04 jetta tdi rough idle on start up and wont start for several seconds in the morning

Irishfan1

TDI
2004 jetta tdi/00 new bug TDI
I got a check engine code for engine rpm and I also have a rough idle on startup. I just got the car and have read some things about flashing the ecu or upgrading the ecu. Any suggestions.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Just off hand I would look to see if there is a leak in the fuel system (pump hoses etc.)

Do you have the actual code? If so could you post it as a reply to your original message?

Irishfan1

TDI
PO726 was the code. My rpm is around 800 and isn't erratic or nothing. When you first start the car it feels like alot of vibration from the motor though.

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
That is an OBD-II code for "Engine Speed Inp.Circ. Range/Performance". According to Bentley, that's equivalent to code 17110. Interesting that neither of those codes is on the Ross-Tech Wiki. Was it scanned with a VAG tool, or just a generic OBD scanner?

Irishfan1

TDI
it was scanned with an mac tools obd tester. When I first turn the key to the run position i hear a squeal noise for just a few seconds. Is this the lift pump. Where do you get the VAG tool at to scan?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
PO726 was the code. My rpm is around 800 and isn't erratic or nothing. When you first start the car it feels like alot of vibration from the motor though.
I would first check the engine speed sensor and possibly replace it if not too expensive. If replacing it does not solve the issue, I would check wiring continuity back to the ECU.

--Nate