Audi A6 TDI Avant

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I currently have coverered 44000 km, with >6500 km using biodiesel. I will report any disadvantages of biodiesel as they occur.
Currently I use a HD-Diesel oil of ARAL, which has all the usual standards (including that of MAN,MB,Scania and Volvo Trucks), but is only priced around 35% of the usual oils. This oil was enough to carry my previous Lancia Delta tds (2L,90hp,182Nm,180kmh Vmax) over 120.000km without noticable wear or oil usage.

S

SkyPup

Claus - would you post some information about the type of biodiesel that you are using? Is is methylated rape seed oil or from some other source?
Biodiesel certainly is an interesting diesel fuel, I wonder if the German government allows some tax advantage for using it since it reduces air pollution so much. I would pay extra for it if I could get it, but it is not easily available where I live.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Check out this site for further information from my supplier: http://www.biodiesel.de/english.htm

The tax advantage currently makes biodiesel up to 15% cheaper than standard diesel.

I use it - as I like the TDI-concept - because it is a nice twist of technology. It provides a -at least to a good part- closed circle of CO. But I don´t think it can be THE fuel of the future, as I´ve read you have to cover whole Germany with rape-fields to provide nearly enough fuel to power all cars and trucks with it and that leaves you still without heating fuel ! IMHO biodiesel from rapeseed is something we need as we can use it in standard diesels, but there is further development to do in alternative fuels.

Claus

[This message has been edited by CFriedriszik (edited October 04, 1999).]

M

mickey

Wow. Wow! WOWEEEEE!!!!! I want that car!!! Is it a Quattro? If it is, please don't tell me. I don't want to know. (Drool. Slobber.)

-mickey

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Update:
Until now 10500kms with biodiesel.
No negative effects. Black smoke on full throttle after 100+km of lame driving nearly gone.
Smells like potato fries.
[edited]
The smell from the pump is like a mix betweeen engine oil and olive oil, therefore a vast improvement on diesel. You won´t have to vomit if you accidently step into a puddle of the stuff at the pump. [edited]

Gonna use it throughout winter, the guys say they have a winter quality usable down to -20 deg. C. That´s just the same as our winter diesel, which stays liquid even at nights of > -30 deg. C.
Car parks outside half of the time.
Here´s more info to download: http://www.biodiesel.de/1999_11_d.pdf

Will keep you informed of any gelling problems.

[This message has been edited by CFriedriszik (edited December 15, 1999).]

JeffT

Veteran Member
CFriedriszik, Hi!

You have a beautiful car there. I'd love a car like that!

I have some questions out of curosity:

Have you noticed whether the biodiesel stuff is more viscous?? Does it have more lubricity? What type of odor does it have at the pump, out the exhaust?

Thank you

TwoSlick

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Audi TT Roadster, 1990 Audi 100
Claus,

You just post this stuff to hurt us, don't you???? You know we never get the really good VW/Audi hardware in the US of A ....We may get the Passat TDI again ...eventually. Hopefully with the 110 hp engine?

[This message has been edited by TwoSlick (edited December 21, 1999).]

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
TwoSlick, not likely. The 110 hp TDI isn't as clean as the 90 hp TDI. If we do finally get a Passat TDI in North America, it will more likely get some variation of the 115 hp Pumpe-Duese, or possibly the 2.5 liter TDI.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Update:
now 15.600km on Biodiesel
A little bit of white smoke on cold days at startup, engine needs 1/3 longer to catch.

Biggest problem might be a possible dilution of the engine oil with biodiesel. I have to check this out and have written an email to Audi AG whether they experienced the same (usually should only happen at light load on the engine, which is true this year). I will change my oil after 3000km and try to get an oil sample tested. I do not want to ruin my engine by diluted oil or avoid the problem by driving all day like a madman. http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/000322.html
This would render the savings on biodiesel useless anyway.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Claus:

Does your bio-diesel smell like vegatable oil or french fries, like my SoyShield bio-diesel additive does?

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver / Gray
Tuned for MPG

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
It has a light smell of french fries (well done), but that doesn´t bother and nobody smells that when doing above 20km/h anyway.
In the car you can only smell it if you start up and reverse into the light grey exhaust smoke (only on startup !). In contrast, there is a lot less black smoke when accelerating hard after some 100kms of conservative driving.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Update:
Still no reaction of UFOP regarding oil analysis, but

I found out what the two belts (front and rear) drive:
The front belt drives the camshaft, the alternator and the water pump
The rear belt drives the fuel pump

BINGO ! - I am pretty sure now that the 120.000km interval for changing both belts is on the safe side - and if ever there may be a torn belt, let´s hope it is the rear one.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Claus, 120,000km is a long time for a timing belt. If it was my car I would change it at 80,000km.

In fact I would be tempted to change the front one at 80,000km, but leave the rear one, as it won´t damage anything if it does break.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon (variant))
See my Peugeot / Passat site

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Update:
Will send the oil analysis kit in the next week. For several 1000kms (since last oilchange) now on standard diesel. Will make an analysis before switching again.

Here is another picture containing my TDI - let´s call it "Family Values"

The others are gassers, though.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Some time ago I installed a coathanger from the Sharan: http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum19/HTML/000114.html
Following fellow member´s martink I polished the exhaust tips, too. Hope it stays that way - Well, we will see after the next winter ...

I did add a TT Alloy Shiftknob several months after purchasing the car. Even has a fitting 6-speed-scheme !

[This message has been edited by CFriedriszik (edited August 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by CFriedriszik (edited September 06, 2000).]

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Claus, my wife's GLI/GTX is Tornado Rot also. Your car is much better looking in that the oxidation does not appear to have affected your paint as much as her's. Still, when it's buffed out, there's no red that can beat it!
Thanks for sharing your pics!

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Thank you, Norman. As I said in the page you came from, the car is 9,4 years old now. Pretty good colour, that red. The car has some little spots (4) of rust, but 50% was caused by us ... only 92.oookm so far.

The colour is called Tornadored in that year - we had a A2 Jetta before that was Marsred (hue shifted a little more into orange). Too bad I cannot polish that one - I guess everybody´s eyes would pop out.

I am planning to do a page on my site about car detailing. I want to use mostly household stuff where it is as good as the specialized, expensive stuff.