is it possible i am not tuned?

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I had some complications with obdII port tuning to malone stage 2 with a flashzilla...

I tried to flash it and even with my polar fis off, it still fried the polar box... I had to pull my ecu and send it in as i was half way through the tune when the polar fis box shorted, when I got it back and installed it, still had trouble because I was unaware the polar fis box had burned up and had all sorts of lights and the car still wouldn't run.

after the removal of polar fis (they granted their warranty with a repair btw) the car ran fine...

it seems to pull nicely from 70-90mph but because of the added down time I was unsure of a difference vs stock.

I only ask because I thought the difference would be night and day but quite frankly idk if its a placebo effect and I am just demanding more out of the car or if I truly wont feel it until I go with the stage 2 w/ delete.

Is there any way for me to see any numbers on VCDS to confirm I am or am not tuned?

*edited to add* my mpg has been ~38 w/ and w/o the tune

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Logging requested and actual boost values should tell you something. Your boost and fueling maps would be different with a tune, so your maximum boost should be higher. However, I do not know what stock values should be, so I don't know what they should be higher than. You might have to compare it to another Passat or to someone else's numbers to see if your tune got correctly loaded.

Have Fun!

Don

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
with my Malone Stg2 I noticed it immediately when pulling out of the shop, it no longer hesitated and just went.. a few things may have made this more dramatic for me, high altitude + 6MT but it was impossible to ignore how much better it took off from a stop.

now my butt dyno noticed but the power differences was not night and day, someone with a stock car could drive mine without noticing it.. the biggest change is the powerband was extended and it dont start falling so quickly, allowing you to hold on longer and shift back into power.. if you level out on power @ 3500rpm then your stock, if you are pulling all the way up to 4k you are Stage2

My MPG is definitely better but that took time to realize as those first tanks the ecu is having to re-adapt while the driver has an unusually heavy foot..

Last edited:

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Do you remember what you were peaking at before you tried to do the tune?

Have Fun!

Don

I believe 26psi... maybe I'll pull my polar fis and try and throw stage 2 on it again.

I wouldn't say it pulls to 4k. the only time I think I feel it is on 6th gear going from 70 to 90mph

jealous that you have the 6mt

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Since you have a Polar FIS+, you could also monitor torque. This would be a dead give-away for a tune. In 2nd or 3rd gear press the pedal all the way down (without pressing the downshift button). Peak torque anywhere near 236 ft-lb (often lower) would indicate stock maps. A good tune should show well over 250 (maybe closer to 300) lb-ft peak torque. I have a different engine with a different ECU (mine doesn't report boost over about 23.5 psi - 1.6 Bar), but my Polar FIS does report over 300 ft-lbs of torque on occasion.:)

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission. However, I am getting old, I think that I could live with a DSG sometime in the future.

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
i was under the impression that that would only go to stock highs unless tweaked in settings to the added bias of a tune, going to head out and see what i get right now!!

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
it dont pull hard to 4k, looking at dyno sheet it starts to fall right after there.. but with stock tune I seem to recall by 4k it was anemic.. forcing me to shift 3200-3500, now it'll glide right past my old shift points with plenty of power left to unwind if needed.

with a dsg it could be tricky to notice as your not as in touch with the powerband as us manual owners would be.. but the without a doubt factor is towing the same 1200lb load went from 35mpg to 40mpg at the same speeds.

iirc the boost levels were entirely unchanged, the turbo cant really put out any more boost.. it was all fueling, you might be expecting more boost and thats often night/day, but this is more subtle.

Last edited: