Felt Cover vs Plastic Battery Holder

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
My '15 Passat has the felt one. My '06 Jetta had the good ole plastic one. I see where you can get the genuine VW battery kit as an replacement. ECS Tuning has them for for around $65.00.
I really like the looks of the plastic one. Is this strictly a cosmetic issue? I have read a thread here where a members battery went poof and made a mess, although that is very rare. Has anyone swapped theirs out?

BigJimmy428

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The foam one that is on there is to insulate it from the temperatures under the hood. A plastic one would lose a lot of that R factor.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I got the plastic one for my 14' Passat from Ebay cheaper than $65

Cut the lid off the felt and now the battery is wrapped in felt, but the plastic on the outside.

Looks much better, keeps the felt dry and not sure what else to say :p

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Cut the lid off the felt and now the battery is wrapped in felt, but the plastic on the outside.
Great suggestion! Best of both worlds.
I did check Ebay, but they seemed to only have the "top" piece. fwiw It you ever add something to your wish list as ECS, you will get an email if the price drops.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat EA288. Can anyone verify if there is an external battery temperature sensor? I was sizing up the battery box upgrade and on the side of the battery that has the hold down bolt (right side driver seat orientation) there appears to be some sort of sensor on the side of the battery?
It had two electrical leads going to it and appeared to fixed by a bracket holding it next to the battery. May have been a void in the felt where this was. I did not get more into it other than looking. Just thinking that parm would be something the ecu could use.
Can anyone verify?

sammyg

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
If you are trying to say the swap won't work because of a sensor I had no issues doing the swap on my 13 but it is quite tight with the terminal wires in the plastic box. Looks a helluva lot better though.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The foam one that is on there is to insulate it from the temperatures under the hood. A plastic one would lose a lot of that R factor.
Foam? I thought the battery cover on the NMS Passat was a felt material.

I had a 2002 Jetta and the foam that was on the engine cover disintegrated over time. I wonder how long the felt battery cover will last on the NMS Passat? Since it should be a felt material should hold up better than foam.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are trying to say the swap won't work because of a sensor I had no issues doing the swap on my 13 but it is quite tight with the terminal wires in the plastic box. Looks a helluva lot better though.
Thanks... I have the battery box on order from ECS tuning. Figured If needed I could make it work somehow. I plan on keeping the felt in place while still using the box. Anyhow, when I get the battery out I'll know more. May have to take a hole saw and drill round opening for the probe. We'll see.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
my plastic mod looks better than stock and worked like a charm

I just removed the stupid felt liner and tossed it. Batteries are plastic . :p

Good luck with your mod.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks... I have the battery box on order from ECS tuning. Figured If needed I could make it work somehow. I plan on keeping the felt in place while still using the box. Anyhow, when I get the battery out I'll know more. May have to take a hole saw and drill round opening for the probe. We'll see.
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/312277_x800.jpg
Here's the battery box directly from ECS (always helps to link to the product for those that search in the future):
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Engine/Electrical/Battery/ES2580778/

Night Blue 15 Passat

TDI
2015 Passat TDI DSG SEL
I received the battery box I ordered from China last winter. Today I finally decided to fit it on my '15 Passat with the EA288. The box is certainly not designed to fit this battery, at least not the US model. There is a cutout in the inboard side for "a" battery hold-down, but not for this one. There is what must be a new battery hold-down that includes a vertical section that holds the connectors that sohccammer427 mentions. This bracket makes fitting the battery box impossible without cutting out about a third of the inboard side.

I'll probably put it in the wife's '13 2.5 SE, instead of cutting it up to fit in the '15.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I'm considering doing this to my car. Any chance of some after photos?

Anyone else doing this modification? A few DYI type photos with captions on how you did it would be greatly appreciated.

:)

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
I'm considering doing this to my car. Any chance of some after photos?

Anyone else doing this modification? A few DYI type photos with captions on how you did it would be greatly appreciated.

Seriously this is the easiest mod ever. And for the record they can be found on eBay for under $25!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271935689196

Remove the battery and the cloth liner. The plastic box come in three pieces: front back and top. I put in the back, then the front, then fit the battery in. I had to loosen the nut that holds the negative cable to the engine bay so I could adjust where it sat. Then connected the battery and put the top on. Takes less than 10 mins total.

Here's some photos:

Battery and cloth box out:

Back section in:

Front section in:

Battery in & connected:

Top on:

Josh

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Nice! These are the details I was looking for.

Plastic covers snaps onto the bottom tray and ground cable needs to be rotated a bit to make it fit. Simple.

Thank you.