builds up in the intake.

i need to get some pics of my latest rigged up version up on here... give me a few days and i'll put it in the A3/B4 section and post a link.

its all plumbing/farm stuff found at fleetfarm because i like to repair my car with readily available hardware store junk hahaha

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Would you guys still recommend a catch can with an EGR delete kit?
main draw for me was that my engine'd been hydrolocked on oil that'd collected in the intercooler

ran fine though, with two bent rods
ymmv and all that

AHouseOnFire

TDI
MK4 Jetta
Intersting.. I just bought an EGR full delete kit along with the catch can.. I'm hoping to fully clear up the piping.. I just installed a new FMIC with all new pipes - so.. This seems to be a good start for the new motor and turbo.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...

here's my latest changes, yes i know its a plumbers nightmare, made of actual plumbing supplies... but it works well enough judging by the oil trapped in the canister every few thousand miles.

i will be rearranging it, again, when i swap turbos because i'll probably have to change the turbo inlet pipe anyway. Currently, the braided SS line is 3/4 and the rest is reduced down to 1/2.

I will switch it all to 1/2 and use a smaller canister strainer when i do it again, 5th times the charm right?

a question though, can the CCV gasses be added anywhere in the intake track or does it need to be before the turbo???

I had it vented to atmosphere for a week because i couldnt find the fitting i wanted, and it smelled of death, hot oil, and cancer so i will definitely be plumbing it back in somewhere rather than venting it out.
here it is, using choochleyman's CCV plate adapter, hydraulic hose (for heat and oil resistance) and plumbing fittings.

the "filter" is a strainer for an agricultural chemical sprayer with some steel wool inside the center for better oil condensation.