Its -20F Out, Whats the coldest temp you've started your NMS Passat?

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I'd like to know how the guys out west last week made out.

With temps ranging anywhere from -35C to -40C or colder, I'm thinking that they'd have a bit more of an issue than anyone that has posted in this thread so far.

Regards

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
I'd like to know how the guys out west last week made out.
With temps ranging anywhere from -35C to -40C or colder, I'm thinking that they'd have a bit more of an issue than anyone that has posted in this thread so far.
Regards
2 weeks ago, I was on a family trip in Rouyn-Noranda, -52C.

Unfortunately, my car was plugged all night so I can't say it was a hard start. In fact, it started just like if it was summer. When I'm outside of the city, I always plug my car during winter nights, I don't take any chances.

As soon as temp drops here in Montreal (right now 4C), I'll take a video at -20C or something without plugging the heater during the night.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
2 weeks ago, I was on a family trip in Rouyn-Noranda, -52C.
Unfortunately, my car was plugged all night so I can't say it was a hard start. In fact, it started just like if it was summer. When I'm outside of the city, I always plug my car during winter nights, I don't take any chances.
As soon as temp drops here in Montreal (right now 4C), I'll take a video at -20C or something without plugging the heater during the night.
Yeah, we hit -30C but I left the car plugged in. Mind you after I got to work and left in the cold for about 6 hours, it started up like normal. No issues at all.

Regards

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Hmm.. Interesting. I wonder if cars destined for Canada have a different AdBlue system? It doesn't seem that many of out neighbors to the north have had many AdBlue issues in extremely cold temperatures.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Hmm.. Interesting. I wonder if cars destined for Canada have a different AdBlue system? It doesn't seem that many of out neighbors to the north have had many AdBlue issues in extremely cold temperatures.
I'm pretty sure mine froze on a highway trip. It's described in the AdBlue thread. Getting the CEL looked at tomorrow and I'll get the codes.

Regards

Spyke

TDI
Dont know if its the different or not but I know the Adblue system is heated as soon as the ignition is on and the same for for the diesel fuel system (dont know if its only the fuel filter or the fuel line that is heated)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I am very impressed! It wasn't long ago when diesels started like that when temps were 15 above! Here is my old Dodge diesel with a single short pre heating at 17F, plus I didn't double glow at .45 just to see if I could get it fired up. kind of fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35ID9WnNjo

Spyke

TDI
Here is the video of this morning start up for my 2013 TDI Kessey.

I didn't plug the car overnight and the temperature dropped to -34C during the night. It was -21C in the video.

Yamaguy, My car started the first time while yours is struggling, I don't think its normal.

VeeDubTDI, you were right about the glow plug cycle...it last for 3-5 seconds. When waiting at -20C for the end of the glow plug cycle it feels like those 5 seconds lasts forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFeJvxQ4sxY&feature=youtu.be

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nice! It started right up! :cool:

Timing it in your video, the dings are spaced 1 second apart and the glow cycle lasts for 3 dings (I have never seen more than that on a Passat), so... 3 seconds. Those high speed ceramic glow plugs are impressive.

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
Last week in Connecticut I had to start my 2012 Passat TDI SEL when it was -8°. It turned over the first time with about a 5 second wait after I pressed the start button.

It did not seem to struggle as much as your TDI did, but of course it was not -15°

I have had similar experiences here in NY with the cold snaps. Leaving work, its about 4 degrees. I press the start button, nothing happens for about three seconds while the glow plug lights up and then it turns over right away.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
With the cold snap that hit Chicago and most of the nation earlier in the week my company gave us Monday off. I decided that it would be a good time to conduct an experiment and see if my Passat would start in -15° temperature after sitting outside of its normal spot in my heated garage. This way if it didn't start I can just go back inside not have to worry about going to work. Here is the vid. I think it did pretty well, but am glad I don't have to do that often. http://youtu.be/My0SIxZU1Bk
Do you use any winterizing diesel additive?

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Supposed to be hovering around -20F tonight when I leave work. That'll be a new low for me. I hope it starts...

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
So here's the video I promised I'd post. According to the car the temp was -15F, according to the NOAA website, which I checked a few minutes after starting the car the temp was -18F in town, a nominal difference.

The car had been sitting since Saturday. Highs since the last drive on Saturday morning were in the low single digits, and according to the charts, the coldest during the period it sat was -22F. Sorry for the poor audio and the unscripted commentary :)

I have been running 6 oz of PS (White Bottle) per tank, only for the extra insurance against gelling in these very cold temps as of late. If we do drop into the -20's and I have a chance, I'll do it again. So far this season the coldest start was -26F, but I did not get that on video. The start at that temp was very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bljarWxif2Y

"not too shabby"

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's pretty awesome right there... can't ask for much more than that. 3 seconds of glow and off she goes! :cool:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
NICE!!! Thing starts better and easier than a gasoline engine at that temperature.

I do want to see the viscosity of our 507.00 oil at -15F!!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Awsome how well these cars will start in the cold, but I'm thankful for my heated garage :D ....

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
I posted this on the "-20f thread" this morning. Since it seems we have two threads going on a similar topic, I thought I'd post it here too. Here's the text as copied from the afore mentioned thread...

Btw, for those using the metric system, this was a -26C (-15F) cold start...

** Beginning of copied info**. So here's the video I promised I'd post. According to the car the temp was -15F, according to the NOAA website, which I checked a few minutes after starting the car the temp was -18F in town, a nominal difference.

The car had been sitting since Saturday. Highs since the last drive on Saturday morning were in the low single digits, and according to the charts, the coldest during the period it sat was -22F. Sorry for the poor audio and the unscripted commentary :)

I have been running 6 oz of PS (White Bottle) per tank, only for the extra insurance against gelling in these very cold temps as of late. If we do drop into the -20's and I have a chance, I'll do it again. So far this season the coldest start was -26F, but I did not get that on video. The start at that temp was very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bljarWxif2Y

"not too shabby"

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
NICE!!! Thing starts better and easier than a gasoline engine at that temperature.

I do want to see the viscosity of our 507.00 oil at -15F!!
I threw a quart of Amsoil 5w30 507 oil and a quart of Delo 15W40 I use in my dodge into our deep chest freezer at -10F The Amsoil shook like a quart of 140W gear oil at room temperature the Delo 15w40 was like shaking a jar or peanut butter :eek:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I threw a quart of Amsoil 5w30 507 oil and a quart of Delo 15W40 I use in my dodge into our deep chest freezer at -10F The Amsoil shook like a quart of 140W gear oil at room temperature the Delo 15w40 was like shaking a jar or peanut butter :eek:
Amsoil does not make a 507.00 VW certified oil.:confused:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
i am thinking about using Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200

anyone know how it compares to mobil 1 esp-m or the stealers castrol?
Liqui Moly is a very highly regarded oil. After the included services (I had the 10K yesterday at the local dealer, and of course they used the Castrol LL03 507.00 oil), I intend to use the Liqui Moly, or perhaps the Pentosin 507.00 oil.

More in line with the thread, yesterday was the coldest start yet for the Passat (although it wouldn't come close to some in this thread) at -6F, and it just started up after about 3-4 seconds on the glow plugs, just like it always does. The engine did not sound in any way abnormal when it cranked and started, and it ran like a top.

iantryinit

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI
My driveway at lake was too deep of snow so left Passat on road for two nights. -28 Celsius(-18.5F) not plugged in to heater and started OK( better than friends '02 F150 in same position). Been a very cold winter and many -30 or -40celsius days. We try and plug in block heater most nights but sometimes dosnt happen.

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
Power Service 911 is intended to be used in the fuel filter, not in the tank. I would not use that in this car at all. makes it run very hot and is not very forgiving to the high pressure pump. Treat before is the best. Not like you do not have at least a day warning. Put a 100 watt light bulb carefully placed along side the filter, and most likely it will start. That is the pinch point for gelled fuel.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Power Service 911 is intended to be used in the fuel filter, not in the tank. I would not use that in this car at all. makes it run very hot and is not very forgiving to the high pressure pump. Treat before is the best. Not like you do not have at least a day warning. Put a 100 watt light bulb carefully placed along side the filter, and most likely it will start. That is the pinch point for gelled fuel.
It's used in both the filter and fuel tank.

http://www.powerservice.com/d911/