New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Lee_Taylor said:
I don't know about Germany, but they certainly knock out quite a few in Poland....
That is certainly where the engine in my '06 Jetta was built. Engine from Poland and final vehicle assembly in Mexico.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
If BMW can open a plant in Spartanburg SC, and ship their product all over the world from there, without any apparent loss of BMW level quality, I am confident that VW will achieve the same goals with their new factory in TN.

If Spartanburg's experience is anything to go by, go buy real estate within 10 miles of the new factory. the GSP area has boomed since BMW came on board.

GSP = Greenville-Spartantburg

All BMW drivetrains are imported from Germany. I would expect that VW will follow their current Mexican practices.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
LRTDI said:
If BMW can open a plant in Spartanburg SC, and ship their product all over the world from there, without any apparent loss of BMW level quality, I am confident that VW will achieve the same goals with their new factory in TN.

If Spartanburg's experience is anything to go by, go buy real estate within 10 miles of the new factory. the GSP area has boomed since BMW came on board.

GSP = Greenville-Spartantburg

All BMW drivetrains are imported from Germany. I would expect that VW will follow their current Mexican practices.
When Mercedes launched the M-class SUV in Alabama, it was a nightmare, with quality issues that lingered for years.

Snoozer

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
VW in South Africa makes 2.5 litre TDI engines and they are shipped everywhere else. That size engine is used in Eurovan-sized vehicles, however. As far as I know. Anymore, a part may be built anywhere that expertise and efficiency have been developed.

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
TDI engines are being built in Poland.

Mine 2006 Jetta TDI engine was manufactured there. They put a sticker on the car about it.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
TomB said:
I am pretty sure all the TDI engines are produced in Germany. All 4 of mine have been. Don't see why they would move production of the engine to the US.

As long as they produce a midsize like the Passat, NOT the CC with it's stupid 4 seater design with the TDI, I will buy it.

It better be a step up from the Jetta in terms of amenities and features or there is no reason to buy over the Jetta.
Wrong:
I was visiting my dealer and checked out a new Golf TDI on the showroom floor. The sticker said the motor was assembled in Hungary the trannie in Germany....

My Mexican Jetta TDI's sticker says. Engine: Germany, Trannie: Germany.

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
frugality said:
When Mercedes launched the M-class SUV in Alabama, it was a nightmare, with quality issues that lingered for years.
They're still lingering, but the key word in your statement was "Mercedes". With the way their corporate structure was and has been changing the problems should be expected.

I think VW will do quite well in Chattanooga.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
03 TDI sez from all over dah place!! To wit, engine is/was from Germany. 5 spd manual transmission is/was from Argentina. Final assembly point Puebla, Mexico. 8 percent of the parts are from US/CN.

09 TDI sez: engine is from Germany. DSG is from Germany. Final assembly point (still) Puebla, Mexico. USA/CN gained a whopping 12.5% in parts content, now @ 9%.

I do NOT know this to be true, but pre DPF days 2007/2008, I read that VW was going to get parts from NY state for the DPF.

Last edited:

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
ruking said:
03 TDI sez from all over dah place!! To wit, engine is/was from Germany. 5 spd manual transmission is/was from Argentina. Final assembly point Puebla, Mexico. 8 percent of the parts are from US/CN.
My 03 Golf finally assembly point was Brazil not Mexico. Difference between Jetta and Golf perhaps??

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I would think so , as it does make a certain amount of sense to concentrate the "expertise".

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
GTIDan said:
Am I the only one whose getting tired of reading about HPFP problems? What problems? No dealer I've spoke with has a clue what your talking about?
Jeez guys, unless you can show proof there is a problem (not your buddies, buddies tdi broke down crap) give it a rest.
No HPFP failures, you say? Dealers unaware, say you? Seriously?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280693

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I think GTIDan was referring to the dealer HE spoke to. I got the same answer from the dealer I spoke to. Both of us are from SoCal and the diesel fuel quality is high. It also rarely rains or snows here, so water contamination is not a big problem.

I have yet to read about an HPFP failure in SoCal. The ones I read about are from other parts of the country.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure I saw anything in the OP to indicate they will be selling this new midsize sedan in the US with a diesel. It just says they will be building it here and it will be available (somewhere) with a TDI.

It wouldn't be the first time someone built a car in the US, dropped a diesel in it, and promptly shipped it across the Atlantic.

Snoozer

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
While the VW TDI website did not specifically state that the NMS would be available in the US with a TDI, the press release was certainly directed at a US audience. It doesn't seem like good business practice to purposely dangle the prospect of a diesel powerplant in front of the target audience (people interested in TDIs) and then not deliver. Just my $.02

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
nj1266 said:
I think GTIDan was referring to the dealer HE spoke to. I got the same answer from the dealer I spoke to. Both of us are from SoCal and the diesel fuel quality is high. It also rarely rains or snows here, so water contamination is not a big problem.

I have yet to read about an HPFP failure in SoCal. The ones I read about are from other parts of the country.
You are correct; I've only spoken to two dealers both of which are located in Orange county, California and neither has had any issues with the HPFP (2009/10 models)

bthorpe

TDI
Jetti 06 DSG transmission
Jetta 06 Dual Mass Flywheel with DSG Transmission (6spd Auto)

The DMF is a Dual Mass Flywheel. The advantage of a DMF is smoother power delivery and less noise, vibration, harshness. But because it's two parts instead of one, it can fail, and has failed at higher than expected rates on DSG. A slipping belt chrip, soft grinding, or metalllic rattling at idle noise may be indicative of failing DMF. There is something about early DMF flywheels on the VW DSG that has proven to be not durable. A few DMF even liberated themselves from the transmission with spectacular results and as a result, all newer DMF were redesigned (new part is VW # 03g 105 255be, for DSG) and should fix this issue. Cars equipped with the old part are mostly out of warranty. DMF were actually recalled in Australia but not in the US so if you have a problem, report it to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffice Safety Administration) and maybe something might happen.

If anyone has experienced an issue with the DMF flywheel, I would like to hear from you.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
DickSilver said:
VW in South Africa makes 2.5 litre TDI engines and they are shipped everywhere else. That size engine is used in Eurovan-sized vehicles, however. As far as I know. Anymore, a part may be built anywhere that expertise and efficiency have been developed.
Wouldn't it be sweet if they (VW) would import the Amarok from S. America since that is where they are building it. Geeeez I wonder how many thousands they would sell. Maybe its just me but with the gas prices getting ready to shoot thru the ceiling I just can't imagine VW passing this up....but then again VW is very good about snatching failure from the jaws of success and costing thereselves a ton of money...

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Scant news, but a picture is emerging...

There is very little real info out there on the new VW from Chatanooga. Magna Seating has apparently secured a contract for making some components (seats, and it's other subsidiaries, probably much more). Here is better info on this news from American Machinist.

Car and Driver has those photos of the new midsize sketches (mostly photos of existing Passat and CC models), but no more real information. They talk about VW reducing costs and making it bigger than Passat or CC. "but retaining that german autobahn feeling". Somehow, I am skeptical. Bigger? That is fine if you are not looking for a much more efficient Polo with a 1.6L 60mpg. If these plans are to be followed...once again, the Golf and Jetta TDIs remain the most sensible VWs that we will have available (unless you want something bigger and less efficient).

Of course, Fiat will bring the 500 here by the time the new car from Chatanooga rolls out. Nice looking little car with a nice little high performance engine. That will give the expensive Smart and Mini cars a good run for sales! Not for me, but I look forward to seeing them!

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
snoopis said:
Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure I saw anything in the OP to indicate they will be selling this new midsize sedan in the US with a diesel. It just says they will be building it here and it will be available (somewhere) with a TDI. It wouldn't be the first time someone built a car in the US, dropped a diesel in it, and promptly shipped it across the Atlantic.
I have an email from VW's PR director, Steve Keyes, in which he said the NMS will be available with the TDI in Fall 2011, and the new MkVI Jetta TDI will be introduced this Fall.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
domboy said:
My 03 Golf finally assembly point was Brazil not Mexico. Difference between Jetta and Golf perhaps??
Golf are built in Brazil or Germany.

Transmissions come from Germany or Brazil. It all depends on the car, the year and the trans type so lets knock this bickering off on where it was made. It really does not matter.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jimmybling31 said:
i'm looking forward to vw in chattanooga. it will be a good thing for our economy.
If BMW's presence in the GSP area of SC is anything to go by, it will be a hugely positive economic effect in your area.

But BMW exports vehicles to the world from SC, will VW export from TN to the ROW or keep the production in North America? If the latter, the plant will be more affected by regional economic changes than a plant that exports to the ROW

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
GTIDan said:
......No dealer I've spoke with has a clue what your talking about?
LOL that's one of the funnest things I've read. Yea, not one of the 3 dealer in my area had heard anything about DMF failures when mine started to fail.
So it must not have happened right?

Oh wait, that's right took over a year for the TSB to come out.

You must be new to VWs, the dealer is the last place to go for actual knowledge on a VW.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
VW exporting from US?

LRTDI said:
If BMW's presence in the GSP area of SC is anything to go by, it will be a hugely positive economic effect in your area.
But BMW exports vehicles to the world from SC, will VW export from TN to the ROW or keep the production in North America? If the latter, the plant will be more affected by regional economic changes than a plant that exports to the ROW

I think it is very unlikely that VW will use relatively expensive American labor to produce a vehicle for anywhere except the North American market (it is not just hourly wage, but health insurance costs). Import quotas seem like the primary reason for domestic assembly, but the bigger picture includes a few more reasons why the Chattanooga plant will supply North American market only (maybe Canada, probably not Mexico).

VW does not charge a premium for their cars (not as much as BMW does, anyway), and shipping costs are significant to to get to other continents. SUVs don't sell that well in other markets, but midsized cars are again becoming the big deal in US (SUVs losing ground), so Honda makes Accord here. Toyota and Subaru actually make Camry and Legacy sedan in the same plant! These assembly lines don't contribute to the import quota. VW is just catching up with those other automakers on NA assembly.

As far as TDI is concerned, no other market needs to meet the cleaner particulates standard, which has an impact on fuel economy and production cost (not sensible to sell it elsewhere). TDI production is all ready established on other continents anyway. The engines are built elsewhere, so the additional customization needed to meet CARB is apparently implemented in final assembly anyway. But based on recent announcements, VW might be shifting away from TDI in the American market (hybrid, electric).

If VW can export a car from Chattanooga to anywhere and still make money on it, I would be very very surprised.

It must be a pretty tight margin getting Golf TDI here from Germany. I suspect that they need the market presence, so they are allowing us to buy it. The Golf is a very impressive looking little car, and it adds to VW's North American footprint. We are lucky to have access to the Golf TDI.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
dubStrom said:
I think it is very unlikely that VW will use relatively expensive American labor to produce a vehicle for anywhere except the North American market (it is not just hourly wage, but health insurance costs). Import quotas seem like the primary reason for domestic assembly, but the bigger picture includes a few more reasons why the Chattanooga plant will supply North American market only (maybe Canada, probably not Mexico).

VW does not charge a premium for their cars (not as much as BMW does, anyway), and shipping costs are significant to to get to other continents. SUVs don't sell that well in other markets, but midsized cars are again becoming the big deal in US (SUVs losing ground), so Honda makes Accord here. Toyota and Subaru actually make Camry and Legacy sedan in the same plant! These assembly lines don't contribute to the import quota. VW is just catching up with those other automakers on NA assembly.

If VW can export a car from Chattanooga to anywhere and still make money on it, I would be very very surprised.

It must be a pretty tight margin getting Golf TDI here from Germany. I suspect that they need the market presence, so they are allowing us to buy it. The Golf is a very impressive looking little car, and it adds to VW's North American footprint. We are lucky to have access to the Golf TDI.
In comparison to EEC, the US is a very CHEAP labor market. US made cars sold in EEC for example commonly sell for a far higher price than in the US. Go check Jeeps, Chryslers and look for yourself.

The BMW plant is the sole worldwide production location for the X5, X6 and the new X3 that will be introduced shortly. BMW ships all engines etc to SC from Germany then exports the car with these same engines installed. So there are many BMWs out there whose engines have travelled from Germany to the US and back again, before seeing a dealership.

As for Honda, Honda builds the Civic, Accord (all variants) Pilot, MDX, Odyssey in the US.

SC TDI Sales Lady

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
VW Statement Strong for the US Market

Great News about the mid-size sedan being made in TN. The statement that VW is making in :) in the US Auto market is wonderful statement for what is to come from VW in the near future. The make and sell more cars than anyone else in the WORLD. Only the best is yet to come for the VW Family. Many thanks, for the great cars to come from TN.