Stereo Install

MXrider19

TDI
Black Jetta MkIV
Im sure a lot of you know, the stock, non-monsoon stereo in the VWs is pretty lame. I have plans for an aftermarket head unit. I know what I want to put in, and I know I do not want to cut into the stock harness. I left the old unit out as it totally died when I pulled the entire dash to change and evaporator (PITA!) so I have the stock harness just dangling out of the radio slot.

What have you guys out there done for a harness, and for dash kits? I did an install on my sisters nissan 200sx and that was very straightforward with the metra harness and dash kit. But I know the VW is not that easy. Especially with the K-line/canbus. I know that if I end up shorting it to ground because I don't know what is going on, it can ruin Vag-com cables, and piss off some other modules. Where do you guys suggest harness' from? Dash kit? Do I even need a dash kit?

Thanks ahead of time.

MXrider19

TDI
Black Jetta MkIV
I also plan on replacing all of the speakers, not including the tweeters. What kinds of suggestions do you guys have there?

LionelHutz: Crutchfield is great. I read somewhere that when you do an instal you have to move one of the pins in order to keep the K-line happy. Does anyone know if you have to do this with a metra harness?

LionelHutz

TDI
Jetta MK4
I've replaced my head unit twice and used the Crutchfield-supplied harness adapters and had to change NOTHING when doing this. Unplug stock unit, plug adapter into harness, plug radio in, life is good. The only semi-complicated thing I had to do was fish a power line around the steering column to tap power from a fuse.

MXrider19

TDI
Black Jetta MkIV
So no dash kit/install kit? A single din radio will fit right in?
I have no issue running a new hot lead.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
First, it helps to know what kind of radio you have.

single-din = K-line
double-din = CANBUS

existing metra harness won't have the connections for the K-line or CAN+/-

the main thing for the install of the radio into the cage, is that the radio needs to have its own mounting sleeve so that the sleeve can be installed into the plastic radio cage in the dash.

MXrider19

TDI
Black Jetta MkIV
OK. So when you mention the one that I have, you are referring to the stock radio correct? I have the stock single din radio. As to what I want to put in is also a single din.

Now are the terms "K-line" and "CANBUS" interchangeable? Or is there a difference between the two?

I am planning on buying the radio new, so it will have the sleeve I believe you are talking about. But these sleeves will fit directly into the dash without any aftermarket kits?

And as far as connections for the K line, do you simply tie it off? Maybe just wire nut it off?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Yes, stock radio

Can bus is missing the ACC and ILL leads for the aftermarket radio

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

MXrider19

TDI
Black Jetta MkIV
So, bringing up an old thread:
I have finally gotten around to getting a radio and a harness. Now, if I do not need the stereo to dim with the lights, I need not do anything with that.

As I said, I have a 99.5 mk4 jetta, so it is a K line instead of canbus. Now This link (http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/VW/PDF/890001.pdf) page 7 says that Position "L" is the switched 12v. BUT Ross-tech says that position is the K-line. Do i need to run a whole new switched 12v line? (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html) I trust ross tech more than the other.

Finally, I have an antenna adapter to fit the new radio. Obviously the cars have the amplified antennas. Where should i draw power from for this? Do i need to pull power off the antenna amp turn on off the harness and bypass the radio? Or do I pull my power off the "Power control wire" off the back of the head unit? I have my ground, 12v constant, and my speakers wired as they should be already.

Help is greatly needed and appreciated.